Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Round 9: Phillip Island Circuit (16 May)

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Philip_Island_GP.png

Time of day: Morning
Practice: 7:50 AM (in-game time)
Qualifying: 10:50 AM (in-game time)
Race: 11:05 AM (in-game time)
Race Length: 45 minutes
Max Incidents: 24
Max. Fuel: 35%
Start: Standing
Fast Repair: 0

Pre-Race Interview :

1- After wandering through the dark at Sebring, we have emerged at Phillip Island! How do you feel about this track? Any favorite or hated sections? 

2- Speaking of the dark, we ended up with a night race after all last week! Did you enjoy that? What do you think of doing something like that again, but on a better lit track (like Daytona road)? 

3- Only 2 rounds left! Are you still working hard to best your rivals? Or has the F3 on the horizon started to grab your practice time? 

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
Please, please, I beg of race direction, please make sure the pit out is the left straight away pit exit. I know you cannot change the sim settings to block the quick right pit exit.

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
1- After wandering through the dark at Sebring, we have emerged at Phillip Island! How do you feel about this track? Any favorite or hated sections?

One of my favorite tracks to race. High corner speed = fun by the metric ton.

2- Speaking of the dark, we ended up with a night race after all last week! Did you enjoy that? What do you think of doing something like that again, but on a better lit track (like Daytona road)?

Night racing is a blast. Sebring is unique as even though not many sections of the track are lit up, the reflectors make navigation easy. Week 13 had racing at Laguna, which has no track lighting and that was an absolute blast. I don't think the F3 has lights, so no scary dark racing next season.

3- Only 2 rounds left! Are you still working hard to best your rivals? Or has the F3 on the horizon started to grab your practice time?

Two races to overcome a 19 point deficit. I look forward to the challenge but Unger is going to be tough to beat.

crich88848

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1- After wandering through the dark at Sebring, we have emerged at Phillip Island! How do you feel about this track? Any favorite or hated sections? [/font]
I've never turned a lap here before.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2- Speaking of the dark, we ended up with a night race after all last week! Did you enjoy that? What do you think of doing something like that again, but on a better lit track (like Daytona road)? [/font]
Absolutely... Last week was a blast. I cried like a little girl who just had her Barbies head ripped off when I first joined the session. Turned out to be a really good race, would've been better if I could've kept it together the past five laps.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3- Only 2 rounds left! Are you still working hard to best your rivals? Or has the F3 on the horizon started to grab your practice time? [/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I've been slowly working my way up the leaderboards after having a bad start to the season. Matt, Tyler and Owen are within striking distance now. I've also been putting in a bunch of laps in the F3. Man am I excited for next season. Keeping the F3 clean will be critical though, a little bit of front wing damage can cost a couple seconds of pace.[/font]

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1- After wandering through the dark at Sebring, we have emerged at Phillip Island! How do you feel about this track? Any favorite or hated sections? [/font]
Love this track, turn 4 will be chaos though no matter what car you  are in

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2- Speaking of the dark, we ended up with a night race after all last week! Did you enjoy that? What do you think of doing something like that again, but on a better lit track (like Daytona road)? [/font]
I liked the dark, felt like I was driving home from the golf course.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3- Only 2 rounds left! Are you still working hard to best your rivals? Or has the F3 on the horizon started to grab your practice time?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Still trying, don't think I will get there though.  As for the F3, all I have done is reading up on it in the forums.[/font]

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
bonaduce said:
Love this track, turn 4 will be chaos though no matter what car you  are in

On the opening lap, if people don't get crazy, brake right after the 100M board.  Once you have spacing take the normal brake marker.  I'm more worried about Lukey Heights and people trying to over take there.  The fast left hander going uphill does not require brakes.  Following people in there will be...challenging.  In the offical race yesterday the guy just had to get around me and then brakes going up hill.  Like a good little idiot I drove off into the grass to not destroy him.  

TheGreatC81

Premium Member
Name
David Cristelli
iRacing ID
I've never driven this track so I have some practicing to do. I get my wheel back tomorrow so not much time to learn and come up with a setup. I'll probably just keep it conservative and hope for a good race.

I'm not a huge fan of night racing, but that may be because of my settings or maybe just a thing VR doesn't do as well. It's a fun change of pace though, so as long as it's a lit track, that's cool with me.

I'm too new to have a rival, so I'll probably start mixing in some F3. I am enjoying the Radical though. It's a challenging car, especially compared to the tin tops I'm used to driving. After driving the Radical and getting used to the quick reactions needed, controlling a Merc GT3 feels easy.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
DeamingPie said:
Please, please, I beg of race direction, please make sure the pit out is the left straight away pit exit.  I know you cannot change the sim settings to block the quick right pit exit.

Our organizers will mention this in the pre race meeting. Pit exit will be the long road to the left. Any driver caught using the exit to the right will be issued a DSQ. 

The reason for this is the right exit dumps you right onto the racing line near corner entry. In past seasons we have seen a lot of races ruined by using this pit exit road.

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
TRG said:
DeamingPie said:
Please, please, I beg of race direction, please make sure the pit out is the left straight away pit exit.  I know you cannot change the sim settings to block the quick right pit exit.

Our organizers will mention this in the pre race meeting. Pit exit will be the long road to the left. Any driver caught using the exit to the right will be issued a DSQ. 

The reason for this is the right exit dumps you right onto the racing line near corner entry. In past seasons we have seen a lot of races ruined by using this pit exit road.

My man.

I remember in the Tuesday league the first time we raced there, it was a nightmare.  It wouldn't be bad if the concrete was wasn't blocking the view.  Plus the closing speed is too great and there is no time to react for cars blowing down the straight.  Using the left exit will allow slower traffic to exit into turn 1 without affecting the race line.  

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
mclachlanol said:
It must of been awhile since I raced here, I don't remember the pit exit having that shortcut.

There's two exits.  One on the right, located right after the pit wall ends, and the other follows the main straight on the left and dumps out on the outside of turn 1.

The one on the right is suicide and should never be used, ever.

TheGreatC81

Premium Member
Name
David Cristelli
iRacing ID
I'm finally back in action! Got my wheel back yesterday and went straight into practicing for tomorrow. I can't believe I haven't driven here before! It's got that roller coaster flow like Mosport, but with more braking zones where overtakes are possible.  Plenty of room to run 2 wide in a lot of the fast corners too.  This should be a fun race! 

Anyone have a set they don't mind sharing? I started working on one last night, but I'm still new to the Radical and don't have much time to tweak. 

What kind of times should I be shooting for? I'm in the mid 1.25's consistently now (using the morning setting for my practice session) with my best lap being a hair over 1.25 flat. I'm guessing you fast jerks are in the 23's...

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
TheGreatC81 said:
I'm finally back in action! Got my wheel back yesterday and went straight into practicing for tomorrow. I can't believe I haven't driven here before! It's got that roller coaster flow like Mosport, but with more braking zones where overtakes are possible.  Plenty of room to run 2 wide in a lot of the fast corners too.  This should be a fun race! 

Anyone have a set they don't mind sharing? I started working on one last night, but I'm still new to the Radical and don't have much time to tweak. 

What kind of times should I be shooting for? I'm in the mid 1.25's consistently now (using the morning setting for my practice session) with my best lap being a hair over 1.25 flat. I'm guessing you fast jerks are in the 23's...

I am going to try and jump on tonight.  If I can make it, it will be around 8PMish EST and I'll help you out.  I can tell you the iRacing base setup will get you in the high 24's.  I would start with the base set up, drop the tire pressures to 19.5 all around and put some laps in.   My race pace is mid to high 23's, just depends on how bad I screw up Lukey Heights.  Coming out of the left hander turn 11 that leads to long radius left onto the back straight is all about throttle control.  In 2nd the full throttle the car wants to come around, 3rd gear it bogs down.  Finding the limit with feathering the throttle out of the corner has been fun.

On a side note I am almost finished with next batch of button boxes.  I had some personal issues over the weekend that prevented me from doing any work.  I have three more face plates to wire up and then I will get to drilling the enclosures for the USB cable.

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
1. Meh it’s ok. Not a lot of experience here.

2. I am all for night races. Daytona would be awesome for 2 reasons. 1. The oval would create some awesome racing and 2. Night time at Daytona is like nothing else.

3. There’s a race this week? I’m a gun for hire at this point. Some want me to help their championship standing at the end of the season better hook it up. I already have a few requesting help in the legal manner. Won’t say who

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
Pretty indifferent about this track to be honest. This must be the first time I've raced this track because none of this is looking familiar...

I actually did!  I was really skeptical at first.  I was having a hard time staying on track in the day, but at night it seemed a lot easier to manage.  Go figure!

Me, Phil and Ron have a really close battle going on in the Driver's Championship!  We're all just one point off from each other and it has the potential to be for a top 10!!

SharkV

Manager
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
Just want to apologies to Phil...I taught that I had enough room to pass you on the right, but seems not...all on me on that

mclachlanol

Organizer
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
That was tough one only 6 finished on the lead lap!

I had no grip for the first few laps but after that the car felt pretty good and was chasing down Kerlan with Chris. Looking like it was going to be a good race and until I lost it and lightly tapped the tire wall.

8 mins of repairs, ugh, hope the F3 is stronger than the Radical!

SuperHawk

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Michael Overbay
iRacing ID
Yeah the F3 is much stronger than the Radical. I've finished a race with no rear wing and smashed in side. And was only a couple of seconds off the pace I was doing initially.

scotty48

Name
Fun night even though I showed my rookie colors! Couldn't do anything right during qualifying or race. Topped it off by blowing the motor.
Oh well at least learning what not to do. Like Radical but looking forward to F-3.