Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Upgrade time, which direction?

bonaduce

Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
So with AMD's announcement that RYZEN 3000 will not release until MID 2019, I have come to a quandry and looking for advice.  Started noticing frame rate loss on the ovals, mainly in the straights where I would drop down to 25-27 while corners still range from 75-80, not seeing this on road courses. Current rig is AMD FX-8150, 16 gigs DDR3, and a 760 ti gpu, according to "wheres my bottleneck" it is the gpu. So I have a few options to think about, and looking for some advice.

Option 1: Continue with the build listed and bypass RYZEN 3000 until next generation of RYZEN (build listed below)
Option 2: Continue with build, but use a lower RYZEN, say a 5, when 3000 is released buy and then sell the 5.
Option 3: Upgrade the GPU now and wait for 3000 release, this moves the bottleneck to the CPU

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]CPU[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]$309.99  [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Motherboard[/font] 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]$129.58 [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Memory[/font] 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]$119.99 [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Storage[/font] 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]$52.00[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Video Card[/font] 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]$499.99 [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Case[/font] 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]$59.99 [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Power Supply[/font] 
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Corsair - CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for any and all advice/guidance[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]dan[/font]

TheGreatC81

Name
David Cristelli
iRacing ID
I'd go with the system you have listed for now. The 3000 series looks great but it's still a ways off. We still don't know what the real world performance and reliability will be like, and the current Ryzen CPUs are pretty nice anyway. So why wait? If you really want to switch later, you can do it after you see how they do. Same with GPU options. The 2070 is arguably the best performance for the dollar right now. AMD's new cards might offer similar performance at a lower price, but again, that remains to be seen. If they do, I'm sure you still wouldn't have a problem selling a 2070. Even if AMD offers better value there's still a bunch of people that prefer Nvidia. 
Only thing I'd add is liquid cooling. Doesn't have to be fancy looking if you don't want to spend a lot on it, but it's easier to keep the temps where you want them, it's quieter, and it'll allow you to get a little more out of overclocking.
Once you have your new PC, and if you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend a VR headset for racing. Total game-changer for me. I'll never go back.

bonaduce

Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
well I pulled the trigger yesterday on the upgrade. Made some changes though, went with a 1070ti instead of the 2070, 1 tb ssd evo 860, different case so that an AIO can be installed later if I really decide to overclock it.  VR might be tough for me as I don't like having my eyes covered and VR would make it so much easier for the family to sneak up on me.

dan

bonaduce

Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
All is running great now that settings have been configured correctly. Only thing still getting used to is windows 10.

Kirru

Premium Member
Name
Cory A Clark
iRacing ID
Gary Schilling said:
W10 sucks the big one.
Just about every time there is an update, I have issues with my VR.

Really? I haven't had any issues with mine. Although a buddy of mine does but I think he tends to mess with stuff and forgets what he changes and screws it up big time by trying to "fix it"

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
Last update it did it again. I had to once again revert it back to previous version.
I'd be in the sim , did not have to be driving, simply watching a replay and the sim crashed.

Kirru

Premium Member
Name
Cory A Clark
iRacing ID
Haven't had the sim crash in a long time. Interesting. Not a driver issue or CPU overloading?

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
Nope, had it in to a shop where the guy did not know shite about sim racing or VR. Went through everything and charged me twice for doing nothing.
Finally go ahold of a guy that did. He went through the error & event codes and found that the day things went bad was also when Windows updated Oculus's drivers. Set it up as Metered Connection, reverted back the update and all has been well until the last update when it did it again. He also unclocked the GPU. I have not need to run that setting though.

HBHarrison

Name
I also always run in VR and I was thinking about upgrading my Ryzen 5 2600 but not sure if its worth the performance upgrade.

SharkV

Organizer
Staff member
Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
HBHarrison said:
I also always run in VR and I was thinking about upgrading my Ryzen 5 2600 but not sure if its worth the performance upgrade.

Yes, get a Ryzen 7 3800x or the Ryzen 9, since iRacing is really demanding on the CPU