Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Voting Topic: Team Structure

Only count the 2 highest finishers of a team per race instead of all 3?

• Yes, gives 2 driver teams a chance.

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No, all drivers should count for every race.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Hootius

Director
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S3
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S4
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S4
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Hey crew. I saw this mentioned on the roadside and thought it might be a good idea for us to take a look at since this is our 1st season of jumping to 3 man teams.  

One thing that the roadside of PRL has had more engagement than us on the oval side is the Team Championship. I know we don't have a lot of established racing teams in our league and that's totally fine, but I have noticed that it does seem to limit the amount of drivers forming teams that we have going for the Championship. So with this new teams of 3 rule, it got me thinking that maybe the new rule would discourage random pairings even more, and I personally dont want to see that and want to see more engagement from the league as a whole. 

So would I would like to pick your brains on is this proposal: while running teams of 3, only the highest 2 drivers per race would count towards the team championship. This would mean that if drivers are a team of 2, it doesn't mean they're automatically out of the championship and they can put up a fight, they just wouldn't have the 1 driver wiggle room that a team of 3 would have. What do you all think?

Adamschoen

Premium Member
Name
Adam Schoen
iRacing ID
I think that is a good idea just in case there is teams of 2. And it gives every one a chance for one, less stress on the teams of 2 to have to push to do great in a race just to try to make up for having 1 less person on there team. And might be ppl on the league who might just want to be a 2 man team. And others might want to be a 3 man team.

ahunter27t

Premium Member
Name
Austin Hunter
iRacing ID
i like this, since i am on baby watch towards the end of the season, i wont feel as bad if i have to miss races.

fotors3

Premium Member
Name
Brandon
iRacing ID
I've had time to think about this since you asked a couple of us the other day. I'm thinking that's pretty fair. I don't see an issue with counting just the highest 2 of a 3 car team.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S4
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
With a pretty favorable vote, we will try this system out for the first time this season. For any specific race, only the top 2 finishers out of a 3 driver team will count each week in the Team Championship. This will still allow for just 2 driver teams to be able to compete throughout the entire season.

Just to clarify, as this is the first time we will use this system and want to make sure it brings the most fair points standings to team with different sized rosters, I am planning on not factoring in any drop weeks that take place in the Drivers Standings. If I find that the math in it provides and unfair advantage one way or the other, than we can look at modifying this at a later date.