The main feedback that we received from you all was that our current 10-race season structure is not preferred for a Playoff Championship. So with your feedback, we have mapped out a playoff system that will cover all 4 seasons of a year in our iRacing schedule. This will use the results of S1, S2 and S3 of a given year to give us a number of drivers to compete in a Playoff in S4 (along with the normal Season Championship for S4, that is not changing). Below are the details for how to qualify for this Playoff, and the layout of the Playoff itself:
During the 10 race schedule of S4, we will adopt the 3/3/3/1 Knockout structure used in the actual Nascar Cup Series. There will be drivers eliminated after each 3-race segment, until we are left with 4 drivers going heads up against one another in the Season Finale. Due to the structure of this event and the length of the segments, there will be no drop weeks calculated at all in the Playoffs, so attendance will be key!
The amount of drivers entered into the Playoff will be directly related to the amount of drivers who compete in 20 out of the 30 races during the first 3 Seasons of the year:
- 24 drivers or less who meet the 20 race requirement: 12 playoff drivers
- 25-30 drivers who meet the 20 race requirement: 14 playoff drivers
- 31 drivers or more who meet the 20 race requirement: 16 playoff drivers
- 12 Drivers: 12/10/7/4
- 14 Drivers: 14/11/8/4
- 16 Drivers: 16/12/8/4
How to Qualify:
During S1, S2 and S3, a driver must first participate in 20 of the 30 scheduled races during that time frame. No matter what other qualifications you have, not meeting the 20 race requirement will void your automatic entry.
- All Season Champions will be automatically entered into the Playoff.
- All race winners during S1, S2, and S3 will move forward into the Playoff, given that they are in the Top 20 in points during that 30 races time frame.
- If there are Playoff spots available after 30 races, those spots will be filled by accumulated points over the 30 race period. Each driver will receive 3 drop weeks in this period. Those 3 drops can come at any point during the 30 races, and it will not be 1 race per season specific like how our current championship are calculated.
- If we have more Champions and race winners than we have Playoff spots, Champions will hold rank over the race winners. Multiple race winners will hold rank over solo race winners. The remaining race winners will then be ranked based on the total points scored during the first 30 races.
- If we end up with less drivers with 20 races than playoff spots, then we will use the total points based off of the 30 race period. Wins will not be a guaranteed entry in this scenario.
Bonus Points for the Playoffs:
While we are working towards this Playoff, one thing we will not convert to is Stage Racing. Our current race structure will continue to stay the same (laps or 60 mins, whichever comes first). So to make up for that, we will be awarding playoff points for certain finishes as we carry on through the Seasons:
- 6 points per win, 3 points per Top 5, 1 point per Top 10
- These bonus points carry over to the start of each Playoff Segment
In all, we feel like this is a great system for us to start building here in the PRL. The main goal with this Playoff is to help promote attendance consistency and help with driver retention and not have a revolving door of drivers throughout the seasons. The more we are consistent with our roster, the more we are all acquainted with one another, and the better the races will be for us and our viewers. There will be a spreadsheet separate from our Season Points spreadsheets that will stay up to date as we go on through the year so everyone will know week-by-week where they stand as we approach S4.