Round 5: Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Grand Prix (July 14)

**Broadcasted** | TUESDAY | Practice @ 6:20pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EDT)
Season start on June 16th and end on August 25th
AaronWebb85
Manager
United States of America
Full Name: Aaron Webb
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Aaron Webb

Round 5: Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Grand Prix (July 14)

Post by AaronWebb85 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 am

Race Time of day: 2020-07-11 8:45
Race Length: 60 minutes
Max Incidents: Drive through at 13x, DSQ at 20x
Max Fuel: 65%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0

PRE-RACE NOTES

Welcome boys to the half way point of our season. Round 5 of the Tuesday night GTE series visits the notorious track of Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e' Dino Ferrari also known simply as Imola! Unfortunately made famous by the passing of some of Formula 1's greatest legends. Being a huge sim racing fan favorite because this track hosts just about every type of racing available with a total of 17 turns, this round is sure to produce some really great side by side racing and battles for positions. This is certainly one round that you do not want to miss. If you've missed any rounds so far this season, do not miss this one. Get in here and race with us!

Racing at Imola

Racing at Imola starts on the start/finish straight. Heading into turn one which is the Tamburello left/right/left chicane complex tends to produce in most instances a three wide scenario which has proven  to be deadly in past races. For lap 1, we are strongly discouraging creating a three wide situation headed into the Tamburello chicanes by any means necessary. We strongly encourage you all to give each other space to race on the racing surface. Please do not pinch anyone to either the inside or outside of the racing surface for any reason. Please maintain control of your car at all times. If you are mid-pack and farther back, know that your braking zone is going to be longer so be prepared to get on the binders a few meters sooner. Be situationally aware of your surroundings at all times. 

If you by chance find yourself off track, you must be careful on your rejoin efforts. Do not simply come back onto the racing surface without regard to the cars that are racing on track. Doing so, especially on lap 1, will get reviewed and submitted for protest immediately to the race stewards and penalties can be awarded post-race. So far this season, it seems that the first lap Orange Zone has worked very well to curb aggressive or reckless driving habits which makes the first lap reviews so much easier. And it also goes a long way on the Live Broadcasts.

Another area of challenge for racers is the Variante Alta chicane (turns 11 & 12) at the top of the hill entering the third sector of the track. With its aggressively high curbs, if your car setup is not meant to tackle these beasts, you could find yourself on the outs as other drivers whiz by you heading down the hill into turn 14 (Rivazza).

Approaching the pit cycle times, it might be best for you to remember that after the final turn heading onto the start/finish straight, you may want to take a middle of the road approach as the pit entrance lies directly on the racing line and as drivers need to slow down sufficiently to enter the pits at the speed limit, you do not want to rear end a car heading in for service. And likewise, if you are attempting to enter pit road for service, make sure that you are staying as far right of the racing surface as you can and announce your pit intentions. 

The pit exit is also equally important as the exit is right on the racing line for cars out on track. You must be aware and monitoring your "Relative" black box for oncoming cars. And the same holds true for drivers already out on track.Remember that the exiting car has every right to be there on the right hand side of the track and does not need to yield the racing surface to you. As a driver already on track, you are to merge a bit to the left hand side of the track to facilitate a driver coming out on track.  As the exiting car, it your responsibility to get up to speed as quickly as possible. PLEASE DO NOT HALF THROTTLE COMING OUT OF THE PITS.

The remainder of Imola is perfect for bumper to bumper and fender to fender battling. Just remember to keep the racing clean and do not take any one of your racing mates out of the race. Race hard, but race clean and fair.

Final Thoughts

I'd like to remind everyone that PRL has a rule in place against using your "flashers" for anything other than to show your intention to pass. While this group has been really good with this process, I have seen a few that have taken some liberties with flashing their lights from over .5 second back at a driver they are looking to overtake while on the same lap. This is a no go in this league and I have to remind everyone that being caught doing so is a protestable offense punishable by a penalty. You do not want to lose driver championship points because you were aggressive with flashing your lights. We are 5 rounds into this season and for the most part, being someone who drives mid to rear pack, I feel that we are mostly very cooperative with faster cars. But just because you are faster in no way gives you the right to expect a car that is in front of you, on the same lap and battling for position with you to just move over and surrender the position. If an individual decides to do so of their own accord, then that is a different story and is allowed. Let's keep that in mind and before you hit that Flash headlights button, think about what you're doing.

Remember also that this series is broadcast live on the GSRC channel. The league has also worked hard to secure sponsorship for this series and we owe it to the sponsors to put on a good show as without their support, we'd be paying significantly more to race here at PRL which has grown exponentially into one of iRacing's premier leagues.

So with that, I want to wish you all best of luck in our Round 5 race. Let's get out there and put on a good show.

Your Organizers,
Cristian & Kenny

PS: This is a reminder that there is no racing next Tuesday, July 21, 2020. Racing will resume with Round 6 at Spa-Francorchamps on Tuesday, July 27, 2020.
1 x
PRL Manager and Steward
Career PRL Stats
8 Wins, 53 Podiums, 15 Poles, 23 Fastest Laps
PS4 pCars Friday Series S1 Driver Champion
7 Time Team Champion

teddywoods72
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Ted Loewendick
iRacing ID: Ted Loewendick

Re: Round 5: Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Grand Prix (July 14)

Post by teddywoods72 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:40 pm

HosTed PRL Round 5 -IMOLA- Practice goes live at 7:45 PM tonight.
5 Hour session. Might be a little dark at first, but conditions should be very similar to what the IMSA sessions were like.
Starting Track State: 50% Usage
1 x

westracing01
United States of America
Full Name: Michael Ross
iRacing ID: Michael M Ross

Re: Round 5: Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari - Grand Prix (July 14)

Post by westracing01 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:03 pm

I have a feeling this one could be a wild and wooly affair.
0 x

Ken Rodriguez
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Kenneth Rodriguez

Post by Ken Rodriguez » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm

LAP 1 REVIEW VIDEO LINK
Video will post in about a half hour after it is done processing. Check back then.
1 x

westracing01
United States of America
Full Name: Michael Ross
iRacing ID: Michael M Ross

Post by westracing01 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 am

Good Lord that was a mess. I knew coming in qualifying was going to be a premium because this place is both easy and hard to pass on... If that makes sense. It must be my driving style, or the way I take the chicanes, because where I was fast were places you cannot make a pass.

Good race. I'll take my 3rd straight top 5 and go to the midway break with that. Had a small heart attack on the start when I saw Don start to shove it three wide. That was a little bit my fault. Haven't had a good start here all week. Leaders have been waiting real late to go. If I tried to start in 2nd gear it bogged, if I went to 1st gear it got no jump, so when I went it sort of bottled up Don. Luckily discretion was the better part of valor and I took it deep into Tamburello, Chris gave some room and we all got on our way.

All the shenanigans were behind me thank God and I saw that mess at Alta in my mirror. Got by Cristian who had that Porsche flying in qualifying. Had reasonable race pace. Had a chance at Bruno a couple of times after he made two mistakes but I knew he was faster and pressing the issue wouldn't have done anyone any good so I tried to apply some pressure but just fell in line. After the pit stop he remembered how to drive and took off.

Don kept me honest though, that 3.5s gap we had never really grew or shrank. Was getting a little worried on fuel toward the end because I hedged my bet a little. If we went 36 laps I need 9.5gallons, if we went 37 laps I needed 10.3gallons so I took 10 gallons even at the pit stop and hoped to save a little if we went 37. I think it would have worked but maybe I do need to get some sort of calculator to tell me total laps we're going to run... LOL. I think Abner was laughing at my lack of technical prowess in the chat after the race. Haha.

All in all, a good race. I feel I drove well and with 0 incidents and a top 5 at this joint, I'll take it.
2 x

Paulowsky21
Premium Member
Chile
Full Name: Paulo Munoz

Post by Paulowsky21 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Was there really no action taken for the pile up on lap 1?
2 x

Ken Rodriguez
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Kenneth Rodriguez

Post by Ken Rodriguez » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Paulowsky21 wrote: Was there really no action taken for the pile up on lap 1?
It is being reviewed. From my perspective, what happened at Variante Alta was a Racing incident but I'm not a Steward so I cannot make that call. 

The 2nd incident reviewed at the two left-handers is questionable and perhaps a bad judgement call by the driver which caused the wreck..
0 x

Return to “GTE Sportscar Series [2020/S3] - Sponsored by SIMMSA”