Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022/S4 - Seasonal prizes draw!

Hi Guest, The list of eligible drivers to the 2022/S4 end of season draw is now available! We will be doing a live event on Discord on Sunday December 11th at 9pm EDT!
    Click here for more details and to see the list of eligible drivers.

VR Headset Upgrade - G2 vs Index

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
Hey, I've been using an original HTC Vive, which has been a great headset, but is now pretty outdated. I've read lots about both the HP Reverb G2 and Valve Index. I'm really struggling with the resolution vs FOV and refresh rate decision. I use VR 90% or more for iRacing. I don't want to totally disregard tracking as a concern with the G2, but it's below graphics-related priorities.

Either will be an improvement in resolution over my Vive. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Index. I'm not sure I need the absolute best resolution in lieu of better refresh rate and FOV (with the added bonus of the Index also being more versatile for those times when I use it outside of sim racing). As long as the screen door effect is much better, which it will be, and I can read black boxes and gauges pretty clearly (feedback from anyone here?), I think I'll be ok with lower resolution to get the other benefits.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
You left out the most important info: What are your computer specs ?
I have both Vive Pro w Nano Lenses & Valve Index.
In my opinion the Vive has better sound. Valve is better overall.
No matter where you go for info, you're going to gat a million different opinions.
Post your specs and we can go from there

SharkV

Organizer
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
I have the Reverb PRO (1st version), it is a reaalyu good VR head set, no SDE, image is sharp, so the G2 is suipposed to be better....

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
Your eyes must be worse than mine.
There's currently no Headset that has no SDE.
Even with all the high end components I have in my PC, I still see some .
If you like constantly playing with ini files, then you might consider Pimax .
I'll pass.

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
I have an MSI GE66 Raider laptop. 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9-10980HK Eight Core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Max-Q with 8GB of video memory.

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
I'm not an expert, but I think your cpu is the problem.
Not familiar at all with laptops.
For example, I'm running I9900K overclocked to 5.0 GHz, Overclocked 2080Ti , 4000 MHz Ram
I'm running my Index @ 80 Hz after finding a thread on the IRacing VR forum.
Had it @ 120, but keep losing connection. There are several videos, but this one is pretty good.
Jump to 10:30 to see a comparison between the Valve & G2

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
I ended up getting a G2 yesterday. I got a lot of feedback and it still felt like an impossible choice between the G2 and Index. Ultimately, the FOV and sweet spot concerns with the G2 sound like they are pretty effectively addressed by an easy face gasket mod, and the resolution was hard to pass up. I'll have 30 days if I decide I'm disappointed. Thanks for the feedback on here.

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
For sure, I'll let you know how it goes. Yeah, I sometimes think I should've waited and gotten a laptop with the new 30 series.

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
Yeah, right now I'm using the "daily driver" approach. I use my laptop for several things. But, it would be nice to have a dedicated tower at some point.