Potential Change in Points for Season 12 - VOTE!

F1 2016 | Wednesday @ 9pm EDT

Should we switch to new points?

Yes, I'd like to change so the top 15 finishers score points
35%
No, I think we should keep it as the official F1 scoring
65%

Total votes: 17

jeromef1
Director
Canada
Full Name: Jerome Berthiaume
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Jérôme Berthiaume

Potential Change in Points for Season 12 - VOTE!

Post by jeromef1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm

We are considering changing the points system to allow the top 15 finishers to score points. The thought process behind the change is to keep more people at the back interested since they are more likely to score points, and reduce the occurrence of a rage quit when you get far behind in the race. The management has looked at many points structures and feel simply adding 5 points to what is there now and allowing 5 more positions is the easiest and best change. 

This would be the new points structure:
01. 30pts (25 + 5)
02. 23pts (18 + 5)
03. 20pts (15 + 5)
04. 17pts (12 + 5)
05. 15pts (10 + 5)
06. 13pts (8 + 5)
07. 11pts (6 + 5)
08. 9pts (4 + 5)
09. 7pts (2 + 5)
10. 6pts (1 + 5)
11. 5pts
12. 4pts
13. 3pts
14. 2pts
15. 1pts

We'd like to hear the opinions of the driver on whether we should make the change. Please post that you have voted in the topic.
0 x
PRL Director & Owner

Bobino12
Premium Member
Canada
Full Name: Jean Guy Gelinas

Re: Potential Change in Points for Season 12 - VOTE!

Post by Bobino12 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Voted. That's a very bad idea to change points system. I'm fully against that.

We should stick to the real Formula 1 rules. I don't believe a driver who had a bad race should get points unless he managed to finish in 10th or better. 

I'm surprised to read that some drivers are quitting races because they couldn't get points ? The main goal is to have fun in the most realistic environment like F1.

We should instead create two or more divisions with proper caliber drivers together. That could be more fun for everyone. Maybe with the new F1 2017 game, more drivers will join the league, enough to create divisions like in 2014 and before.

This poll should be suspended until the release of F1 2017 and the subscriptions to the next PRL season.
Last edited by Bobino12 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

LAcadien
Premium Member
Canada
Full Name: Donald Leblanc

Post by LAcadien » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Voted. I like the idea of new points system because it will keep driver in the race even if they get drive throught or losing position they still have chance to score points, will give more battles between racers. We should try it at least and see if its working. If not, we can always come back to the original points system.
0 x
World Drivers Championship S6 D4 (Sahara Force India) (9 wins - 15 podiums - 3 poles - 5 fastest laps) [F1 2013]
World Constructors Championship S6 D4 (Sahara Force India) [F1 2013]

World Drivers Championship S7 D3 (Scuderia Ferrari) [F1 2014]

Zephyr
Elite Member
United States of America
Full Name: Ryan Kings

Post by Zephyr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Voted. I say stick with what we have now.
0 x

patlessard
Premium Member
Jamaica
Full Name: Patrice Lessard

Post by patlessard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:37 pm

voted We should use the point system that comes with the game
0 x
1st WDC S7 D4 Williams
Most Podiums in a Season S7 D4 (16)
Most Points Season S7 D4 (420) tied with Pirac
Most Fastest Laps Season (8) S7 D4 tied with Pirac
All Time Podiums D4 (20)
All Time Pole Positions D4 (12)
All Time Fastest Laps D4 (8)

AtomicTurtle
Veteran Member
United States of America
Full Name: Matthew Puleo

Post by AtomicTurtle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Voted. I agree with keeping it the same. I agree with Bobino about hopefully having more divisions for different skill levels if possible. Even if it's not possible, if anyone wants to get better at the game, they need to practice more. Even if it's just a couple days a week like I do, it helps a lot. Also, it is the nature of the sport to have a couple bad races here and there. People should not be rewarded for having a bad race. It happens to the best of us. The points are the way there are for a reason, and I feel like it would alter the sport to change the points system.

Even if it does change, I will definitely be racing next season.  :mrgreen:
0 x

V6onyourtail
United States of America
Full Name: Michael Kane

Post by V6onyourtail » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Voted...We should stay with our original point system.  When I was a kid, the only way anyone could get recognized for excellence in sports was to get a Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal. NO other recognition was given out.  This way of giving out recognition forced kids to want to do better, thus they would "work" harder to get recognized.  Now-a-days, kids are actually getting trophy's for just participating in sports.  Heck, kids are even getting a trophy for being on the team and not participating.  This is teaching kids that they are "entitled" to some kind of recognition for doing nothing.  On the other hand, the kids that do well and deserve to be recognized in a proper way feel ripped off.  Yes, this is happening in many school sports as we speak.  How depressing.
0 x

AtomicTurtle
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by AtomicTurtle » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 pm

V6onyourtail wrote: Voted...We should stay with our original point system.  When I was a kid, the only way anyone could get recognized for excellence in sports was to get a Gold, Silver, or Bronze medal. NO other recognition was given out.  This way of giving out recognition forced kids to want to do better, thus they would "work" harder to get recognized.  Now-a-days, kids are actually getting trophy's for just participating in sports.  Heck, kids are even getting a trophy for being on the team and not participating.  This is teaching kids that they are "entitled" to some kind of recognition for doing nothing.  On the other hand, the kids that do well and deserve to be recognized in a proper way feel ripped off.  Yes, this is happening in many school sports as we speak.  How depressing.
Completely agree. What a shame...
0 x

DEADZERO
Premium Member
Canada
Full Name: Christian

Post by DEADZERO » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Voted. I like the change, encourages battles even in the back. We won't get enough players to have a 2nd tier. The slower guys can fight for points in the back. The guys at the front of the leaderboards can't possibly feel threatened by a guy coming in 12th consistently. I say try it at least. What's wrong with participation points? This isn't a tournament, this is a league to promote casual competitive racing. Keeping it at the standard system is too serious. Look how many drives came and left. Guys need to stop treating this like it's a tournament to win millions.
0 x
Project 2 - Pineapple Boyz - Lead Foot Racing
PRL iRacing Results: Wins (3) / Podiums (7) / Top-Five (12)

Zephyr
Elite Member
United States of America

Post by Zephyr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 pm

AtomicTurtle wrote: Voted. I agree with keeping it the same. I agree with Bobino about hopefully having more divisions for different skill levels if possible. Even if it's not possible, if anyone wants to get better at the game, they need to practice more. Even if it's just a couple days a week like I do, it helps a lot. Also, it is the nature of the sport to have a couple bad races here and there. People should not be rewarded for having a bad race. It happens to the best of us. The points are the way there are for a reason, and I feel like it would alter the sport to change the points system.

Even if it does change, I will definitely be racing next season.  :mrgreen:
The point u made about a few days week is totally true. For some people that dont believe that, look at my performances before Monaco (R5). I went from my best qually being 12th to qualifying consistently in the top 5. All it took was a few hours of TT a week and it really does make a difference. More points are not needed for everyone to stay competitive. Hard work and dedication is the way to improve, not by making the league "reward" players who made mistakes in the race. If u crash or make a major mistake, it SHOULD make it hard to get points. Thats how racing is
0 x

VeXSocks
Great Britain
Full Name: Jonathan Curtis

Post by VeXSocks » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:30 am

Voted: Players who actually WANT points will get better to earn those points if they are out of the scoring. Lazy players who want points for showing up drags down the skill of a whole league and the effort of the drivers imho. What I do propose is a stats tab, average qual, average points, biggest gains from their qualifying position, on break weeks have something like half season rewards ... just for bragging rights if anything. Racing well is fun, whether you are in 1st or last, close racing is what is fun, if you just race for points then make sure you are a good racer.

Edit: If you are signing up to a league to win points, you ARE taking it serious and so a serious point system is EXACTLY what you want. If you need points to have fun, then you are taking it like a tournament, some drivers sign up to enjoy racing, some to score, some in between. If you sign up just to get points, drive better and faster and don't just quit. If you quit a race just because you aren't scoring points, you take it as serious as the guys fighting for the title so don't ask for hand outs.
Last edited by VeXSocks on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

nickthequick
Stewards
United States of America
Full Name: Nick Delp
iRacing ID: Nicholas Delp

Post by nickthequick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 am

voted
0 x
Follow my Twitch channel here: www.twitch.tv/simracingam
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6E_Bucgr5WSRMHA6cryNQ

nickthequick
Stewards
United States of America
Full Name: Nick Delp
iRacing ID: Nicholas Delp

Post by nickthequick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:53 am

really appreciate the comments guys!
0 x
Follow my Twitch channel here: www.twitch.tv/simracingam
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6E_Bucgr5WSRMHA6cryNQ

piboye
Elite Member
United States of America
Full Name: Drake Ranquist

Post by piboye » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am

Even though I don't finish in the points every race, I'd rather keep it the same as the official rules. By not scoring points in some races, it makes the races where I do score points all the more special.
0 x

DEADZERO
Premium Member
Canada

Post by DEADZERO » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 am

It's not that it's too serious but it give you something small for your efforts. My partner was fast but isn't playing anymore because he got spun out too often by careless drives and he doesn't see a point in staying if he gets nothing for staying in it. It's not always about if you have a bad race, it could just be someone who messes up your race. Calling it a handout is arrogant.

Edit: also to add, not everyone has the time to practice in TT like many of us. I do at the moment but there are some who dont. So you can't always say practice more because that's not an option for everyone.

This pole needs to be open for longer to allow for many more responses instead of just from those people who are really active on here.

I want to point out that the majority in the other F1 leagues like this point system, check it out yourself.
0 x

AtomicTurtle
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by AtomicTurtle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:24 pm

DEADZERO wrote: It's not that it's too serious but it give you something small for your efforts. My partner was fast but isn't playing anymore because he got spun out too often by careless drives and he doesn't see a point in staying if he gets nothing for staying in it. It's not always about if you have a bad race, it could just be someone who messes up your race. Calling it a handout is arrogant.

Edit: also to add, not everyone has the time to practice in TT like many of us. I do at the moment but there are some who dont. So you can't always say practice more because that's not an option for everyone.

This pole needs to be open for longer to allow for many more responses instead of just from those people who are really active on here.

I want to point out that the majority in the other F1 leagues like this point system, check it out yourself.
Which other leagues are implementing a different points system? Could you post a link? I'm genuinely curious to see how the others have gone about this change.

And I am sorry about your teammate, but this is why we say it is a good idea to record all your races. If the wrecks are repeatedly other drivers' faults, actions can be taken to fix this. It is very encouraged to do this this, as it may also help others who could potentially be taken out in future races as well.
0 x

DEADZERO
Premium Member
Canada

Post by DEADZERO » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Look in the European and PS4 sub-forums on here.
0 x

Zephyr
Elite Member
United States of America

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I think we should have everyone who shows up in TS tomorrow for the race tomorrow go to this page and vote if they haven't yet. Only 11 people have voted so far and this is a very important topic.
0 x

Plasmaraider
Veteran Member
Germany
Full Name: Jordan Johnson

Post by Plasmaraider » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Voted, im completely against it, the F1 points system is supposed to allow for the best drivers and teams to score points, and it should stay that way, adding 5 points wont change anything but just give everyone points for every race and wouldnt keep its competitive value. Its the same way as looking at it like a participation award, just because you show up doesnt mean you get something, yea crashes happen and people get taken out and moved to the back of the field, but guess what, thats motorsports
0 x
I once won a race...
World Constructors Championship S10 (Reanult) [F1 2016]

Holes
Rookie Member
United States of America
Full Name: Chris Pangborn

Post by Holes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:43 pm

voted
0 x

Return to “American F1 2016 PC Championship [S11] - Sponsored by V6onyourtail”