Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Season 8

bige3dalejr88

Premium Member
Alright everyone, planning for Season 8 has already started. But thought maybe the participants of the series should have a some input. I would like to get your guys' thoughts on what tracks you would like on the next schedule. 8 of the tracks will be picked by organizers, managers, and/or director. Leaving 4 tracks unpicked. I will take the 4 most popular and add them to the possible schedule. The schedule WILL consist of 11 ovals and 1 road course.

These tracks are for sure next season:
Talladega
Charlotte
Miami-Homestead

ColtonLayne

Premium Member
Full Name
Colton Layne
iRacing ID
Michigan
Chicagoland
Watkins Glen (Its been a few seasons since we've been there)
USA Speedway (? Thoughts? This one could be pretty fun cause Xfinity does not go there so could be really cool)

ColtonLayne

Premium Member
Full Name
Colton Layne
iRacing ID
KodeyKnapmiller said:
Watkins Glen - produces good racing

Iowa
Gateway
Indianapolis Motor Speedway

(Thinking outside of the normal cookie cutter & traditional tracks.)

We actually did a Gateway race a season or two ago at my request and it was pretty cool. Thats why I suggested something like USA to get some interesting tracks in there that these cars dont normally run.

Here is the Gateway race   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0CxbV5SUu4

KodeyKnapmiller

I’ll have to check that out! Yeah just thinking of different change of pace and some cool night racing tracks would be neat. Even thinking of Lucas Oil raceway. Only concern about USA is that it is very one groove and races like martinsville... and want tracks that can produce good racing and multiple grooves

ColtonLayne

Premium Member
Full Name
Colton Layne
iRacing ID
Yeah I thought about that one as well but I haven't tried out the car on them so dunno how they would end up.

smattocks

Hello All,

Just Food For Thought...

There are quite a few items that the league has to address (IMO)for next season (i.e. chase, fixed vs open, schedule, rules changes) and beyond.  It may be useful to address items based on the hierarchal level of importance, since item x may have an impact on item z. Nevertheless, since this post is about schedule I will address scheduling only.  My suggestion is to use a framework that can/will be carried forward from season to season.  That being said, my recommendation for each season is:

a. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th races are always Daytona, Atlanta, Vegas, and Phoenix
b. Final Race always Miami

Each season consist of:
c. 2 superspeedways (Daytona, Talladega)
d. 2 -two mile tracks (California, Pocono, Michigan, Indy)
e. 1 road course (Watkins, Mid Ohio, Road America,)
f. 1 short track (Bristol, Richmond, Dover, Iowa, NHMS)
g. 6 intermediates (Texas, Atlanta, Vegas, Charlotte, Kentucky, Darlington, Chicago, Kanas, Miami)

All of the tracks listed above are the actual tracks from 2017 Xfinity schedule.  All tracks will automatically rotate each season except Daytona, Atlanta, Vegas, and Phoenix); whichever tracks were used this season will be rotated next season.  Think out of the box – a nonstandard track can be added to the rotation; thus, we should get a  different flava every other season.  

Suggestion (closely mirrors NASCAR Xfinity approach) assuming no chase format:
• Race #1 - Superspeedway
• Race #2 &3 - Intermediate
• Race #4 – Short
• Race #5 – Road course
• Race #6 & #7 Intermediate
• Race #8 – Two mile
• Race #9 – Superspeedway
• Race #10 – two mile
• Race #11& #12 – Intermediate

Suggestion assuming 16-race chase format (just thinking ahead):
• Race #4 – Short
• Race #5 – Road course
• Race #8 – Superspeedway
• Race #9 – two mile
• - - - - - Chase - - - - -
• Race #10 – Intermediate
• Race #11 - Short
• Race #12 – Intermediate
• Race #13 - Intermediate
• Race #14 – two mile
• Race #15 -  Intermediate
• Race #16 - intermediate

bonaduce

Premium Member
Full Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
couple seasons back we did USA in the trucks, was an absolute blast

dan

KodeyKnapmiller

smattocks said:
Hello All,

Just Food For Thought...

There are quite a few items that the league has to address (IMO)for next season (i.e. chase, fixed vs open, schedule, rules changes) and beyond.  It may be useful to address items based on the hierarchal level of importance, since item x may have an impact on item z. Nevertheless, since this post is about schedule I will address scheduling only.  My suggestion is to use a framework that can/will be carried forward from season to season.  That being said, my recommendation for each season is:

a. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th races are always Daytona, Atlanta, Vegas, and Phoenix
b. Final Race always Miami

Each season consist of:
c. 2 superspeedways (Daytona, Talladega)
d. 2 -two mile tracks (California, Pocono, Michigan, Indy)
e. 1 road course (Watkins, Mid Ohio, Road America,)
f. 1 short track (Bristol, Richmond, Dover, Iowa, NHMS)
g. 6 intermediates (Texas, Atlanta, Vegas, Charlotte, Kentucky, Darlington, Chicago, Kanas, Miami)

All of the tracks listed above are the actual tracks from 2017 Xfinity schedule.  All tracks will automatically rotate each season except Daytona, Atlanta, Vegas, and Phoenix); whichever tracks were used this season will be rotated next season.  Think out of the box – a nonstandard track can be added to the rotation; thus, we should get a  different flava every other season.  

Suggestion (closely mirrors NASCAR Xfinity approach) assuming no chase format:
• Race #4 – Short
• Race #5 – Road course
• Race #8 – Two mile
• Race #9 – Superspeedway
• Race #10 – two mile
• Race #11& #12 – Intermediate

Suggestion assuming 16-race chase format (just thinking ahead):
• Race #4 – Short
• Race #5 – Road course
• Race #8 – Superspeedway
• Race #9 – two mile
• - - - - - Chase - - - - -
• Race #10 – Intermediate
• Race #11 - Short
• Race #12 – Intermediate
• Race #13 - Intermediate
• Race #14 – two mile
• Race #15 -  Intermediate
• Race #16 - intermediate

Why only 1 short track when there’s 6 intermediates? Iowa doesn’t race like a short track. Neither does New Hampshire or Milwaukee mile. Gateway. Track variety is key. 

smattocks

Point Taken

Xfinity Races
             PRL
Total Races​
Percentage​
12-Race Equivalent​
16 Race Equivalent​
3​
9%​
1​
1.5​
5​
15%​
2​
2.4​
11​
33%​
4​
5.3​
11​
33%​
4​
5.3​
3​
9%​
1​
1.5​

bige3dalejr88

Premium Member
Okay guys, I created this thread as a way to get your all's thoughts on track selection. But after thinking about it today at the ball game, I've decided to open the thread up to you all's thoughts on what you would like to see next season. Your suggestions will be looked and thought about. If liked, it will get discussed will all the organizers.
But here's a quick list of what is kind of being talked about, or is in the thought process. Do Not get your hopes up, because non of this is for sure.

1. Setups. Fixed or Open. Most likely Open. (Most likely will be Open Setups from here on out)
2. Possible schedule extension. (From 12 to 16 possibly. Maybe a season or 2 from now)
3. Possible chase.(Most likely 2 or 3 seasons from now.)
4. Possible Non-Points race. (All-Star race type scenario. Segmented race, etc.) 
5. Incident Points review. (Could possibly increase and/or remove incident points limit all together. With that being said, there could be severe points penalties for incurring a stupid amount of incidents during a race. Possible penalties starting at minus 20 points, and increasing from there.)
6. Track Selection. 
7.Possible feeder league. (Possibly a FOR FUN - Fixed Truck Series. Something similar to the old Base Championship, when we ran the street stock for several seasons. Depending on interest. Primary focus though is on the Championship Series' that PRL is already set in running. But this is a work in progress)

ColtonLayne

Premium Member
Full Name
Colton Layne
iRacing ID
1. This I probably have the most to say about. I personally miss the days of fixed setup. Where everyone had an equal performing vehicle and it was based on how you raced the track and your competitors and not who has the most time to spend and dedicate to perfecting a setup. I myself do not have the time to spend hours on a setup with going to school full time and working a part time job. I feel that I had a lot more fun when I felt like I had a slight chance of winning every now and again than just being almost lapped by the time the first pitstops roll around.

If you look at last seasons stats we had 7 different winners by my count. We didnt have a repeat winner until week 5 but this season we already have a driver with 3 wins and we didnt have a driver with that many until week 12. So I feel that fixed setups will level the playing field somewhat. I know that comparing the first 6 weeks of this season to the full last season is sorta unfair cause its only half a season but we have seen a handful of clearly dominant cars up front every race and while we had our drivers in the past who always had a good chance to win I feel that that number has dropped to a very small amount compared to previous seasons.

I will stick with the league no matter what but I really do miss the feeling that everyone has a shot to win if you play your cards right and with open setups it automatically puts myself and probably a few others at a disadvantage.

2. Im cool with an extension but I do not think we need it.

3. Chase would work with our current 12 week schedule. 9 Regular races and 3 chase races. Top 12 on points gets in and and anybody with a win of course.

4. This is a neat idea.

5. I like the idea of removing incidents on all tracks except road courses. I feel like if we remove them for road courses it makes it too easy to get an advantage by constantly going off track so keeping some kind of reasonable limit on those would be nice. However on the ovals just remove them because we have admins now anyways who penalize the drivers causing wrecks so having an incident limit will just punish those who have been involved in accidents that arent their fault.

6. I posted track suggestions in another post in here but I feel like we should always rotate the tracks and have very few mainstays to keep things fresh. Obviously we are limited when it comes to restrictor plate tracks but both Daytona and Talladega drive similarly enough so either one or both is cool with me.

7. Id be potentially interested in running a fun series depending on the day and such.

bonaduce

Premium Member
Full Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
Not that I race in this series, haven't now for 3 seasons for various reasons. But one of the things I remember mentioning to Brandon was a "feeder" league. Top 5 from feeder league would move up and bottom 5 of top league move to feeder league. As for the other points, several seasons ago track selection was done by the racers and sponsored by said racer. items 2,3,4,5 shouldn't be an issue, item 1, I can see colton's point, reminds me of the days of "you run what you brung". Just my .02

dan

KodeyKnapmiller

I’d have to agree with Colton about fixed setups. As much as I would dislike running them, it does level the playing field and in this league a lot of guys just simply don’t have the time. So I would like to see a move back to fixed setups for league purposes, but maybe slightly longer races to allow more of a strategy play out especially with the new dynamic track surfaces. Open setups are good for everyone cause you can get a car driving how you want it, but the amount of time put into them varies throughout the league. I say this as a viewer of the series as well, not as the guy who won 3 races already. Viewers of the broadcast want to see battling for position, strategy, and just good hard close racing. I hope this league can stay open setups with more collaboration between members, I would have no problem showing my weekly setups but the problem is I run for points in the actual B Open series and we all know how competitive that already is.

Jeffery Ford

Premium Member
bige3dalejr88 said:
Okay guys, I created this thread as a way to get your all's thoughts on track selection. But after thinking about it today at the ball game, I've decided to open the thread up to you all's thoughts on what you would like to see next season. Your suggestions will be looked and thought about. If liked, it will get discussed will all the organizers.
But here's a quick list of what is kind of being talked about, or is in the thought process. Do Not get your hopes up, because non of this is for sure.

1. Setups. Fixed or Open. Most likely Open. (Most likely will be Open Setups from here on out)
2. Possible schedule extension. (From 12 to 16 possibly. Maybe a season or 2 from now)
3. Possible chase.(Most likely 2 or 3 seasons from now.)
4. Possible Non-Points race. (All-Star race type scenario. Segmented race, etc.) 
5. Incident Points review. (Could possibly increase and/or remove incident points limit all together. With that being said, there could be severe points penalties for incurring a stupid amount of incidents during a race. Possible penalties starting at minus 20 points, and increasing from there.)
6. Track Selection. 
7.Possible feeder league. (Possibly a FOR FUN - Fixed Truck Series. Something similar to the old Base Championship, when we ran the street stock for several seasons. Depending on interest. Primary focus though is on the Championship Series' that PRL is already set in running. But this is a work in progress)

1.  Fixed.  For all the reasons already given by Colton and Kody.

2.  Season Length.  12 Races is a good season, no real reason to run 16 (not necessary even if chase format is adopted 9+3 will work fine)

3. Chase.  This HAS TO happen.  It keeps all drivers engaged and gives everyone a chance at playoff excitement.  And it is very easy to adopt and wouldn't take any additional resources from the management team.

4. I personally wouldn't be interested in a non-points race.  This would cut down on 1 race during our 12 or 16 race schedule.

5.  Get rid of incidents all together.  I don't think we have an intentional wrecking issue in this league.  Everything is a racing incident...that doesn't mean it wasn't stupid though.

6.  My 3 choices are Dover, Daytona, Kansas.  However....I would like to see us follow the B Class Iracing Official Schedule.  Usually by Sunday most of us have ALOT of laps on the track from running official races all week long.  I believe this will help with competition.

7.  Feeder Legue is a FANTASTIC idea.  Dropping members who finish low in the standings not a good idea.   In the practice session just prior to the race starting we invite the TOP 8 drivers in the Feeder League to the race session.  The top 3 practice times stay for the race.

Big Thanks to the management for getting our opinions.  The two biggest things that would benefit the league would be Fixed Setups and the Chase.  Still perplexed why we don't have the Chase....glad to see it is at least on the minds of the league.

Also, very nice post Steven Mattocks.  I like your ideas.