Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

What other hobbies / activities are you into besides blasting around a virtual race track??

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
So for the question of clear coat.. You might find this WAY out of left field but I use "Future Floor Wax", I know it sounds weird but it does work! You have to do several thin coats as you would do with any clear coat. After you get the desired number of coats you can then use your choice of car wax. As always comments welcome
Ive heard a lot of people do this. I literally just started airbrushing (just started as in I got everything hooked up and ready to go, but haven't put any paint in my gun yet lol) so I've been watching a lot of tutorials and it seems like something a lot of people use on acrylic paints. I've been using automotive lacquer up till this point so I have been using a lacquer clear coat which is not recommended over anything but lacquer. I bought some acrylic clear gloss top coat that I was going to try for the water based acrylics I'm going to be spraying out of my airbrush.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Name
Kevin Santana
iRacing ID
Nice work Barry. When not in the seat, I try to split my time. During warmer months I golf as much as possible and rebuild classic cars . colder times it's woodwork and working on the car. Current car in the garage is a 72 mgb giving to my son from my father.

Dan
I have a 73 Midget.

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
barryf1fan have you ever painted acrylic over enamel on your models? I'm going to test it out to see if it works anyway, but was curious if you had tried it before. I need to put down a good base for a transparent fluorescent color that is an acrylic and the only glossy silver I have is an enamel.

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
barryf1fan have you ever painted acrylic over enamel on your models? I'm going to test it out to see if it works anyway, but was curious if you had tried it before. I need to put down a good base for a transparent fluorescent color that is an acrylic and the only glossy silver I have is an enamel.

I've never actually painted acrylics over enamel. All my model paints are acrylics or lacquers... and you can put an acrylic over a lacquer all day long.
Can't imagine there would be an issue with the enamel paint though - as it's just an oil based paint instead of water base. Would just make sure the enamel is good and dry.

SeanGT3

Name
Sean Norris
iRacing ID
I build PC's and sell them and when I am not doing that I tend to go out and work on my Mustang GT. Those are really the only hobbies I have. I used to build model cars... But lost interest years ago

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
barryf1fan I don't know if you airbrush your paints, but if you do, I would like to recommend trying Createx airbrush paint. It will need the adhesion additives for painting plastic, but that is by far the smoothest paint I have ever painted. I just painted the body on a truck I'm building using their Wicked Colors black, and there was literally zero orange peel. I have never had zero orange peel before, so I'm pretty excited about it lol

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I have finally completed the semi that I have been working on for the better part of a month. It is my first ever model painted with an airbrush and I could not be more proud of how it turned out. Since this model is also my first custom build, I will also post a couple pics of how it was supposed to look if I had followed the instructions to the letter. Originally I was going to do purple and black, but when I tested the purple on a plastic spoon, it just didn't really look that good, so I ended up just going with my favorite color or green instead.
85-1506-lg.jpgstockpeterbilt.jpg
Peterbilt1.jpg

Peterbilt2.jpg

Peterbilt3.jpg

Attachments

• Peterbilt1.jpg
    Peterbilt1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I like the pypes!
Thanks, that was probably one of the most aggravating parts of the entire build lol. I was originally going to bend the styrene tubes, but that failed and I wasted a tube, then I spent a week trying to find the correct elbow to fit it, and then when I found them, waited another 2 weeks for them to arrive lol. Apparently 1/2" styrene tubes are not very common for building custom models. Spent $11 in shipping for 2 little $1 elbows. I had a few other people say they like the stacks as well, so I'm glad people like them.

crocbait

Name
Marcus Miller
iRacing ID
Hey All,

I do Ninja Warrior Competitions and such. The gym I attend here in Minnesota, the top female trainer(my trainer) and the head male trainer have both been on the show more than once. I applied 3 years ago, but have not applied since. I Will again in next couple years. Unfortunately with Covid, the gym has been open and closed lots. Hopefully after the new year things can get back to relative normal. Hence my username.
I am amazed at the strength and stamina you and your competitors have. The training work load must be incredible!

crocbait

Name
Marcus Miller
iRacing ID
Nice work Barry. When not in the seat, I try to split my time. During warmer months I golf as much as possible and rebuild classic cars . colder times it's woodwork and working on the car. Current car in the garage is a 72 mgb giving to my son from my father.

Dan
I'm a golfer as well. Last year (after 17 years of playing) I finally came to the conclusion that these golf instructors are ALL to one degree or another full of doo doo (and to a degree partially right). Now I just swing and try to keep the shaft on the same plane throughout the swing.

crocbait

Name
Marcus Miller
iRacing ID
Thanks, that was probably one of the most aggravating parts of the entire build lol. I was originally going to bend the styrene tubes, but that failed and I wasted a tube, then I spent a week trying to find the correct elbow to fit it, and then when I found them, waited another 2 weeks for them to arrive lol. Apparently 1/2" styrene tubes are not very common for building custom models. Spent $11 in shipping for 2 little $1 elbows. I had a few other people say they like the stacks as well, so I'm glad people like them.
You do some amazing work Barry!

crocbait

Name
Marcus Miller
iRacing ID
I am big into golfing. I even went to school to learn club-fitting, building, and repair. I have all the assembly and measuring tools as well. MANY MANY years ago I also used to work with crocodiles alligators, and snakes at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. They no longer do the shows I used to do (Snapping Sam was the one show I did (only in the 3 summer months) that used to literally scare me every single performance). I have no photos of that, but here is a nice one.Gomek.jpg

crocbait

Name
Marcus Miller
iRacing ID
I play/collect/build guitars. Here is a picture of a few of my favorites. For the younger folks out there, guitars are how music used to be made. šŸ¤£
Cool! If you are ever interested, I have a 12 year old one-of-a-kind LOADED Carvin (all their Custom shop guitars and basses are "one-of-a-kind" by definition) guitar that has hardly ever been played.
I also own a barely used Carvin bass which I am selling once I get motivated to go through with it. I really like your guitars BTW.