Round 2: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Grand Prix (June 23)

**Broadcasted** | TUESDAY | Practice @ 6:20pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EDT)
Season start on June 16th and end on August 25th
AaronWebb85
Manager
United States of America
Full Name: Aaron Webb
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Aaron Webb

Round 2: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Grand Prix (June 23)

Post by AaronWebb85 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:22 am

Race Time of day: 2020-06-20 19:30
Race Length: 60 minutes
Max Incidents: Drive through at 13x, DSQ at 20x
Max Fuel: 65%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0

Pre-Race Notes

Okay gentlemen, welcome to Round #2 at the world renowned Circuit di Monza. Also dubbed "The Cathedral of Speed", known for it's long fast straights, the challenging Lesmo's, the infamous and treacherous Turn 1 and of course, The Parabolica bend.

Racing at Monza

It is no secret as many of you drivers who race in the official iRacing IMSA series can attest that racing at Monza, particularly as it relates to turn 1 on lap 1 is no laughing matter. Many a races have been ended just mere meters and only seconds after the start/finish line because some "Yahoo" thought he could send it in three or four wide from 10 car lengths back and obliterate half of the running field. Here at Precision Racing League, we pride ourselves on being level headed racers who are able to maintain composure and drive to within our limits. So to that end, let me start these notes by saying that as we take the green flag next Tuesday and we approach the very tight confines of turn 1 & 2, and subsequently turns 3 & 4 (the 2nd chicane's) that we 'ALL" remember that it is imperative to give each other room to race. We DO NOT want any three wide situations going into turn 1 as this will 100% of the time fail. I have yet to see a successful three wide condition going into turn 1 with the GTE cars. This is particularly true if you find yourself starting outside of the top 10 and onto the back of the field who will be carrying much more speed as they approach the braking zone of turn 1. Also remember that if you are towards the mid or back of the pack, your braking zone is at least 50 meters longer than the top 10 drivers heading into turn 1. So please help make our jobs a little easier when having to review all of lap 1 after the race. As a reminder, all incidents on lap 1 are automatically reviewed and submitted to the stewards for penalty awards. 

Aside from the obvious statements above, Monza is a real treat for racers who find themselves battling in groups of cars as the draft effect here is greater than at shorter tracks. As a matter of fact, if you want to be in it at the end, the draft is going to play a vital role in helping you accomplish your goals. The ends of the long straights are perfect overtaking opportunities if you are timed and positioned just right for an overtake. Just remember, your responsibility as the overtaking car is to make the pass cleanly. And the job of the car being overtaken is to never block the lane once an overtaking driver has established his position on you. You are allowed one move to either the outside or inside of the racing track and that's it. A 2nd move is considered blocking and is a protestable offense. 

Speaking of protestable offenses, we did witness several instances of drivers using their flashing lights at Interlagos. The only time you are to use your flashing lights is when you are passing a lapped car and indicating that you want to pass at the next available opportunity. THAT'S IT!!! You should in no way, especially if the car in front is for position, should be using your flashers for any other reason. Any offenders found breaking this rule will be reported!

Pit entry and exit really need no warnings except for when you are pitting in, you may just want to announce your intentions if you have someone trailing close behind you so that you minimize the risk of getting rammed in the rear of your car. Likewise, when you are exiting the pit lane, be sure that you are monitoring your relative black box to see where cars are on track relative to your position and exiting speed. The last thing you want to happen to you is to get collected by cars screaming down the front straight in a drag race towards turn 1. Also, for drivers on the front straight, it is your responsibility to know when someone is exiting the pit lane as their speed will be at a huge disadvantage to yours. Proceed with caution is all that we are advising you to do.

The rest of Monza is a racers paradise when battling for position. And then there is always the fuel saving strategy for a shorter pit stop. Which one will you choose?  :)

As a reminder, for the start of the race, the pole sitter always has control of the field. We ask that the pole sitter not create a check-up situation as we saw at Interlagos but that you maintain a steady speed to control the field behind you. You will gain no advantage at Monza by jump starting the field as they will simply draft together and catch you in a matter of a few corners.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Final Thoughts

We want everyone to enjoy being a part of our community here at PRL. We also want to convey that we appreciate each and every one of you. We want to thank you for showing up each week in support of the league and the broadcast on the GSRC. The attention that we are gaining is becoming evident as I have already been approached by several individuals wanting to know what it would take to race this very season with us. So we want to encourage you to keep up the good work. Each one of you are relevant to the success of our league and community and you are all valued as individuals. Let's keep up the good work that we are doing here. Race hard, and compete harder but at the end of the day, remember that we are all friends sharing a hobby that we love. This is supposed to be fun first before anything else. 

Good luck out there on Tuesday and we'll see you on the virtual raceways.

Cristian & Kenny
1 x
PRL Manager and Steward
Career Stats
8 Wins, 53 Podiums, 15 Poles, 22 Fastest Laps
PS4 pCars Friday Series S1 Driver Champion
7 Time Team Champion

teddywoods72
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Ted Loewendick
iRacing ID: Ted Loewendick

Re: Round 2: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Grand Prix (June 23)

Post by teddywoods72 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi all, I'm going to host a practice session again tonight. It will start at 9PM ET, end 1AM ET.
No password. Everyone in the league should have access. 
2 x

teddywoods72
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Ted Loewendick
iRacing ID: Ted Loewendick

Post by teddywoods72 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:45 pm

teddywoods72 wrote: Hi all, I'm going to host a practice session again tonight. It will start at 9PM ET, end 1AM ET.
No password. Everyone in the league should have access. 
And yes, all FOUR cars are available this week  :lol:
2 x

Ken Rodriguez
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Kenneth Rodriguez

Post by Ken Rodriguez » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:23 am

Link to the lap one review on YouTube:

1 x

rrusso
Rookie Member
Brazil
Full Name: Rafael Russo
iRacing ID: 355007

Post by rrusso » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:51 am

Nice race guys...was puting beamer in a solid p8 when had an incident with Lucas 2 laps to go, but finished in a good p10

Good fights with Ross, Calquin, Paim and Gonzalez.

Result was way better than i imagine for BMW in this track

Now look forward to Watkins Glen
0 x

westracing01
United States of America
Full Name: Michael Ross
iRacing ID: Michael M Ross

Post by westracing01 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:33 am

Rafael you have that bimmer going really good. The review had a quick shot of what I saw between Meezs and Chris. I saw them get together and go to the right, then a car moved over to block my view so I turned it left and everyone was checking up. That was 50/50 me taking advantage of the situation/trying to go where they weren't but have enough clear track to get on the brakes without locking them up on cold tires and making the situation worse. I didn't really want to have that angle into the 2nd chicane. If there was a yellow flag for that, I didn't see it by the time I got there.

Glad to get a good run out of Monza. Was hoping for better since I had pace in the official practices and races, but that didn't materialize in the league run. Track and Ambient temps were higher than just about anything I'd seen during the week. I thought it was a little on the tight side but I was very hesitant to loosen the car up given how free the back ends of the cars are as it is. Probably hurt me in the long run but the two jam ups in the 1st and 2nd chicanes broke any hope to catch the draft of the top 5/6 cars and without that I watched them slowly drive away.

Looking forward to the next three tracks, hopefully can build on this good run and challenge for some top 5's.
0 x

Return to “GTE Sportscar Series [2020/S3] - Sponsored by SIMMSA”