Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Season 14 registration poll

If we add a signup fee of $10 next season, will you signup?

  • Yes

    Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

    Votes: 3 14.3%

  • Total voters
    21

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
9,181
Location
Nicolet, QC, Canada
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
177904
Hey guys!

It has been brought by some members this season. Do you you think we should ask all drivers who would like to signup a $10 fee in favor to cover a part of the broadcast? If we get 36 signups at $10, it will give us $360. Obviously, this is not enough to cover the whole season broadcast which is $500. But we will only need $140. It means that race sponsoring will be less expensive.

So what's your thoughts? Should we keep it free and ask $50 per sponsored race or ask all drivers who sign up a $10 entry fee?
 

shawnkenning

Active member
Joined
Mar 8, 2018
Messages
43
Location
USA, CA, Fremont
Ask for an entry fee. Perhaps it will keep people from signing up and then no-showing for so many races that they get dropped. 10 or even 15 bucks is nothing for what we get in return.
 

Sassy_McSassypants

Premium Member
Joined
May 23, 2018
Messages
63
Location
Minnesota, United States
Full Name
Pete Mobroten
iRacing ID
312540
Voted yes, I'm basing that on my experience with my first PRL season so far. It's well run and has a lot of good competition to offer at a wide range of skill. I didn't think I cared much about it being broadcast until I sat down to watch the first few weeks after the race. It's pretty neat to see the whole event you participated in called from perspectives you couldn't see while on track. No question in my mind that's worth $10 to me.

However...

This may discourage newcomers. I tried this on a whim when invited by my teammate because why not?  All of the above is based on my experience so far. Without that experience I wouldn't have understood what m makes it more enjoyable and worth it than other options. The counterpoint was already mentioned. Maybe this isn't a problem at all because while it may result in fewer signups or a much smaller waiting list, the commitment may be higher from those who still signed up. 

In any event, I'm in if that's the way it goes. Just be careful with sending the right message to potential newcomers.
 

DeamingPie

Organizer
Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Messages
589
Location
Florida
Full Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
308605
There's several things to take into consideration, some of which have already been pointed out.

Since PRL started the broadcasting, there hasn't been a single round missed. We in the community have been more than happy to pick up the tab to make it happen. In truth, I receive no return on the investment however I don't do it for a return, I do it to support our league and those in it. Because of that, I have no issues paying $10 up front and a smaller portion to broadcast the race.

As Pete mentioned, this may discourage newcomers. My counter to that is if they cannot pony up $1 per race to support the league I could argue we don't want them here.

You will also have to consider the logistics of it for people who drop and people who come in mid season. Do you refund the portion the driver drops and charge the mid season driver the balance? If make it non refundable are you charging the mid season entry a pro-rated fee?
 

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
9,181
Location
Nicolet, QC, Canada
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
177904
Drivers who will have a seat and drop will norlt be refund. Drivers joining mid season, it's $1 per race. So if he joins on round 3, he will have to pay $8.
 

Sassy_McSassypants

Premium Member
Joined
May 23, 2018
Messages
63
Location
Minnesota, United States
Full Name
Pete Mobroten
iRacing ID
312540
DeamingPie said:
As Pete mentioned, this may discourage newcomers.  My counter to that is if they cannot pony up $1 per race to support the league I could argue we don't want them here.  

Ehhh... I'm less concerned with people who won't chip in even after they clearly understand the caliber of organization, competition and broadcast. There's a few groups of folks that wouldn't be willing to pay. People who aren't familiar with PRL and don't see the value, people who see the value but simply don't want to chip in, and people who know they waffle on commitments. It's that first group that warrants consideration.

Make sure it's clear what's on offer for a quite reasonable price to someone who has never heard of PRL before and is taking a quick first look. If folks fall into the other groups then agreed they're probably not a good fit and it's no big loss for anyone involved.
 

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
9,181
Location
Nicolet, QC, Canada
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
177904
Sassy_McSassypants said:
DeamingPie said:
As Pete mentioned, this may discourage newcomers.  My counter to that is if they cannot pony up $1 per race to support the league I could argue we don't want them here.  

Ehhh... I'm less concerned with people who won't chip in even after they clearly understand the caliber of organization, competition and broadcast. There's a few groups of folks that wouldn't be willing to pay. People who aren't familiar with PRL and don't see the value, people who see the value but simply don't want to chip in, and people who know they waffle on commitments. It's that first group that warrants consideration.

Make sure it's clear what's on offer for a quite reasonable price to someone who has never heard of PRL before and is taking a quick first look. If folks fall into the other groups then agreed they're probably not a good fit and it's no big loss for anyone involved.

When I will do recruitment on iRacing forum, I can give some nice race we had from GRSC video and it should be enough to convince how fun racing here is :D
 

DEADZERO

Premium Member
Joined
May 21, 2017
Messages
795
Location
Canada, Toronto
Here is my take as some looking from the outside in.

I want to get into iRacing, I have a membership already but have to renew my account (waiting for the black Friday sale). I have tried a 3 month trial twice and I more so enjoyed the 2nd one because the first time i had no guidance through the menus and little understanding of how it all worked. After do many races and slowly raising my license in both road and oval, i want to be part of this community that Jerome speaks so highly of.

My racing background with PRL is in Project Cars and F1 201x leagues. My skill level has improved over the years and eventually forked out the money for a Thurstmaster after having a G27 for 5+ years.

I understand how PRL runs their races but have yet to experience what it's like to be part of a broadcasted race. My girlfriend liked watching my race recaps for F1 and something like this would be enjoyable for both of us. For me to dish out $10 USD (which is basically a meal at a bar including tip of you convert it to CAD), I'm wondering at what the quality of this service is. Are there live graphics? Are there commentators? If I do bad in the first few races but then get better and finish higher in later races, will the commentators mention that? Will it feel like I'm a real race car driver just like in the official broadcasted iRacing events?

I'm on a budget, especially since cost of living is way too high in Canada, and I would want to make every dollar count. You guys seem to be passionate about this series and one person said, he would only pay for this because he already experienced one season with this service. I don't have the cars or the tracks required for this league and I think someone estimated that it would cost me about $300 to join this league including the cost of renewal.

I dont think it's too fair for new comers to join for free and returning drivers have to pay a fee but maybe have a trial period for newcomers like myself? Let us participate in 2 or 3 races (incase 1 race is botched from an unfortunate accident at the beginning) and then have us pay for the remainder of the races like Jerome suggested.
 

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
9,181
Location
Nicolet, QC, Canada
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
177904
DEADZERO said:
Here is my take as some looking from the outside in.

I want to get into iRacing, I have a membership already but have to renew my account (waiting for the black Friday sale). I have tried a 3 month trial twice and I more so enjoyed the 2nd one because the first time i had no guidance through the menus and little understanding of how it all worked. After do many races and slowly raising my license in both road and oval, i want to be part of this community that Jerome speaks so highly of.

My racing background with PRL is in Project Cars and F1 201x leagues. My skill level has improved over the years and eventually forked out the money for a Thurstmaster after having a G27 for 5+ years.

I understand how PRL runs their races but have yet to experience what it's like to be part of a broadcasted race. My girlfriend liked watching my race recaps for F1 and something like this would be enjoyable for both of us. For me to dish out $10 USD (which is basically a meal at a bar including tip of you convert it to CAD), I'm wondering at what the quality of this service is. Are there live graphics? Are there commentators? If I do bad in the first few races but then get better and finish higher in later races, will the commentators mention that? Will it feel like I'm a real race car driver just like in the official broadcasted iRacing events?

I'm on a budget, especially since cost of living is way too high in Canada, and I would want to make every dollar count. You guys seem to be passionate about this series and one person said, he would only pay for this because he already experienced one season with this service. I don't have the cars or the tracks required for this league and I think someone estimated that it would cost me about $300 to join this league including the cost of renewal.

I dont think it's too fair for new comers to join for free and returning drivers have to pay a fee but maybe have a trial period for newcomers like myself? Let us participate in 2 or 3 races (incase 1 race is botched from an unfortunate accident at the beginning) and then have us pay for the remainder of the races like Jerome suggested.

10$ USD is really not big considering the cost of iRacing (renewal and content). Regarding the broadcast, please watch GSRC on youtube and you'll see how professional they are! Yes it worth the price because they are offering top quality broadcast.

Yes it's expensive, but in a way, this is not a series for newcomer to iRacing. This is a series dedicated to experimented drivers. Drivers are require to a have minimum of C licence 2.0 and iRating of 1300. So if you're new to iRacing, this is not a recommended series for you. I had the same thought than you before I start playing iRacing; it's expensive. But now that I've spent like around $600 since 2015, I have a lot of content and the only thing I need to pay is my renewal.

At first, I suggest you to join low cost championship like the Friday series which is basically using only free content.
 

DEADZERO

Premium Member
Joined
May 21, 2017
Messages
795
Location
Canada, Toronto
I shall do that then. I'm not a C class driver yet but I do intend to progress. But if the Friday series allows me to experience iRacing before I make it to the big league then I will do that and make my way up to the big leagues. In regards to the fee tho, for someone who hasn't raced with PRL long, they may not feel comfortable giving their money to something they know little about or haven't know for very long.
 

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
9,181
Location
Nicolet, QC, Canada
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
177904
I understand, but just watch the broadcast of our races by GSRC and you'll see how professional is this championship. We want to charge fee only because it will avoid members to give more than $50 per season to have us broadcast. It cost $50 per race to be broadcasted. If a new driver isn't comfortable to give $10 entry fee, we will have 5 other free championships to join.
 

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Joined
Feb 11, 2017
Messages
2,824
Location
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
194814
Thursday series provides some very close and fun racing in the Skippy as well... Great car to hone your skills on.
 

Matt1983

Active member
Joined
Oct 21, 2017
Messages
25
Location
Lincoln, NE U.S.A
Yes because this is a good group of guys with good clean racing and if we recruit new people we need to make sure they have a reason to show up and race good.
 

DEADZERO

Premium Member
Joined
May 21, 2017
Messages
795
Location
Canada, Toronto
TRG said:
Thursday series provides some very close and fun racing in the Skippy as well... Great car to hone your skills on.

Signed up for that. Hoping eventually I'll move up to the Tuesday series. Will you guys ever use the Audi R8 in this series as well? I'm a Audi lover so that's why I ask.
 

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
9,181
Location
Nicolet, QC, Canada
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
177904
DEADZERO said:
TRG said:
Thursday series provides some very close and fun racing in the Skippy as well... Great car to hone your skills on.

Signed up for that. Hoping eventually I'll move up to the Tuesday series. Will you guys ever use the Audi R8 in this series as well? I'm a Audi lover so that's why I ask.

Audi is a GT3 car, this series is GTE. 
 
Top