Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

What other hobbies / activities are you into besides blasting around a virtual race track??

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
I used to race R/C cars pretty competitively, but with the stupid Chinese virus, well, that has pretty much come to a screeching halt.
Still have a bunch of onroad and offroad cars to race, but just nowhere close right now - and besides, now the sim-racing thing is kinda giving me the racing fix that R/C racing did.  Albeit different, it's a lot of fun.
I used to build models as a kid and blow them up with firecrackers or shoot them with guns... but I recently started "trying" to make some nice models.  Been back doing for almost two years now, and still learning as I go - mostly from forums or youtube vids.
Here's a few that I have completed, most of these were done during the "crisis". :D 

1/12 Tamiya Spain's No.1 Yamaha MotoGP bike
enhance

1/20 Tamiya Benetton B188 - took about two weeks to rattle can the colors on the body. :lol: 

enhance

enhance

1/24 Hasegawa Nissan R91CP

enhance

1/25 Revell Corvette C7.R

enhance

1/24 Hasegawa Toyota Tom's 88C

enhance

1/12 Tamiya Pramac Ducati GP4 MotoGP bike

enhance

1/12 Tamiya Ducati Panigale - tried to do the bike up like carbon fiber (came out ok...)

enhance

Just finished this one last week.
1/20 Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

enhance

Anyway, just whorin' out my other hobby. :lol: :lol: 
What do some of you guys do when you're not in the "seat".

thesavvyninja

Name
Aaron Roufs
iRacing ID
Hey All,

I do Ninja Warrior Competitions and such. The gym I attend here in Minnesota, the top female trainer(my trainer) and the head male trainer have both been on the show more than once. I applied 3 years ago, but have not applied since. I Will again in next couple years. Unfortunately with Covid, the gym has been open and closed lots. Hopefully after the new year things can get back to relative normal. Hence my username.

bonaduce

Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Nice work Barry. When not in the seat, I try to split my time. During warmer months I golf as much as possible and rebuild classic cars . colder times it's woodwork and working on the car. Current car in the garage is a 72 mgb giving to my son from my father.

Dan

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I decided to pick up an old hobby, this was a 1969 Camaro that I started on over 10 years ago and then it sat in a box collecting dust. I finally finished it the other day. I'm currently working on a 1970 Dodge Charger which may take me a while because it is my first level 5 model kit.
20201229_210225.jpg

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
Hey Mark, that tank and figure are sweet!! Figures scare me - would probably end up zombie looking, instead of real life=like, 😂

I currently use a few different types of Alclad II clear coats. Really need to learn how to use real clear coats, though. They are much better and can be polished like you would a real car... Just more work as they are mixed with hardener (activator) and a thinner... someday I'll man up to try those.

Just finished this one last night. Kit was good but the decals on this kit were trash - super thin and tore sliding them off the backing paper.

enhance

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I tried to clear my Charger that I am working on right now to get a mirror finish and I think I may have used the wrong type of clear coat. After I sprayed the clear, it looked like the color wasn't very thick in a few spots and the primer was peaking through. I used Duplicolor Perfect Match for the color, so I think maybe I should have used their Perfect Match Clear. I went ahead and ordered some so maybe the next model will turn out better

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
I decided to pick up an old hobby, this was a 1969 Camaro that I started on over 10 years ago and then it sat in a box collecting dust. I finally finished it the other day. I'm currently working on a 1970 Dodge Charger which may take me a while because it is my first level 5 model kit.
View attachment 861
I painted a Chevy II model that exact same color :)

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I wanted Snakeskin Green Pearl, but I also didn't want to pay almost $40 for a can of spray paint, so I went with that green cause it was only $10 lol

bonaduce

Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
You guys doing these models have way more patience than me. Some great work here.

Dan

Mark_LD

Name
Mark Miller
iRacing ID
So for the question of clear coat.. You might find this WAY out of left field but I use "Future Floor Wax", I know it sounds weird but it does work! You have to do several thin coats as you would do with any clear coat. After you get the desired number of coats you can then use your choice of car wax. As always comments welcome