Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 9: Phillip Island Circuit / Afternoon - (Jun 15)

PRL-Sammy H

Premium Member

Sponsor this circuit for only $4.95 USD

[circuit_5][/circuit_5]​

Race Length: 31 Laps
Start Type: Standing
Fuel Amount: 20%
Track State: 25%
Clean Marbles: No
Weather: iRacing Dynamic Weather
Time of Day: Afternoon

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
What kind of times are you guys able to run here? I am struggling with setup again, the ones on setupsync all feel like someone greased the tires up, seriously no grip. After a few laps up to temp its a biiit better, but I will never survive the opening laps so im going from scratch it seems.

Just hoping you aren't all running something silly like 1:25's or the likes. I feel stable on track, but want to know if im gonna be seconds off the pace with this setup!

SharkV

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
Hi,

When I was praticing to see times, I did 1,26, but only 5-6 laps, and I don't remember wich setup I used.  So yes, 1.25 is possible, all depends on the track temp and setup.

xvalue

I was running super loose and just trying to hold on, but it wasnt anywhere near a confident race setup. I then just put on more wing (19 front and second lowest rear wing), but kept the aero balance and it helped a lot. You really need to be able to throw the car into the corner without the rear stepping out to be able to hit a decent laptime.

I'm in the 1:28-9s

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
SharkV said:
Hi,

When I was praticing to see times, I did 1,26, but only 5-6 laps, and I don't remember wich setup I used.  So yes, 1.25 is possible, all depends on the track temp and setup.

Why am I not suprised Dany  :).  Guess I can try to trim some more time off, but realistically I just need to run consistently at the pace I'm comfortable in and not get sucked into trying to keep up with you frontrunners! 

Andrew, I'm mostly in the 1:28's as well, hit 1.27.9 a couple times, but at this point can't maintain that for 40 laps. 

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
xvalue said:
Anyone else losing it on the exit of turn 9?

I find that one tricky to get perfect. I hold it tight to the inside in the final portion of T9 as to have a decent line for the tight right hander, breaking at the hillcrest. So I guess a generally late apex. 

Who knows, the actually fast guys probably do something totally different haha. 

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
I found this setup flow chart in the Pro Mazda forums. I just started using it and it's definitely helping me figure out how to balance the car better.
Depends on the track temp but I may try an go with a slightly trimmed out medium DF set this week. I'll loose a little time in the straits but I think it will be better for the race. I've been using some lower DF sets the past couple of weeks and I can get some fast times but I have also spun a few times too. I'll see if I can go for a 0 inc this time around  ;).

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Not good, but fun race everyone!  I spun myself in T2 of course, so it was a battle from there.  Jim, our little spat in the pit lane where I tried to jump you cost me dearly.  I turned my pit limiter off approximately 2 feet too early!   Speeding so a 15 sec stop and go.  I made many other bonehead mistakes, not my finest hour.

Ron, while my overtake ended up clean, I admit it was "a verstappen" and pretty aggressive.  Sorry if it seemed bullish, but I was pushing hard to make up whatever time I could.  I hope no hard feelings.  

I need settle down a bit it seems, but its so hard to turn off the "pump" that the race gives!  As always, lots of fun, even if it was a terrible race on my part.  

Nice win Kevin, I'm still looking for someone willing to put a tow-rope on their car and drag me along  :lol:

Carsten Quint

Premium Member
Not a good race for myself either. Had some issues with my computer getting terrible frames, 25 fps and bad stutters, occasionally one of my side monitors would go black too. This was very distracting, and may have contributed to my 4 spins. I got really frustrated with my last spin, came back on track without looking only to realize that i pulled out 2 seconds infront of the leader. Dissapointed to make such a boneheaded move I pulled off track and parked it. Hopefully I will have my issues sorted for next week.

SharkV

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
Hi,

Started 4th, finnishe 5th, but here is my race.

1st lap, Matthew spin in 2, trying to avoid him, I turned my Wheel to hard and spun myself, back to 11th.  Then, couples of lap later, I did a "Paul D Johson" of myself, missing my braking point in 4, and almost took 1 with me....back to 11tn.  Worked my way through the field up to 8th, then Tyler spun in 2 and was slow out of two, I saw him, and decided to pass him on the outside.....wrong move as he was going outside, clipped him and bent my left front, had to pit and take my fast repair.  Was able to get back in 4th with 3 to go, but as I pitted early, I was short of 2 laps of fuel, had to pit again, came out 5th....Was an intersting race...hard work for em to get a 5th...

xvalue

Really tough race for me. I never got the setup where I needed it and as a result, I was driving a car that was on a knife edge for grip the whole time.

I just tried to keep it pointed ahead and stay out of people's way.

In the end, I think the 3 iracing setups are pretty good for most tracks when it comes to stability.