Round 2: Watkins Glen International - Boot (June 22)

**Broadcasted** | MONDAY | Practice @ 6pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EDT)
Season start on June 15th and end on August 17th
AaronWebb85
Manager
United States of America
Full Name: Aaron Webb
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Aaron Webb

Round 2: Watkins Glen International - Boot (June 22)

Post by AaronWebb85 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 am

Race Time of day: 2020-06-20 15:15
Race Length: 45 minutes
Max Incidents: Drive through at 16x, DSQ at 24x
Max Fuel: 33% (approx 10 gal./38 liters)
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 1

PRE-RACE NOTES
Alright boys! Welcome to round 2 at Watkins Glen. 
Racing at Watkins Glen
  • The Watkins Boot layout is a high speed, fast paced circuit with 11 turns incorporating mostly fast paced sweepers with one or two challenging tighter turns. As with most venues visited, lap one is a key component to your success at The Glen. Entering turn 1, you are going to have to give each other plenty of room to race. Be cautious on your entry for if you go in too hot, you will over cook the corner and slide wide and run the risk of taking yourself and a fellow competitor or competitors out of the race.
  • Likewise as we head up through the esses, on lap 1 this tends to produce a lot of side by side racing. If you are going to go side by side through the esses, you had better make sure to HOLD YOUR LINE and stick to your side of the racing surface. A wreck in the esses 9 times out of 10 spells disaster for a good part of the field. Although we have 1 fast repair, to have to use it on lap 1 places you at a much higher risk to not finish the race and lose valuable driver championship points.
  • The bus stop represents a fantastic opportunity for overtaking if you are fortunate enough to get a good run on the car in front of you. BUT BE WARNED; entering two wide into the bus stop will almost certainly end in heartbreak for one or both of you . If you know the car behind you has the run and has taken that spot, better to lift and try and over under around the carousel. Believe us, it can be done!
  • The rest of the track is for the most part an open affair that will take precision focus to remain fast lap after lap. Pick and choose your battles wisely and you are almost certainly assured a good finishing position. But lose focus and or concentration and The Glen will show you that she plays no favorites.
  • Pit entrance here is immediately after the final turn 11 and takes you from a wide track out all the way to the right to pit entrance. Most drivers will find themselves approaching and apexing the final turn a bit slower. It might be worth you announcing your pit intentions beforehand if you see you have cars behind you. Likewise, pit exit dumps you very close to the racing line heading towards the esses. Approaching cars should be mindful of cars exiting the pits. Likewise the exiting car should be well aware of their surroundings especially if two cars exit turn 1 and they are racing for position. The cars out on the track have the right of way, however the far right lane immediately after pit exit belongs to the exiting car.
**NOTE: We encourage you to practice pit entrance!!! 
There is "plenty" of time before the qualifying session whereby you can practice pit entrance. Much like Brands Hatch, this entry can produce challenges. But there is no reason for anyone to be very slow on pit entrance and braking too soon. Please, if you do nothing else, heed this advice round after round. It will be to your benefit and the benefit of those pitting in behind you.
Final Thoughts
I want to remind everyone here that it takes a community of like-minded individuals to build this racing league. As we progress through this season, we encourage you to reflect on your abilities and performance. Round 1 had been for the most part a good round, however there is always room for improvement. 
I'll remind everyone of the league policy on overtaking and facilitating a pass:
8. Corner Rights
  1. If a car has sufficient overlap at the turn-in point of the corner, then cornering room must be given by both cars to allow the cars to take the corner together.
    1. ‘Sufficient overlap’ or ‘overlap’ is defined as having any part your front wheels alongside the rear wheels of the car ahead. A following car has the right to it’s established line any time that it has overlap. Leading or defending cars must yield to this right to road.
    2. In order to be entitled to space at corner exit, the following car must maintain overlap throughout the corner. Having overlap at turn-in does not grant you space entitlement at corner exit by default. If sufficient overlap is not kept throughout the corner then the leading car has the right to choose any line he wishes at the corner exit and the trailing car must then yield.
    3. If 2 cars enter a corner with overlap and that overlap is maintained throughout the entire corner, the car on the inside must maintain an inside line throughout the entire corner and the car on the outside must maintain an outside line throughout the entire corner. If any car narrows or tightens his radius which results in him ‘crossing lines’ from outside to inside or vice versa, that driver will be at fault for any contact that ensues.
And

9. Defending Your Position
  1. More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
  2. Any driver defending their position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his.
  3. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wheel of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.
  4. Blocking is not permitted at any time.
    1. Any deviation by a driver from the racing line, that is a reaction to a move from the trailing driver which impedes the trailing drivers forward progress, is not permitted at any time.
    2. You are entitled to choose your racing line, and positioning your car on the inside line is a fair manner to defend your position. However, you must position your car on this defensive line before the trailing driver attempts to pass you, and not as a reaction to his attempt.
    3. The ahead driver must not make any malicious or inappropriate braking or slowing maneuvers. Leading drivers must never 'brake test' the car(s) behind them, swerve in a braking zone, or try to break a tow. The leading driver is entitled to be slower or use longer and earlier braking zones than the trailing driver. They are also entitled to use whichever racing line they choose.
  5. Maneuvers liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

And

10. Being Lapped
  1. As soon as a driver is caught by another driver who is about to lap him, the driver who is about be lapped must allow the lapping driver past at the first available opportunity. He must do this safely, and with minimal disruption. He should be predictable, and he shouldn’t brake hard or quickly change his racing line.
  2. If you have been lapped due to a pit cycle, you can only attempt to unlap yourself if the lapping car clearly loses pace or makes a mistake which allows you to pass. However, if the lapping car regains pace and catches back up to you, you must again allow it to pass.

That is all. Let's get out there and have fun racing guys. Get to know your competitors. It's still early in the season and we might still see some incidents, but the avoidable ones shouldn't be as we head into round 2. Good luck. 

Mark, David & Kenny
3 x
PRL Manager and Steward
Career PRL Stats
8 Wins, 53 Podiums, 15 Poles, 23 Fastest Laps
PS4 pCars Friday Series S1 Driver Champion
7 Time Team Champion

SimracerMartin
Rookie Member
Austria
Full Name: Martin Potocnik
iRacing ID: 411778

Re: Round 2: Watkins Glen International - Boot (June 22)

Post by SimracerMartin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 am

Round 2 needs to be my Drop Race. I´m sorry, but I can´t compete on that date. :(

I hope this is the right place to mention that. :)
0 x

TheGreatC81
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: David Cristelli
iRacing ID: David Cristelli

Post by TheGreatC81 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:45 am

SimracerMartin wrote: Round 2 needs to be my Drop Race. I´m sorry, but I can´t compete on that date. :(

I hope this is the right place to mention that. :)
Yes, this is the place. Sorry you can't make the race, but thanks for letting us know. 
1 x

TheGreatC81
Organiser
United States of America

Post by TheGreatC81 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:40 am

Since some guys may not be used to dealing with blue flags, I wanted to share what I do as I think it works very well.
First, I keep an eye on my relative so I'm not taken by surprise, and I know who I need to let by and who I need to defend against. Once a lapping car is behind me, I continue driving my normal line and let him get close enough to make a move. I find it's best to let the lapping car initiate the overtake. Once he does, I will give him room (if done in a corner) or lift (if on a straight). It sounds simple because it is. No need to overthink it. Done right, both cars will lose very little time and the possibility of an incident is pretty low. I do not make a move before the lapping car for a couple reasons. If he's not ready, I will have slowed us both down and he'll still be behind me. And if I do something unpredictable (which is anything outside of driving my racing line), it may end up causing an incident.

Of course, you can also communicate over the radio to let others know your intentions. If a lapped car wants to pull over and slow down on a straight to let faster cars by, that's ok, but not required. Just be sure you are not making yourself a hazard when you do it. Also keep in mind that if some lapped cars are followed by a car you are fighting for position, you cannot suddenly pull out in front of them to keep them from getting by you. That is blocking and will get you protested.

Now, you fast guys need to be patient. Dealing with back markers is part of racing. If you need to wait a couple corners for a safe place to pass, so be it. A blue flag is not permission to divebomb or force slower cars off the circuit because you don't want to lose a few tenths by compromising your line. Nor do we want to hear drivers yelling, "Blue flag! Blue flag!" on the radio because you didn't get by the second you got behind them. Be reasonable and keep in mind that those drivers may have a battle going on. The idea is to disrupt both or your races as little as possible. No one's race is more important than anyone else's.

From time to time there will also be faster guys who find themselves a lap or laps down from an incident. Just because their name is blue on the relative doesn't mean you can't let them by. They have the right to try to unlap themselves if they have the pace. Basically, if you are not fighting them for position, why slow yourself down defending against them? All that will do is force them to try something risky and possibly take you both out. Pick your battles wisely.

Re-entering the circuit: Please remember that if you go off the circuit, you do not have the right to force other cars to avoid you when you re-enter. I know it sucks to get stuck waiting while position after position flies by, but don't compound your mistake by involving more drivers.

Feel free to ask questions and discuss this kind of stuff. The more we understand each other, the few incidents we'll have, and the more fun the racing will be. We had a great start last week. Let's keep it going.
0 x

Mark Phile
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Mark Phile
iRacing ID: Mark Phile

Post by Mark Phile » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Race Day Alert!!!!!

Ok gang to the Glen we go, the practice session i had been in it was hot, and the tires fell off super quick! Im curious how the strategy plays into tonight’s race? Lets have fun see everyone tonight!
1 x
Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers...

gebowen
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Glen Bowen
iRacing ID: 265707

Post by gebowen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm

My network decided to disconnect at 6:15 PST and when I tried to get back in the race it wouldn’t allow me.  
0 x

Hothands13
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Brian Hotham
iRacing ID: Brian Hotham

Post by Hothands13 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:45 pm

gebowen wrote: My network decided to disconnect at 6:15 PST and when I tried to get back in the race it wouldn’t allow me.  
No Glen at the Glen?! That stinks man. Do you run of WiFi or run a cat5 cable?
0 x

gebowen
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Glen Bowen
iRacing ID: 265707

Post by gebowen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Hothands13 wrote:
gebowen wrote: My network decided to disconnect at 6:15 PST and when I tried to get back in the race it wouldn’t allow me.  
No Glen at the Glen?! That stinks man. Do you run of WiFi or run a cat5 cable?
WiFi, but I have gig internet and usually get around 500 mbps on WiFi.  I think it might have been a CenturyLink issue. 
0 x

Mark Phile
Organiser
United States of America

Post by Mark Phile » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:01 pm

Wow, i had some fierce battles tonight, and my last one with Diego was the bummer as i lost p10 with 2 corners to go! Diego i gave you all i had, but you were way faster, I was playing some serious defense 🤣. Congrats to the podium, see everyone next week!
1 x

diegomorales
Rookie Member
Brazil
Full Name: Diego Morales
iRacing ID: Diego Morales3

Post by diegomorales » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 am

Mark Phile wrote: Wow, i had some fierce battles tonight, and my last one with Diego was the bummer as i lost p10 with 2 corners to go! Diego i gave you all i had, but you were way faster, I was playing some serious defense 🤣. Congrats to the podium, see everyone next week!
hahaha I wanted that position sooo badly, Mark! You were a gentlemen and gave me plenty of room. Thanks so much for the fair racing, man. It was really fun :)

Two races that I should have been in the top 5 (or close to that) and made terrible mistakes. At least didn't screw anyone race in this one. Really need a good result the next week!

See you all around again.
And thanks again for the clean race :)
1 x

Magnan431
Rookie Member
Canada
Full Name: Philippe Magnan

Post by Magnan431 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:35 am

Exactly same problem for me got to start from pit !! And during the race three times flag men dont wave yellow flag at uphill section so dangerous!!
0 x

Gary Schilling
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Gary Schilling
iRacing ID: Gary Schilling

Post by Gary Schilling » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am

Not sure what the deal is. From the time I enter the sim I had problems shifting. Good connection and FR.
Thought it was the car. I would get a stutter then it would not shift. Towards the end of the race it got worse causing a tap going into the boot. Drove my tail of in the opening laps to get into 16th only to have this issue. Sorry to anyone who got caught up in it.
0 x

barryf1fan
Rookie Member
United States of America
Full Name: Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID: Jon B Cochrane

Post by barryf1fan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:43 am

So had a really good time last nigh at the Glen... Managed to finish, again, which is a positive - and last night didn't have to use my fast repair. So overall not too bad.
I did bump someone on lap two going into the "toe" or turn 7.  It was a very slight touch, but it was just enough that the driver (I think it was Zambelli... ?? ) just lost the back end.  I felt like an idiot of course, and AGAIN couldn't find my stupid ALL Teams talk button, will definitely be relocating it to a more usable place on my wheel.  I did pull over though and waited for the driver to go past. 
I know that doesn't make up for the mistake, but it was the best I could do.  I think we were in 23rd and 24th when it happened and we went straight to the back of the field, as he had to wait for a place to rejoin, and I was off the track waiting for him to go by.
Anyway, did I handle that right?  I know the best way would to not do it in the first place, but again it was an accident and I just braked later than he did.  I think he was taking an early apex and I generally was taking a late apex for turn 7 so we both had different braking marks. . .  Well, I was just wondering.  Thanks.
3 x

barryf1fan
Rookie Member
United States of America
Full Name: Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID: Jon B Cochrane

Post by barryf1fan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:50 am

btw, meant to add that Brian Matthews and I had a great late race battle - and who cares if it was at the back of the grid!! :lol: 

We were freight training around the track and havin' a good 'ole time.  He was faster in certain parts of the track and I was faster in others. Good time!!
1 x

brettclutch
Rookie Member
United States of America
Full Name: Brett Barrett
iRacing ID: 418964

Post by brettclutch » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Great race all was fun!

Gary,

I had one area where I couldn't get my car to shift for several seconds then was fine. First time I ever experienced it and threw me for a second. It was a notable event that I was wondering if my wheel switch was starting to fail or something else was going on. It was an upshift between turn 9 and turn 10. Since you mentioned trouble shifting thought I would share that event as well. It was only one time during the whole race so not as bad as what you report.
0 x

Gary Schilling
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Gary Schilling
iRacing ID: Gary Schilling

Post by Gary Schilling » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 pm

I talked with Sam Maxwell who builds my wheels.
He said there are several that are having this happen.
Jerome had a similar issue during the 24 . He had his brakes stop working and wrecked the car.
0 x

Mark Phile
Organiser
United States of America

Post by Mark Phile » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:59 pm

barryf1fan wrote: So had a really good time last nigh at the Glen... Managed to finish, again, which is a positive - and last night didn't have to use my fast repair. So overall not too bad.
I did bump someone on lap two going into the "toe" or turn 7.  It was a very slight touch, but it was just enough that the driver (I think it was Zambelli... ?? ) just lost the back end.  I felt like an idiot of course, and AGAIN couldn't find my stupid ALL Teams talk button, will definitely be relocating it to a more usable place on my wheel.  I did pull over though and waited for the driver to go past. 
I know that doesn't make up for the mistake, but it was the best I could do.  I think we were in 23rd and 24th when it happened and we went straight to the back of the field, as he had to wait for a place to rejoin, and I was off the track waiting for him to go by.
Anyway, did I handle that right?  I know the best way would to not do it in the first place, but again it was an accident and I just braked later than he did.  I think he was taking an early apex and I generally was taking a late apex for turn 7 so we both had different braking marks. . .  Well, I was just wondering.  Thanks.
Hey it happens to all of us, just ask Richards 🤣, but no seriously it happens. The fact that you pulled over and waited, then gave up the position is as classy as it gets when taking someone out, hell most people don’t even stop. Im sure he wasn’t happy, but i know in my mind I would be thinking damn this guy is classy! Im also a guy that says an apology can go a long way, and you did more than that so I would say it was handled perfectly 👍
4 x

crich88848
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Christopher Richards
iRacing ID: Christopher Richards

Post by crich88848 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Hey.. we can out of it unscathed, unless you count my underwear. Those went straight in the garbage.
1 x

TheGreatC81
Organiser
United States of America

Post by TheGreatC81 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 pm

To Arnaud Genest, my apologies for the incident in the bus stop. I got along side going in but didn't leave you much room, causing us to bang doors. Then on the exit it looks like you did the same to me (not that I can really blame you), only this time netcode kicked you around before we even touched. I'm not sure anyone was really at fault, just the result of hard racing, but I did feel bad that you got spun. I hope there's no hard feelings.
0 x

Return to “GT4 Clubsport Series [2020/S3] - Sponsored by NinjaTrader & SimRacing Canada”