Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
mclachlanol said:So been trying out the new tires, so far I think I've learned:
1) First lap sucks, and I mean sucks, we really need to take it easy especially in the morning races. After the first lap though it does seem more forgiving and it you are able to catch the slides and wobbles easier.
2) Standing Starts are going to be harder. Before you can mash the pedal at the start but now you just spin, going to take some practice.
3) I needed to lower my tire pressures from last season. Made a big difference in lap times. Although I'm reading in the forums some are raising them so I'm not sure what the right call is. All I know I was a full second faster lowering the pressures by 1.5.
4) The third and fourth lap were great and then I lost a half a second to a second per lap for the rest of the stint. Plan on running short qualifying stints?
5) Tires degraded faster, I was down to 89-90% for left side tires at Catalunya after 20 min. Not sure how it will stand to a 45 min race, Some guys were getting tires last season but most were not. I'm wondering if that is going to change.
Overall, at first I hated it, really hated it. But after spending an hour practicing I got used to it and now I like it. It is an extra challenge that will require some practice.
madace said:Do you guys find the huge slip angles and crazy traction normal?
kart7990 said:First S4 official race in the books, it was a glorious disaster. Hate to sound like a broken record, but I think rolling starts with a formation lap or two should be tested/considered. Half the gird went spinning before turn one, and another 5 or 6 in the esses following turn one. I know we are a step above official iRacing races, but even by that standard, it was horrible. The launch requires clutch/throttle modulation (realistic and not a huge deal), and the first lap you're going to be driving a snow plow if you push even the slightest bit. This car needs tire warmers or warm up laps, especially with the new tire model.
ShadowNinjaPug said:Hi All,
Being new to this league, I have never raced where a pit stop was required so I was hoping a few fellow racers could enlighten me with some questions that I have:
1. Do you fill up to the max 50% of fuel allowed and only put in what’s needed to finish the race when you pit?
2. I race in VR, for those that do as well, how do you tell the sim how much fuel you need at pit? Verbal command through Crew Chief? Manually set it in the Black Boxes while driving? Else?
3. With the new tire model, anyone planning on swapping their tires during pit?
4. Is it expected that you announce that you are pitting in?
5. How does qualifying work? Is it the best lap posted during the entire 15-minute qualifying session or do you get the standard 2 timed laps?
6. Are there any unwritten rules/etiquette a newbie should be aware of?
7. Are races really time based (45 mins) or is this converted to a set number of laps?
Thanks in advance everyone.