Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Show off your paint

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
We're just over a week out... lets see those paints!
Skidmarks Motorsports will be unveiled shortly. Anyone know how to hide the sponsor decals on this car? Justin, I know some of your paints have them hidden.

monsterZERO

Premium Member
Sorry for responding so late Tyler, I didn't see your post.  This is the paint FURY Simsport will be running this season:

As far as hiding the default decals, iRacing uses a separate file called a "decal layer" that contains default number plates and logos. It is applied automatically by the game over top of your personal paint when entering a session. For most cars you can substitute your own decal layer in place of iRacing's, it just has to be the in the correct format and named properly for the game to recognize it. I actually put together a little tutorial a while back on hiding the sponsor decals here:

https://imgur.com/a/M2Mxi#tHSLd38

It's for the AMG GT3, but the process is the same for any car. Let me know if you need a hand and I'll be glad to assist

monsterZERO

Premium Member
TRG said:
Thanks for this Justin. I will spend some time and fix up our paint some more... then show it off.

Sounds good man, let me know if you have any questions or need a hand; I've done a bunch of Pro Mazda paints and know the template insides and out by now!

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
My Photoshop experience is pretty thin to be honest. I've been experimenting with some carbon fibre textures so we will see how that turns out. The hardest part is going through all of the steps just to preview it on the car which takes up a good amount of time...

monsterZERO

Premium Member
TRG said:
Justin - I see that ProtoSimTech are sponsors on your car. You running PT-1 pedals?

I am, got them a little under a year ago. I was debating between these and Heuskinvelds, but ended up going with the PT-1 set because they were like half the price. Couldn't be happier with them, personally.

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Right on, I love my set as well. Excellent imvestment in my opinion. Do you have them mounted in a rig?

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
TRG said:
Right on, I love my set as well. Excellent imvestment in my opinion. Do you have them mounted in a rig?

I currently have the Fantec Clubsport pedals but am not a huge fan. Are these pedals robust and respond well to the adjustments of brake pressue? 

monsterZERO

Premium Member
paulwildridge said:
TRG said:

I currently have the Fantec Clubsport pedals but am not a huge fan. Are these pedals robust and respond well to the adjustments of brake pressue? 

That's what I had before these as well. They're about as robust as it gets, pretty much built like a tank. It may not be the easiest upgrade though depending on what your current rig is like. 

Firstly the load cell is WAY stronger that the Fanatecs. This is a good thing, obviously, but it does mean you will need to make sure these are mounted solidly in place. I upgraded to a full 80/20 rig at the same time so it wasn't an issue for me, but I can't really see any way these could be used in the same manner my old pedals were, just on the carpet. They also do not come pre-assembled and ready to rock right out of the box. Each pedal unit is separate and will require mounting to either your rig or the optional mounting plate they sell. It took me a solid hour or two before I had them up and running.

Also, these are niche, enthusiast built pedals and it really shows in the software department. There are no real drivers for the pedals, just the controller board they are wired to, and it can be a bit of a hassle calibrating the load cell since it is so powerful. It's so sensitive that it feels like you can trigger input by just breathing on the thing, yet at the same time it's so strong that hitting max force requires a massive effort. Way too much to be comfortable (for me). Luckily the software allows you to fine tune the usable range quite nicely, but it is no simple affair like calibrating consumer grade pedals, where you just press and release each pedal once and are done. 

Just some things to think about before you upgrade. As long as you know what you're getting yourself into they are absolutely phenomenal pedals, and well worth the price.