Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Round 8 - Silverstone Circuit - Grand Prix (August 15)

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Silverstone-2019-GP.png

Time of day: Afternoon
Practice: 1:37 PM (in-game time)
Qualifying: 4:37 PM (in-game time)
Race: 4:52 PM (in-game time)
Race Length: 45 minutes
Max Incidents: 20
Max. Fuel: 50%
Start: Standing
Fast Repair: 0

Pre-Race Interview:

* It is worth noting that the graphic shown above is not the correct layout.  We will be running the NEW version of Silverstone, Grand Prix configuration.  FIXED -TRG

1- After a race filled with battles and mystery damage from a final corner landmine, we are coming to the not so bumpy Silverstone!  With this being a recent re-scan, are there any other tracks on the service you think deserve a re-scan?

2- iRacing has teased the new damage model again, and it certainly looks like something to look forward to!  What would the next big item you want them to change be?

3- A strange man walks up to you, saying he is taking bets on this race.  He smells like cabbage and looks like he works for the traveling carnival, but you are compelled to make a bet anyways.  How many cars finish on the lead lap this race, over or under 16?

DEADZERO

Premium Member
Name
Oh, from what I've heard, this layout of Silverstone is undrive-able in real life because it's far too bumpy. Apparently it hasnt been maintained like the rest if the track and thus, not included in the re-scan. When looking at the details of the new scan on the store page, this layout is not included as an option. This layout is called Historical Grand Prix on the old scan.

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID
DEADZERO said:
Oh, from what I've heard, this layout of Silverstone is undrive-able in real life because it's far too bumpy. Apparently it hasnt been maintained like the rest if the track and thus, not included in the re-scan. When looking at the details of the new scan on the store page, this layout is not included as an option.

We're using the same as iracing uses for official season.

DEADZERO

Premium Member
Name
IRacing's official schedule does include the new scan of Silverstone but that layout shown at the top is not the track they will be using

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID
The layout used on the post is likely outdated as the images have not been updated. The race will be run on the new Silverstone layout and not the 2011 version.

TheGreatC81

Premium Member
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
David Cristelli
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1- After a race filled with battles and mystery damage from a final corner landmine, we are coming to the not so bumpy Silverstone!  With this being a recent re-scan, are there any other tracks on the service you think deserve a re-scan?[/font]
Limerock! We still have the old chicane layout. The new one is so much better, with the chicane at the bottom of the hill. It creates another potential passing zone and also stops cars from jumping the crest of the hill. Zolder also needs a rescan, as iRacing has, IMO, the worst version of any sim.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2- iRacing has teased the new damage model again, and it certainly looks like something to look forward to!  What would the next big item you want them to change be?[/font]
NTMv7 is the obvious one. I'd also like to see the day/night cycle developed further. Stars and the moon in the night sky, and better lighting effects when racing in the dark. Rain would be cool too, but that can be tough to do while maintaining acceptable performance. Although, they have done a great job with optimization, IMO. I've noticed that my system has been running iRacing very well lately, even in VR with high settings. I just hope they keep up the good work.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3- A strange man walks up to you, saying he is taking bets on this race.  He smells like cabbage and looks like he works for the traveling carnival, but you are compelled to make a bet anyways.  How many cars finish on the lead lap this race, over or under 16?[/font]
I'm going to be optimistic and say over. Plenty of room on this track. Let's have a clean race!
While I'm here, I'd also like to say thanks to Jefferson (Glitterpants) Padovani for messaging me and apologizing for hitting me on lap 1 last week. Of course it was frustrating, but it was an honest mistake and doodoo happens. He protested himself for it, even after I told him it wasn't necessary. I actually did something similar in an official race earlier that same day. I was close to the guy in front of me and braked a hair too late, bumping him off the track. Luckily, he didn't hit anything, but he spun and lost a few positions while I moved up to take 4th from him. I would have given it back but at the time I thought he was out of the race. Point is, it would be pretty lame of me to rip into Jefferson for something I did just hours earlier. I won't say some of us couldn't me a bit more cautious, especially when you have the experience to know better, but mistakes will still happen. We're not pros, so how about we give each other a little more benefit of the doubt. At the same time, if you make a mistake, be a man and own it like Jefferson did. It goes a long way.  :D
*steps down off soapbox*

nickthequick

Manager
Staff member
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S2
Name
Nicholas Delp
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1- After a race filled with battles and mystery damage from a final corner landmine, we are coming to the not so bumpy Silverstone!  With this being a recent re-scan, are there any other tracks on the service you think deserve a re-scan?[/font]
I think they need to go over many tracks to be honest.  Even at Spa a lot of the curbing is not the same as it is now.  I guess I will pick that one since it is fresh in my mind.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2- iRacing has teased the new damage model again, and it certainly looks like something to look forward to!  What would the next big item you want them to change be?[/font]
I think they still need to work on the tire compounds some and have tires that are more realistic per real life.  It may not be popular but now a days the open wheel series have multiple compounds which higher deg which adds some more strategy. 

They should probably improve on the black black and let us know when we have some damage and other things.  Normally teams can view the car and inform the driver or have telemetry on if something is damaged.  I think that sometimes we can use that fact that this is a game to our advantage.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3- A strange man walks up to you, saying he is taking bets on this race.  He smells like cabbage and looks like he works for the traveling carnival, but you are compelled to make a bet anyways.  How many cars finish on the lead lap this race, over or under 16?[/font]
I am hoping over over on this one.  Silverstone is a very wide track with lots of racing and overtaking opportunities.  Hopefully we can all put on a great show!

Gunner

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
There is a very real possibility I will miss this race. Flooring is being installed over the next couple days, and I don't know what state my racing rig will be in during the process, I may have to disassemble it to move it. Game time decision.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Gunner said:
There is a very real possibility I will miss this race. Flooring is being installed over the next couple days, and I don't know what state my racing rig will be in during the process, I may have to disassemble it to move it. Game time decision.

All I have to do is finish to potentially beat you?  :eek:

DeamingPie

Premium Member
Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
1- After a race filled with battles and mystery damage from a final corner landmine, we are coming to the not so bumpy Silverstone! With this being a recent re-scan, are there any other tracks on the service you think deserve a re-scan?

Screw the re-scans, I want a proper Italian race track, Mugello!

2- iRacing has teased the new damage model again, and it certainly looks like something to look forward to! What would the next big item you want them to change be?

I would like them to teach Brazilians how to say the sound "guh"

3- A strange man walks up to you, saying he is taking bets on this race. He smells like cabbage and looks like he works for the traveling carnival, but you are compelled to make a bet anyways. How many cars finish on the lead lap this race, over or under 16?

Paul is not a strange man, we all know who he is?

Under 16

mclachlanol

Organizer
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
1. Long Beach. It's a tech track that should be made into a real track.

2. Go karts, I think they would be a lot of fun plus we have tracks and track versions that will be a good fit for them.

3. Over 16, it's a big track pls there is a lot of run off area to spin

Hootius

Director
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S2
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S2
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
1. I'd take new tracks over re-scans tbh.

2. Won't happen, but man I would love some drag racing content. 16 driver ladders that could be done in like 10 mins while letting the bantz fly... hell ya lol

3. Gonna go with under. Seems like a track where our normal fast guys will be really fast, and any mishap will cost someone a ton of time.

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
1- After a race filled with battles and mystery damage from a final corner landmine, we are coming to the not so bumpy Silverstone! With this being a recent re-scan, are there any other tracks on the service you think deserve a re-scan?

I'm with Sumner, I'd take a new track over a re-scan any day.

2- iRacing has teased the new damage model again, and it certainly looks like something to look forward to! What would the next big item you want them to change be?

I really just want karts.

3- A strange man walks up to you, saying he is taking bets on this race. He smells like cabbage and looks like he works for the traveling carnival, but you are compelled to make a bet anyways. How many cars finish on the lead lap this race, over or under 16?

It's going to be under 16 for sure. I think it's likely that more than 16 will finish the race, but I only expect maybe the top 10 to be on the lead lap.

TheGreatC81

Premium Member
Name
David Cristelli
iRacing ID
CajunGrit said:
1- After a race filled with battles and mystery damage from a final corner landmine, we are coming to the not so bumpy Silverstone!  With this being a recent re-scan, are there any other tracks on the service you think deserve a re-scan?

I'm with Sumner, I'd take a new track over a re-scan any day.

2- iRacing has teased the new damage model again, and it certainly looks like something to look forward to!  What would the next big item you want them to change be?

I really just want karts.  

3- A strange man walks up to you, saying he is taking bets on this race.  He smells like cabbage and looks like he works for the traveling carnival, but you are compelled to make a bet anyways.  How many cars finish on the lead lap this race, over or under 16?

It's going to be under 16 for sure.  I think it's likely that more than 16 will finish the race, but I only expect maybe the top 10 to be on the lead lap.

Have you played Kart Kraft? It was on sale on steam not long ago. It's in early access, so it's a little rough in some areas, but the driving physics are spot on for karts. The FFB isn't bad either. They have a pretty cool time trial setup where you set a time and it adds you to the global leaderboard. Then it adds the next faster person's ghost for the next round. You just lap until you beat it and then it resets with a new ghost and gives you your new ranking. It's a lot of fun and an afternoon can definitely disappear if you're not careful. 

I find it's also great as a warm-up for driving the F3. Once you get used to the twitchy, nervous carts, the F3 feels like it's cornering in slow motion. Slides become more predictable and catchable. Crazy what a little perspective change can do.