Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Steering Wheels

LAcadien

Premium Member
Hey racers! I know some of you already talked about it but i don't have much time now to search in the forum and i really need your help. 
Usally, i go on Tom's Hardware forum to ask my questions but i know some of you might know alot more on the subject. 
My G27 start to feel old and weak.. after 8 years of loyal service i think it is on his last hours so i will need a new steering soon. I have about 500-600$ CND to spend. I was checking Trustmasters but im a bit confuse.. There's the Logitech G920 available for 500$ but even when i checked ratings, im still not sure about it. Does anyone of you have one? Would like to know and compare between Logitech and Trustmasters. And i would like to know about Trustmasters, what part is best for F1 games and PC Cars kinda games. 
I appreciate all the help you can give me. Thank :)

Zephyr

LAcadien said:
Hey racers! I know some of you already talked about it but i don't have much time now to search in the forum and i really need your help. 
Usally, i go on Tom's Hardware forum to ask my questions but i know some of you might know alot more on the subject. 
My G27 start to feel old and weak.. after 10 years of loyal service i think it is on his last hours so i will need a new steering soon. I have about 500-600$ CND to spend. I was checking Trustmasters but im a bit confuse.. There's the Logitech G920 available for 500$ but even when i checked ratings, im still not sure about it. Does anyone of you have one? Would like to know and compare between Logitech and Trustmasters. And i would like to know about Trustmasters, what part is best for F1 games and PC Cars kinda games. 
I appreciate all the help you can give me. Thank :)
Never owned a logitech wheel so I can't comment on those.

I own a thrustmaster tx leather edition. The leather edition comes with a better quality rim with it. It also comes with the better thrustmaster pedals. From what I've heard, the lower quality thrustmaster pedals (the ones without the clutch) are not as good as logitech ones. But the ones with the clutch pedal (I think they are called the pro pedals), are extremely good. Overall I would recommend my wheel/pedal set to other people.

Another thrustmaster wheel which is almost identical is the t300. It is almost the same except the t300 is for ps4/pc and the TX is for xbox/pc.

those are the only wheels I know enough about to comment on

Sucuri

Tron and I have had a lot of problems with out TM TX servos, his died and mine is making ticking noises... I would try the new PC only wheel by TM and stay away from TX T300 family.

iceman153

I'd also highly recommend the fanatec stuff, you can get the CSL Elite wheel and pedals for $450 USD : https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/bundle/product/csl-elite-wheel-starter-pack-for-xbox-one-and-pc.html

Really good quality stuff, awesome force feedback, and there are a ton of wheel rims to choose from, the new McLaren one is sweet, and it'll work with this base. I think it's a superior product to the thrustmaster stuff

That said, Shipping/Returns/Customer service is terrible, so keep that in mind, but i've been using fanatec for 7 years now and have only had one issue with my old wheel rim (not the base or pedals), and they did replace the rim under warranty, but it took a lot of back and forth to get there. Haven't had any failures outside of warranty on anything else, including the rim they replaced, which i've had for 3-4 years now. Definitely worth considering the fanatec gear, i highly recommend it, even with the risk of having to use their customer support.

moogleslam

Premium Member
I won't give any specific recommendations, as I haven't done much research over the last few years, and I'm still using a G27, but for sure, the thing I wish I had was more buttons (or dials) on my steering wheel!

For F1 2018, I'd love all of these on my wheel
DRS
Look Behind
Fuel Up
Fuel Down
Pit Limiter
ERS Up
ERS Down
Push to Talk (all)
Push to Talk (teammate)
Look Left
Look Right
Brake Bias Forwards
Brake Bias Rear
Differential Increase
Differential Decrease
Push to talk Engineer
D-Pad
MFD Cycle (Edited/addition from original list)

Is that even possible on any wheel? :)

iceman153

Yup, I think i can fit all those on my wheel actually, there are 22 assignable inputs, including the d-pad, so 18 for other things, i have the fanatec F1 Rim on the V2 wheelbase. The new McLaren rim i think might actually have more... It's pretty sweet.

LAcadien

Premium Member
Well Megaman and Dark convinced me to go with Trustmaster T300RS GT.. and since you can change steering, they have a F1 one so i think my choice is made but i can only get it near xmas. Thanks all for the recomendations :)

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Sucuri said:
Tron and I have had a lot of problems with out TM TX servos, his died and mine is making ticking noises... I would try the new PC only wheel by TM and stay away from TX T300 family.

TX is slighty different than the T300. T300 has more rotation to the base and is really similar to the TS-PC one.

If you only on PC and you have budget go with the TS-PC otherwise most of people have the T300 as a budget wise and its running great. Nick convinced me and I'm loving it. Good thing is its easy to find it anywhere and replace your broken base if it happens.

That was my only downside with Fanatec, they have great stuff but the turn around to get your stuff fixed is too long when I can simply do an exchange in store of my dead thrustmaster if it happens. Also if you order from Costco they will give you an extra second year warranty ;)

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
moogleslam said:
I won't give any specific recommendations, as I haven't done much research over the last few years, and I'm still using a G27, but for sure, the thing I wish I had was more buttons (or dials) on my steering wheel!

DRS
Look Behind
Fuel Up
Fuel Down
Pit Limiter
ERS Up
ERS Down
Push to Talk (all)
Push to Talk (teammate)
Look Left
Look Right
Brake Bias Forwards
Brake Bias Rear
Differential Increase
Differential Decrease
Push to talk Engineer
D-Pad

I bought the Ferrari F1 Addon, don't worry I will swap the Ferrari logo for a Merc one ;)

So far, I have the Fuel and ERS on the scrolling knobs. The only one that you will find hard to add is the look left and right but all the others would be possible. The issue is how often do you want to use them. Like brake bias and diff. If you already need to manage fuel and ers throughout the lap managing those too would be hard and make your more prone to mistake on track. See image: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/pictures/PCMAC/T500/F1_PC_Advanced-Mode-Mapping.jpg

moogleslam

Premium Member
Talked to Dark about wheels this morning, and now I'm thinking of upgrading too.  Have done a bit of research.  As I understand it, the options that Thrustmaster currently have on the market seem to be really poorly thought out.

[ul]
[li]From a base perspective, the TX, T300, and T-GT are essentially the same (some minor things like degrees of rotation)[/li]
[li]Then there's the T500 base which is a very slight upgrade over the TX/T300/T-GT from a torque perspective[/li]
[li]Then there's the TS-PC and TS-XW which have the same base, and which are a further upgrade; about 50% more torque than the T300, and smoother delivery.[/li]
[/ul]
What makes no sense to me is they sell the TX and T300 bases by themselves, but all of the other models come with wheels; no base only options.

... because I was leaning toward the TS-PC and Ferrari Formula 1 wheel, but then I'm also stuck with the inferior Formula style wheel that comes with the TS-PC.  Which yeah, I could try and sell, but why should I have to?  Frustrating.  Since all wheels are cross compatible with the bases I listed, why wouldn't they allow customization/a la carte like Fanatec.

iceman153

Was just checking out some comparisons between the TS-PC and CSL Elite, looks like there isn't much between them, pretty much just the wheel rim options, and it's much easier to get your hands on the thrustmaster stuff for sure, specially if they have it at costco. Fanatec only really makes sense to go for something superior, like the V2.5 base, or the new Direct Drive bases that are coming out soon (those look insane), but they also come with a hefty price tag. The CSL Elite might make sense as a stop gap to upgrading to direct drive down the road. If direct drive isn't something that interests you, then the TS-PC/XM makes a lot of sense.

If you are changing the pedals too, thats also something to consider, but you buy them separately with the TS-PC anyway.

LAcadien

Premium Member
Darklol said:
moogleslam said:

DRS
Look Behind
Fuel Up
Fuel Down
Pit Limiter
ERS Up
ERS Down
Push to Talk (all)
Push to Talk (teammate)
Look Left
Look Right
Brake Bias Forwards
Brake Bias Rear
Differential Increase
Differential Decrease
Push to talk Engineer
D-Pad

I bought the Ferrari F1 Addon, don't worry I will swap the Ferrari logo for a Merc one ;)

So far, I have the Fuel and ERS on the scrolling knobs. The only one that you will find hard to add is the look left and right but all the others would be possible. The issue is how often do you want to use them. Like brake bias and diff. If you already need to manage fuel and ers throughout the lap managing those too would be hard and make your more prone to mistake on track. See image: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/pictures/PCMAC/T500/F1_PC_Advanced-Mode-Mapping.jpg

the buttons in the middle, the one u can turn, are they working or they are just there for the look ?

moogleslam

Premium Member
iceman153 said:
All the ones in the middle are just for looks, if they worked it would be an amazing rim!

Ouch!  Glad you said that; I hadn't realized.

iceman153

Yeah, it's super misleading. It's also why the new mclaren fanatec rim is cool, it has a proper F1 clutch and actual working knobs in the middle :) I just wish they hadn't ditched the mini joystick the F1rim has.

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Thats why i posted the diagram because everyone thinks the middle are rotary ones but theres still many buttons even if they are fake and the wheel feels great in hand. I was scared at first thinking it was all plastic but the handles are hard rubber.

I love the looks of the mclaren fanatec rim still lacks many buttons and thats a bummer. Only option is a button box.

moogleslam

Premium Member
There's basically 3 options I'm considering right now:

1. Thrustmaster TX base and Ferrari F1 Rim = $350
2. Thrustmaster TS-PC = $400
3. Fanatec CSL Elite Base & Formula wheel = $550
4. Invest in index funds so I can retire earlier :)

#2 is a decent upgrade over #1. Certainly worth the extra $50 in my opinion, and at this point, I think I could go either way with the TS-PC rim vs the Ferrari F1 rim. Leaning toward #2 in this battle.

#2 & #3 are fairly even in terms of performance, so the only reason I'd be willing to spend $150 more is to get into the Fanatec ecosystem, since I'd love their Podium DD2 at some point down the road and then I'd already have a wheel for it. Undecided.

If I did go with #3, I'm still a little undecided on the Formula wheel vs the McLaren GT3 wheel.

If I don't go with #4, there might be regret :)

iceman153

The Mclaren wheel doesn't lack buttons, excluding the rotary switches and dual clutch it has 20 inputs from buttons on the front, infact it's basically identical in layout to the thrustmaster ferrari F1 rim except the 2nd d-pad is a button. Ontop of that the rotary switches also have 12 different positions each, so thats another 24 button assignments, although i'm not sure how you'd leverage all of the positions. It also has the two clutch pedals that can be used as two buttons, a look left/right axis, or as an actual dual stage clutch.

I just like having two d-pad style switches that you can hit with your thumbs, probably only because i'm used to it from my wheel. But actually the mclaren rim has the most inputs of all of the options I've seen.

One thing to keep in mind PJ is that Fanatec usually has holiday sales, I got my clubsport V3 inverted pedals for less than the regular clubsport V3's due to a huge christmas sale last year. But there is no guarantee they'll have the items you want on sale of course. Their Podium DD2 looks insane, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra 50% price tag over the DD1... I am considering selling my V2 base and trading up, but not until well after they are released.

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Problem with Fanatec for me, was the price and the issue if it breaks you need to send your gear in and wait weeks. With Thrustmaster, order new one, get it within a week and return old.

The Mclaren wheels is nice but not for F1 games. Example, the ERS is only up and down. You can set the ERS modes (0 to 5) to buttons if up or down. Same for fuel and brakes bias. I love the roll up and down knobs on the Ferrari wheels. They are called Dif In and Chrg those are great I just use my thumbs up and down to roll them.

Fanatec has better FFB than the T300 and the TS-PC and their rims selections are great, plus they have a true quick connect to swap rims. Like I explained above the issue with price and customer service kills me. Having something that I pay 1k CAD that needs to be shipped and being repaired for weeks or months seen people online waiting months for a repair with them I feel that is unacceptable.

Any way you go, it will be major upgrade over a G27. If you go Thrustmaster just don't buy the TMX base (xbox version).

Forgot to mention, CSL Elite has better pedals and since you are the USA you probably won't have to pay 279$ of shipping like here in Canada another thing I find ridiculous about them.

moogleslam

Premium Member
I'll be waiting for DD1/DD2 reviews, although it's possible I'm not thinking of buying a wheel like that for several years. Just want something of an upgrade over my G27 to hold me over for a while; more buttons, and a better feeling for oversteer.

High end Fanatec is probably the end goal, but Thrustmaster is probably a stepping stone, and I'm ok with that if I go with them; maybe selling the wheel and starting from scratch.

Also not really worried about either wheel having issues, and needing repairs/replacement, because I'll still keep one of my G27's in the house as a backup.

Been thinking about button layouts with the Fanatec Formula rim, the Fanatec McLaren rim, and the Thrustmaster TS-PC rim, and the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 rim. Probably pros and cons with all, but ultimately, all are far superior to my 6 button G27.

Going to try and hold off until Black Friday, or maybe Christmas at the latest, just to see if there's some good sales from either company.