Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

The Lazy Gator Lounge

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Long Beach, what a track to start the season at. Its beautiful skyline, ocean breeze's and a track so claustrophobic in spots that it reminded me of be stuffed in a locker in junior high. Passing will be a premium here, waiting for that mistake that gives you the edge, or the inevitable fountain or hairpin pile up. This will be a race of survival, much like a zombie apocalypse or the turtle and the hare, patience is your friend. Speaking of survival, what is the ultimate survival menu item? SPAM, and with that I present this weeks special.

Spam Musubi:​

Ingredients
  • 2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup oyster sauce
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Spam)
  • 5 sheets sushi nori (dry seaweed)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions​

• Step 1
    Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse.
  • Step 2
    In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool.
  • Step 3
    In a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Slice luncheon meat lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.
  • Step 4
    In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook slices for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. Place a rice press in the center of the sheet, and press rice tightly inside. Top with a slice of luncheon meat, and remove press. Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. (Rice may also be formed by hand in the shape of the meat slices, 1 inch thick.) Musubi may be served warm or chilled.

There is no drink special as all of us will need to be some what coherent. Enjoy

The Management

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
HAPPY NEW YEARS eve from the lounge, what a year it has been. It will be a simple celebration here at the lounge, no fountains of champagne, noise makers, or fireworks, just a party of two. Mama Gator has entrusted me with this evenings dinner and festivities planning. I have decided that we shall start off with a nice candle light dinner followed by a rousing game of Youtube roulette, a final waltz of the year and in bed by 10 (yeah I'm old and she has to work in the morning). With that out of the way here is tonight's meal and drink.

Drink Special:

Boulevardier

Ingredients:

1 1/4 ounces bourbon (or rye)
1 ounce Campari
1 ounce sweet vermouth
Garnish: orange twist

Directions:
Add bourbon, Campari and sweet vermouth into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with an orange twist.

ENTRE'
Cog Au Vin:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of good olive oil
4 ounces good bacon or pancetta, diced
1 (3 to 4-pound) chicken, cut in 8ths
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound carrots, cut diagonally in 1-inch pieces
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 cup Cognac or good brandy
1/2 bottle (375 ml) good dry red wine such as Burgundy
1 cup good chicken stock, preferably homemade
10 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 pound frozen small whole onions
1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and thickly slice

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the bacon to a plate with a slotted spoon.
  3. Meanwhile, lay the chicken out on paper towels and pat dry. Liberally sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. When the bacon is removed, brown the chicken pieces in batches in a single layer for about 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon and continue to brown until all the chicken is done. Set aside.
  4. Add the carrots, onions, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the Cognac and put the bacon, chicken, and any juices that collected on the plate into the pot. Add the wine, chicken stock, and thyme and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just not pink. Remove from the oven and place on top of the stove.
  5. Mash 1 tablespoon of butter and the flour together and stir into the stew. Add the frozen onions. In a medium saute pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and cook the mushrooms over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until browned. Add to the stew. Bring the stew to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste. Serve hot. Enjoy and have a safe and happy new years celebration. The Management. In full: New Zealand's 2021 New Year fireworks display - YouTube

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Well the plan was to have a nice quiet night until there was a knock at the door. When I open the door I see this well dressed gentleman and young lady. I say "Hello, can I help you" and then the night began to unravel form there as a flood of people were behind him.

Hello my name is Friday, I work on Tuesday. Tuesday say hi.
We were on our way to a party. On our way there, we got a flat tire. I
jacked, she pumped; I jacked, she pumped; then she got out of the car to
fix the tire.

We saw your light and thought this was the party, we all felt merry. Merry got mad and left. We
all jumped for joy. Joy got mad and left too. Then a lady jumped out of
the party cake. We all had a piece. The cake wasn't bad either.

Then he dropped his keys under one of the tables. He felt, she felt, he felt, she
felt. Then he looked under the table for his keys.

He then took her out and sat on the front porch. Someone threw a rock from
a car and hit her on the breast. Broke three of his fingers.

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Well after a 2 week break we return to battle and Barber Motorsports Park in hot and sticky Alabama. With its tight hairpin, crazy chicanes, and a creepy spider in the infield that makes an Arachnophobic person to pee themselves, fall to the ground, curl into a ball of quivering flesh, and cry uncontrollably. 'BAMA baby, just like the gridiron we all shall bring our "chariots" to the track and battle it out. With that out of the way, here are the specials.

Drink Special:
Singapore Sling
Ingredients

• 3/4 ounce gin
  • 1/4 ounce Grand Marnier
  • 1/4 ounce cherry liqueur
  • 1/4 ounce herbal liqueur
  • 1 ounce pineapple juice
  • 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1 dash bitters
  • Club soda, to top
  • Garnish: orange slice
  • Garnish: cherry
Steps

Add all the ingredients except the club soda into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a highball glass, and top with the club soda.
Garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.

Entree:
Sushi
Ingredients

2 cups uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
3 cups water
½ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Steps
Rinse the rice in a strainer or colander until the water runs clear. Combine with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Rice should be tender and water should be absorbed. Cool until cool enough to handle.
In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir into the cooked rice. When you pour this in to the rice it will seem very wet. Keep stirring and the rice will dry as it cools.

Enjoy, the Management

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Off to Phoenix and our first foray into ovals for the season. What can be said about Phoenix? It's hot!!!!!!, not hot and sticky like Alabama, but hot and dry. You know like the hot you use to roast that chicken in the oven while lavishly basting it with a glaze. Phoenix where once good football players go to end their careers before retiring, except Fitzgerald who suprisingly has never asked for a trade. Speaking of retirement, Phoenix, where older folks go to live after years of employment all the while being baked into walking, breathing pieces of jerky. So what can we say, the track was designed by none other than SATAN himself with its trioval design, as if making left hand turns isn't hard enough, and one can barely see the road from the heat coming off. Reminder to those fast drivers out there tonight, if you see a car in the left "HAMMER" lane with its turn signal on it is probably some old fuddy duddy and you should take caution. (who am I kidding, this blue hair geezer be bringing the heat, now get off my lawn.) And now to the specials for this evening.

Drink:
Spicy Bourbon Citrus Cocktail
Ingredients (this makes 16 servings, or one drink for each for the BTR crew)

5 Fresno chiles, halved lengthwise, plus 1 whole, for serving
1 750 ml. bottle bourbon
1¾ cups dry vermouth
1¾ cups fresh grapefruit juice
1 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup simple syrup
Lime wheels (for serving)

Preparation
Step 1
Combine halved chiles and bourbon in a pitcher and let stand 30 minutes. Fish out chiles and discard. Stir vermouth, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and simple syrup into spicy bourbon; chill until cold.
Step 2
Add lime wheels and whole chile to pitcher just before serving. Serve in rocks glasses filled with ice.
Step 3
DO AHEAD: Cocktail can be mixed 3 hours ahead. Keep chilled.

Entree:
Pan Roasted Chicken with Pineapple Chile Glaze
Ingredients
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 3½ – 4-pound chicken, halved
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ fresh pineapple, sliced ½ inch thick
1 serrano chile, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¾ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika

Preparation
Step 1
Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°. Mix coriander, cumin, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle chicken with spice mixture, pressing to adhere; season with salt and pepper.
Step 2
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until browned and beginning to crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and arrange pineapple slices in pan. Place chicken, skin side up, on top. Transfer to oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 40–45 minutes.
Step 3
Meanwhile, bring chile, garlic, pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, and paprika to a boil in a small saucepan and cook until thickened and syrupy, 12–15 minutes; season glaze with salt.
Step 4
When chicken is done, brush with glaze and roast just until glaze is bubbling, about 2 minutes; repeat with any remaining glaze. Transfer chicken and pineapple to a cutting board; let rest 10 minutes. Serve chicken and pineapple with any juices from skillet alongside.

Told you it was HOT in Phoenix.
Enjoy, The Management

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Gentleman there will be no witty banter about VIR today. Today is a day for reflection, inner searches of ones own soul. Yes, today was day a that shall be forgotten, except for those few of us that will carry on the torch and scream his name "RIVERS, RIVERS, RIVERS". Today I learned that Phillip Rivers had announced his retirement. I remember the NFL draft that year, Eli Manning pulled a John Elway and refused to play for the team that drafted him and would rather just do something else. After some negotiation with the Giants Rivers is a BOLT and Eli is a, well I'll leave it at that. Keeping it simple tonight here at the lounge, just finger foods and a good drink.

Reuben Fritters
Ingredients:
One 8-pound corned beef brisket, raw
3 cups sauerkraut
3 pounds cream cheese
2 pounds Swiss cheese, shredded or diced small
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Flour, for coating
Buttermilk, for dredging
Panko breadcrumbs, for coating
Chopped fresh parsley, for coating

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the brisket in a large pan with the pickling seasoning and enough water to fill the pan halfway. Cover and cook for 3 hours. Let cool partially, and then refrigerate to cool completely (for at least 3 hours total if you cut the brisket into pieces, or overnight if cooling it whole).
Dice the brisket and puree in a food processor until a paste forms (some chunks are fine). Add the sauerkraut, cream cheese and Swiss cheese and mix well. Shape the mixture into little spheres the size of golf balls; set aside.
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan fitted with a deep-frying thermometer, pour enough vegetable oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees F.
In three separate containers put the flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs mixed with parsley. Take a sphere and coat in the flour, dredge in the buttermilk and then coat in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining spheres. Fry in batches--making sure all the fritters are submerged--until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.

Drink
Bushmills Black Bush
Pour into glass, NO NOT OVER ICE, use whiskey cubes please. SIP, repeat as necessary.

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Gentleman, I do apologize for not providing you with a meal and drink last week. These cold days and nights here in the Adirondacks, sure can cause some powerful aches in an old gators bone's. Mother Nature has seen fit to bring me the three greatest present's of the season : COLD, WIND, and SNOW!!!!!!!!!! So yours truly came down with a case of the sniffle's. I tried to tough it out like a real driver, hell if they can pee and poop in their suits, naturally I can race a track I know blindfolded. And if you look at the races I've done here, it looks like I did them blindfolded. But alas it was not to be. Let me set the scene for you. Mama, knowing I was leaving work early, decided to meet at the door with nothing but a knowing smile and wink in her eye. Knock it off you perverts, settle down. In her left hand, 2 shots of whiskey, the old timers way to kill the common cold. In her right hand my bathrobe and slippers, "showers running" she says with a wink. SETTLE DOWN!
I emerge from the shower to find the fireplace going, a lit cigar, and another glass of whiskey. It is now 4 pm here at the lounge, and Mama has the Ol' gator half in the bag, mind you the sniffles was the last thing on my mind. GENTLEMAN! The race is in 5 hours, 1 drink out per hour, time to spare. 7 pm, feeling good, I got this under control. Then I start coughing, Mamma arrives with the cough syrup and I slug it down, MMMM good "what flavor was that" I say. "NYQUIL, you idiot. Now go to bed" she exclaims. I spent the next 4 days in bed, Mama taking care of me and nursing me back to health. So with that I present to you tonight's specials.

ENTREE:
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

¼ cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 large carrots, sliced
4 stalks celery, chopped
kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
3 cloves garlic, chopped
8 cups chicken broth
8 oz egg noodles
4 cups shredded chicken breast
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
parmesan cheese, shredded, to taste

Preparation:

- Heat the olive oil until shimmering over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cooking, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- MAKE AHEAD: Do not add the noodles or parsley. Cool and refrigerate the soup in an airtight container for four days, or in the freezer for up to two months. Reheat on the stove and add the noodles and parsley just before serving.
- Add the noodles and cook 6 minutes, then add the chicken and cook about 2 minutes more, until the noodles are cooked through and the chicken is warmed through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the parsley.
- Serve topped with Parmesan.

DRINK:
Penicillin

Ingredients:

2 ounces blended Scotch whisky
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
3/4 ounce honey syrup (see note)
3 slices fresh ginger
1/4 ounce Islay single malt Scotch

Preparation:

-
Using a wooden muddler or mixing spoon, muddle the fresh ginger in the bottom of a cocktail shaker until it is well mashed. Add the blended Scotch, lemon juice, and honey syrup, and fill shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds.
- Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass (you may wish to double-strain through a fine tea strainer to remove the small flecks of ginger), and pour the Islay Scotch over the back of a bar spoon so that it floats atop the drink.

Enjoy,
The Management

PS: No good whiskey was harmed in the treating of this cold!!!!

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Another week has passed here at the Lounge with nothing much happening. It's that time of season where folks just want to sit down have a drink, a meal, and maybe some good conversation. I can provide two of those things, maybe three after a few drinks myself. Imola, it's a love hate relationship with its kerps of death and slick asphalt, but we all know that in our hearts we truely love this track. Sure we curse as our chariots catch just enough kerp to throw you into oblivion, the tension you feel as you try not to go wide through Acque Minerali, and the pure joy when you hit Variante Alta without spinning. Some say that the Stig can drive this track just with his feet and throttle control. We mere mortals need much more help, personally I prefer 1 bourbon, 1 scotch and 1 beer. Tonight's drink is in honor of the chicanes and kerbs.

Entree:
Veal Saltimbocca
Ingredients
2 ounces fontina cheese
8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
16 fresh sage leaves
8 veal cutlets (4 ounces each)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preparation
- Cut cheese into 1/4-in. strips. Place a prosciutto slice, 2 sage leaves and cheese down center of each cutlet. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add veal, a few rolls at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown veal in butter and oil on all sides; remove and keep warm.
-Add broth and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return rolls to the pan; cook 8-10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and sauce is thickened. Stir in parsley and lemon juice; heat through. Discard toothpicks; serve with sauce.

Drink:
Tailspin
Ingredients
3/4 Ounce(s) Gin
3/4 Ounce(s) Sweet Vermouth
3/4 Ounce(s) Green Chartreuse
1/4 Ounce(s) Campari
Lemon twist, maraschino cherry

Preparation
Stir with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Add lemon twist and cherry. Serve in a Cocktail Glass.

Enjoy, The Management

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
@Indy Pro 2000 Series 2021/S1

Lazy Gator Lounge gonna be packed tonight with the new heat racing format. My oval wheel won't even turn on unless I blow over .08......

bonaduce Hope you got the beers on ice...
Left turn is easier after drinking because your head leans that way, helps with funneling the drool away from the wheel. Leaving work in 10, should have some cold ones in hand in 30.

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Took a little longer getting home than expected, but a cold Guinness is in hand and there are 5 more of its brethren standing by. So this evening we shall attempt the dreaded oval racing again. Every time we come to an oval, an image appears in my head of two large gentleman riding minibikes on their way to enter the Sphere of Death with 30 other riders. With the audience looking on for the inevitable carnage. Speaking of carnage, what the hell happened at Daytona, these boys couldn't even do 45 miles without the leaders taking out 3/4 of the field, what a great day to be a back marker, Cajun and I could have finished 1,2. Forgive me I get easily sidetracked these days, back to tonight's festivities. USA International Speedway, .75 miles long of Florida asphalt carved out of hell itself and deposited in the center of the state. Early odds on the race has Seitz lapping the last car before they get to turn 1 lap 1. So with the small field in the main, those not moving forward are all welcome to enjoy the broadcast from the lounge while sipping (guzzling, if your BTR) a libation of your choice. No food this evening, just drinking and axe throwing. That's right, those of us at the lounge will be playing with sharp objects and drinking, what could go wrong. With that out of the way, here is tonight's drink.

Drink:
Adios Motherf******
Ingredients
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
2 oz sweet and sour mix
2 oz 7-Up soda

Preparation
Pour all ingredients except the 7-Up into a chilled Highball glass filled with ice cubes. Top with 7-Up and stir gently.

Enjoy, the Management

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Mamma gator asked where we were racing this evening, "Spa" I say. "Nothing like a good spa day" she quips back. "Relaxing in your white terry towel robe sipping on cucumber water while getting a mani pedi. Follow that with a mud bath, facial scrub and a deep tissue massage performed by a young blond with a Swedish accent and forceful hands" she says as her eyes glaze over and she drifts away with a wry smile. "It's not that kind of spa" I exclaim. "Picture the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles, now add beer and the smell of petrol, this is a mans spa." It's to late, I have lost her to memories of her last spa day, oh well not my problem. Seven kilometers of just pure driving bliss and scenic views, what more could you ask for in a track. Sometimes while driving this track I find myself drifting off into my own thoughts. We are bound to have some epic battles, some monstrous wrecks and hopefully a lot of laughs. Once again it will only be a drink at the lounge this evening. At a mans spa, it's bring and grill your own meat, I prefer Reindeer. Also there will be no playing with sharp objects, it's paintball gun night. Guns and alcohol, have we not learned anything. Candy gram for Mongo!!!!!

Drink:
A Lonely Island Lost in the Middle of a Foggy Sea
Ingredients
1 1/2 oz Rhum J.M Agricole Blanc
1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1/2 oz Old Port Deluxe Matured Rum
1 oz Pineapple juice
3/4 oz Lime juice
3/4 oz Demerara syrup (1 part demerara sugar, 1 part water)
1/4 oz La Colombe Pure Black Cold Press Coffee
Garnish: Pineapple leaves
Garnish: Coffe beans

Preparation
Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.
Shake vigorously for 10 seconds and strain into a mug filled with crushed ice.
Garnish with pineapple leaves and coffee beans.

Enjoy, the Management

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Wow this season has just flown by. As Jim Mckay used to say "Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sports... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition." This is how I feel. We have had good battles, tense moments, magnificent crashes, avoidable/unavoidable wrecks, and hopefully lots of laughs. What can we expect from this final race here at Road Atlanta? Seitz, finishes first and is already in his slippers before 2nd crosses the line. Spots 6-10 in the pros is one close battle, Vegas odds are a toss up. While in the am series, there is a tight battle in spots 1-4, expecting some BIG moves to be made between these gents. For the team championship, hard to go against Team RUST, but the boys at SRT Blue look to be on a roll, to close to call. One thing is certain, I am looking forward to next season. So as the checkered flag drops on this season, here at the lounge we take a different approach. I like to refer to it as "LAST CALL FOR ALCOHOL", and as Janine Garafolo use to say "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here." With that out of the way here is tonight's specials.

Drink:
The Checkered Flag
Ingredients
1 shot Kahlua® coffee liqueur
1 shot vodka
1 shot Jagermeister® herbal liqueur
1 shot Bailey's® Irish cream
1 shot milk
1 shot chocolate milk

Preparation:
In a tall glass carefully layer the drink as follows: 1st Shot in the glass (bottom layer) Kahlua, 2nd Shot White Milk, 3rd Shot Vodka, 4th Shot Jagermiester, 5th Shot Baileys, 6th Shot Chocolate Milk. Chug as if you had just won the race!

Entre:
Hijiki Seaweed Salad
Ingredients
Dried hijiki seaweed
Aburaage (fried tofu pouch)
Carrots
Edamame
Lotus root (renkon) – Optional
Konnyaku (konjac) – Optional
Dashi
Seasonings – soy sauce, mirin, and sugar

Preparation
First, we’ll soak the hijiki seaweed in plenty of water for 30 minutes. While it soaks, we prepare the rest of the ingredients. Once ready, start by sauteeing julienned carrots and lotus roots, followed by the rehydrated hijiki, aburaage (fried tofu pouch), and konnyaku (konjac). Cook the vegetables in dashi broth and season with soy sauce, sugar, and mirin. Let everything simmers together for about 30 minutes. At this point, add in edamame and continue to simmer until the sauce is cooked down.
Once it has soaked up the seasonings, let cool to room temperature so the flavors have a chance to mingle and settle in. The salad is savory, sweet, and pleasantly crunchy. We would serve the Hijiki No Nimono at room temperature and enjoy it as a side dish to a larger part of a Japanese meal.

Enjoy, The Management.