Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 9: Austria - Red Bull Ring (05Dec18 @ 9pm EST)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Sucuri
2nd: Darklol
3rd: piboye
Pole: Sucuri (01:06.089)
FL: Sucuri (01:08.785)

jalmenar

Premium Member
Guys,

My steering wheel just broke down and it looks like it will take a while before Fanatec can repair it. One of the connecting pins broke inside the wheel base (See pic). Anyways, I'm going to be out of the league indefinitely, but hope to be back by early next year. If Fanatec has not fixed the wheel by then I'll just order a new wheel. With that said, If I can give my seat to a reserve driver and get the seat back when I get my wheel, that would be great. But If I have to give up my seat permanently, I understand. Yet, I'm positive I'll be back at some point in January, so I hope I can retain my seat for the season.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20181130_162252966_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20181130_162252966_LI.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 198

iceman153

It looks like you could just use a pair to pliers to pull that broken pin out couldn't you? from the photo it looks like it's sticking out enough to grab it. Then they would just need to repair your wheel rim, they can probably just mail you a replacement connector and you'd be good to go. would be much faster than sending it in and waiting for them to repair/mail it back.

When i had issues with my old one they sent out parts for me to try pretty quickly.

jalmenar

Premium Member
iceman153 said:
It looks like you could just use a pair to pliers to pull that broken pin out couldn't you?  from the photo it looks like it's sticking out enough to grab it.  Then they would just need to repair your wheel rim, they can probably just mail you a replacement connector and you'd be good to go.  would be much faster than sending it in and waiting for them to repair/mail it back.

When i had issues with my old one they sent out parts for me to try pretty quickly.

Yea, I  emailed them this weekend, so lets see what happens. I did remove the pin from the base, so the base is good, now it is just the steering wheel. Since my product is still under warranty, I'm hoping they can fix it right away without much problem, but it will definitely take time, shipping-fixing-reshipping, so lets see.

moogleslam

Premium Member
jalmenar said:
iceman153 said:
It looks like you could just use a pair to pliers to pull that broken pin out couldn't you?  from the photo it looks like it's sticking out enough to grab it.  Then they would just need to repair your wheel rim, they can probably just mail you a replacement connector and you'd be good to go.  would be much faster than sending it in and waiting for them to repair/mail it back.

Yea, I  emailed them this weekend, so lets see what happens. I did remove the pin from the base, so the base is good, now it is just the steering wheel. Since my product is still under warranty, I'm hoping they can fix it right away without much problem, but it will definitely take time, shipping-fixing-reshipping, so lets see.

I'll keep you in your seat for now, but keep me updated on when you're likely to be back.

jalmenar

Premium Member
moogleslam said:
jalmenar said:
iceman153 said:

I'll keep you in your seat for now, but keep me updated on when you're likely to be back.

Thanks! I will keep you guys posted.

Sucuri

Best, fastest most bad ass line into the pits here!  :lol:

[youtube]hE_055maY8c[/youtube]

Satoshi

Evening,

I wont be able to make tomorrow nights race. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yall have a good race and ill be there next week,

AJ

moogleslam

Premium Member
Driver Status (will update)

[ul]
[li]jalmenar > Lamp (Toro Rosso) - not yet confirmed[/li]
[li]Satoshi > piboye (Williams)[/li]
[/ul]

moogleslam

Premium Member
The conflict is that I hate practice, but I also hate being unprepared for races. #firstworldproblems

Fruitsalsa

[youtube]DBNg0ApLDt8[/youtube]

I am guessing this will be quite useful for most of you to comprehend the mayhem at turn 1...

patlessard

Premium Member
this rule should be more penalised ...
you cant take out 3 cars and just go ...

If contact between drivers occurs that results in the guilty driver making up places on the innocent driver, the guilty driver must immediately relinquish that position; even if it means the guilty driver has to allow drivers who were not involved in the incident to pass while waiting for the driver they created contact with to resume racing.

that was ridiculous ...

moogleslam

Premium Member
iceman and I managed an hour or so of practice before the race, and I was feeling pretty good about my pace.  Easy circuit to learn, and I really like it.  Makes me happy in the same way Monza does, and I see some similarities.  Besides my career race, I've only raced here once before, maybe ~4 years ago, when I randomly showed up as a Reserve, only to find it was Austria which I'd never raced at before, so spent the whole race near the back :)

Qualifying

Was targeting a 1:04x, and managed a 1:05.3 on my first hot lap.  I was happy with that as a starting point, but I wouldn't be happy with much more over the remainder of the session.  The rest of the session would include two corner cuts at turn 1, and a corner cut at the last turn, even though I had tire contact with the track in all cases, and I also managed a spin at turn 1.  In all, I managed only one more timed lap, and it was barely an improvement at 1:05.1.  I certainly had a lot more in me, so a really disappointing session, and starting 8th.

Race

Good start, but went a bit too deep into turn 1 (as did many others).  At the time, I thought it was really bad, but after watching the video and talking about it post race, I see it wasn't that bad at all.  I made contact with Sucuri's side pod, maybe pushed him wide, but no damage to his car, and he got out of the corner in 2nd place.  Meanwhile, I had damaged my front wing.

I actually got out of the chaos in 3rd place, but I had zero focus on that at the time because I was still thinking about turn 1.  I had the inside for the next turn, but had to brake so early that I lost 4 more places, and still went a bit too deep because of the angle I had to take the corner at.

EDIT:  Forgot that the reason I lost 4 places was because I was given an illegal overtake in the turn 1 carnage, but on plasma of all people!  Had to slow for that, and that's also why I was on the inside, so that I'd slow off the racing line.  That must be when Tron said he almost hit the back of me

I think I finally settled down after that, but was losing a lot of time due to the wing damage.  I thought I'd try and deal with it so as to not compromise my strategy, and then just make an earlier stop, instead of converting to two stops.

Some drivers ahead must have had incidents or damage, because it was too early for anyone to pit, but I found myself back up to 4th.  Unfortunately, I couldn't hold on to it because the wing damage was too much.  After some battles with Mudd, Bobino, Mega, and Norm, I was down in 7th, when I lightly tapped the back of Norm, and damaged the other side of my front wing.  It was only lap 8, but I thought I'd pit and see if I could take Soft's to the end.  I was actually relieved to finally have a chance to get a new wing and escape the understeer.

That was my first laps on the Soft compound, and I didn't love it, but certainly had some better pace.  I had a good battle with both McLaren's, and then Aranir and Mega again too.  Unfortunately, and in a role reversal from earlier in the season, I would tap the back of Mega and damage my front wing once more.  I was thinking of exactly this right before it happened, and even hit the brakes extra early to avoid it, but I think he was also braking early to avoid the car in front of him.

That was total of 6 laps of the race so far with my front wing intact.  Ugh.  No matter how it compromised my race by making another pit stop, I was okay with getting it repaired because I just didn't want to deal with the understeer the rest of the way.  Initially I thought I'd hold out until I could do an Ultra Soft stint near the end, but I realized I didn't have any new Ultra's, so I pitted a bit earlier and went with the Super Soft, which was better for my sanity anyway.

Once I got those tires on, I was finally in a great groove, setting 1:07's or 1:08's the rest of the way.  At some point during that stint, my teammate came out of the pits right behind me, and after a lap, it was clear he was a bit faster, plus had fresher tires so I let him past.  During that stint, I ended up making one mistake with a half spin at turn 1 which cost me about 5 seconds but no places.  After the final pit stops, I was down in 10th, and while I was catching cars, there wasn't enough time to make up places.

Summary

Quite a disaster.  I spent most of the race feeling bad about turn 1, not realizing that I hadn't actually impacted anyone's race at all.  10th is about all I deserved after the damaged front wings, compromised pace, compromised strategy.

That seems like a really negative recap, and I'm sure it is.  I just haven't had much consistency, or the ability to avoid mistakes this season.  Without putting in any practice time, that's not going to improve, so it is what it is.

Still, I really love this circuit (top 5 for me), and even though I complain about having to practice, and not having VR in this game, I love racing with you HUMANS each week! :)

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Summary

Felt like racing in an online lobby. I though Sucuri was the one with brake issues...

Bobino12

Premium Member
Which famous driver once said 'You cannot win a race at the start but you can lose it' ?

Drivers should wait for the race to settle before trying overtaking moves, unless there's really slow cars in front...

moogleslam

Premium Member
Bobino12 said:
Drivers should wait for the race to settle before trying overtaking moves, 

They should..... but it's never going to happen in every race.  We see drivers missing their braking points in real world Formula 1 plenty of times.  Was it Hulkenberg at Spa this year?  Grosjean at Spa a few years before that?  Vettel has gone too deep into corners and made contact a few times a year.  Lots of others.

You need to start out a season expecting that drivers will make mistakes, and you will suffer for it.  That's part of racing, no matter what level of racing you're talking about.  In sim racing, we're at a disadvantage from having a limited field of view, from not having the ability to instantly turn our head without hitting a button, from not having decent mirrors, from not having any feel for what the car is doing through our butt, some of us from not having good, or even any force feedback, and probably a whole lot more that we miss out on.  Therefore, expect even more incidents in sim racing than the real world.  We can't expect to be equal or better than the Hamilton's and Kimi's of the world when it comes to avoiding incidents.  We're humans with limited tools available to us.

Once you expect it, it's easier to accept.  Did I do that during my championship season?  Probably not, so easier said than done for sure, but I also probably didn't know what I'm preaching back then :)

And I'm sure every single one of us has outbraked ourselves going into a corner before.  Just learning opportunities.

EDIT:  Haha, the forums won't let me say B U T T S