Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

  • 2021 Season 3 Signups are now closed !

    Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are now closed apart from the GT4 Amateur Series and the Formula Renault 3.5 Pro Series where we still have places left !
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details.

Round 7: Canada - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (14Nov18 @ 9pm EST)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Name
Aaron Webb
Joined
Feb 1, 2017
Messages
2,523
Location
USA, Arizona, Sun City
iRacing ID
330094
Canada.png

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Darklol
2nd: Tron4949
3rd: Sucuri
Pole: Darklol (01:11.074)
FL: Zephyr (01:13.034)
 

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Name
Marco Oliveira
Joined
Jan 25, 2017
Messages
539
iRacing ID
98369
Thanks for letting us know Mark !

Renault seat available for Canada !
 

moogleslam

Premium Member
Name
Joined
Feb 3, 2017
Messages
339
Location
USA
moogleslam said:
iceman153 said:
Going to miss this one, have a schedule clash.

jalmenar will be taking this seat tomorrow.

Change of plan.  Zephyr has asked to be moved to the reserve list, so jalmenar will take his seat and become a full time Toro Rosso driver.

Renault seat available again, and working on filling it.
 

jalmenar

Premium Member
GT3 Amateur Series 2021/S3
Name
Jonathan Almenar
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
49
Location
US
iRacing ID
285349
Oh well!, my debut with Toro Rosso felt very short of expectations, but I'll be back!
After qualifying 9th (My best so far) had a good start, passed the first 3 turns, then on T4 someone clipped my from behind. It was not hard, and I'm not blaming or trying to point out whoever that was (I think it was a racing accident), but the hit was strong enough to put me into the wall and call it a race :(. After the crash I might have caused another accident, so apologies to you if you were affected by my crash.
Next time!
 

moogleslam

Premium Member
Name
Joined
Feb 3, 2017
Messages
339
Location
USA
I haven't watched my video, and won't until tomorrow, but I think I turned in on someone on lap 1 turn 3. I will check my video and issue a formal apology if this is the case. Sorry in advance.

EDIT:  It's really hard to tell when watching my video through TeamViewer, but I think it was Bobino.  If so, very sorry.  Since you ended up ahead of me at the next corner, I'm hoping/thinking it didn't inconvenience you, and you didn't have any damage.  Since you put up such a good fight during that first stint, I'm suspecting you were ok.  Nice pass on me on the last lap too.

Full recap coming later.
 

Falco Bronzo

Active member
Name
Joined
Feb 21, 2017
Messages
41
Location
Canada, Quebec, Quebec City
jalmenar said:
Oh well!, my debut with Toro Rosso felt very short of expectations, but I'll be back!
After qualifying 9th (My best so far) had a good start, passed the first 3 turns, then on T4 someone clipped my from behind. It was not hard, and I'm not blaming or trying to point out whoever that was (I think it was a racing accident), but the hit was strong enough to put me into the wall and call it a race :(. After the crash I might have caused another accident, so apologies to you if you were affected by my crash.
Next time!


I have a good POV of the incident Fruitsalsa tried to give you space out of turn 4 and ran over the outside curb that made him loose the back end and cut across the track.


https://youtu.be/WgtG3uJPpcs?t=61
 

moogleslam

Premium Member
Name
Joined
Feb 3, 2017
Messages
339
Location
USA
I was a little distracted from practicing this week because I got my replacement VR headset (this one actually worked), and have been immersed in Elite Dangerous VR ever since.  Surprisingly, it hasn't really made me nauseous, but I'm not brave enough to try it with sim racing yet, and might even wait until I've resubscribed to iRacing before I do.

Finally forced myself to take that VR headset off and do some TT laps the day before the race.  As I often do, I picked a setup from the top of the global leaderboard, and for the first time ever, it actually felt perfect for me right off the bat.  Tire wear would probably have been high, but I just needed to get race ready as quick as possible.  A dozen laps and I felt really comfortable; usually it takes a lot more.

Race night and I was able to join Jonathan and the Ferrari boys right before the race for a qualy and a few race laps in my Renault.  Tire wear did seem high, and I had no idea as to ideal strats, but I just thought I'd figure it out in the race.  I've always been pretty fast at Canada, and it seemed that getting into the 1:08's in qualy would be possible with a perfect lap.

Qualifying

I decided to have a last second change of plan.  Since I really didn't know the optimal strategy, I just decided to mix it up and pick something conservative, qualifying/starting on the Ultra, then switching to Supers, and avoiding the Hyper all together.

I thought I was selecting the right tire allocation to give me lots of Ultra's to qualify on, but when I got to the garage, I only had 1 set!  Knowing I'd probably have time for 4 hot laps, I decided to start on the set of Ultra's all the same.  I managed a 1:09.9, and when I came back to the garage, I was higher up the grid than I expected, so I thought this might not be so bad.  I waited it out for a bit, getting ready to go out on Hyper's if I fell down the standings, but I settled into 6th, and stayed there for the entire session..... until Bobino jumped me right at the end of the session.  7th was still okay though, for not having qualified on the fastest tire, and I felt like a 1 stop would surely be possible in the race.  It was a bit of a boring qualifying since I only did 1 lap, but it was worth it I thought.  I was happy to see Dark and some others qualified on the same tire.

Race

I really had one of my best starts off the line that I've had all season, and passed Bobino before turn 1.  I was also very aggressive for once, whereas normally I'm holding back to avoid contact.  I was close to hitting the back of Dark in the braking zone though, and this plus a brief oversteer moment in turn 2 compromised me a little, and then I had Mudd & Bobino looking for a way past.  Turn 3 was the aforementioned contact with Bobino, which made me go wide for turn 4, and then I lost positions to both of them, and briefly nael as well until I was able to quickly take it back in the next chicane.

The next phase of my race was trying to pass Bobino.  I was right back on his gearbox before the opening lap was over, but passing him was a different story.  I had multiple attempts down the back straight, once even getting slightly ahead of him, but I was compromised for the chicane, so slowed way down so we could both get through it safely, and he retained the position.  I finally made the pass on lap 6, when I got right on his gearbox down the back straight, stayed there through the chicane, then used the start/finish line DRS zone to complete the pass into turn 1.  Not sure why, but that whole part of the race felt super intense, and I was certainly on a bit of adrenaline, that took me a while to settle down from.

I manage to picked up a corner cutting penalty soon after that, and I was pretty mad at myself, but at the same time, I was sitting on a 3 second penalty, and my race engineer had been telling me that drivers around me were already on 6 or 9 seconds.  I just had to focus on not getting any more!  At this point, I was running 2nd, with only Dark ahead, who had also started on Ultra's.  Tron was catching me though, and since we were on different strats, I didn't put up a fight when he went for a pass.  Same for Kub a few laps later.  I fully expected these guys to finish way ahead of me.

I made my only pit stop on lap 15, and in what seems like a rarity this season, I didn't have to replace my front wing for once!  I came out in 8th, and it was clear it was going to be interesting when everything came together at the end to see where everyone really stood.  By the mid-point of the race, I had picked up two more corner cut warnings so was 1 away from another time penalty.  I think this really started to impact my lap times as I started being super conservative through the corners.  Also around here is where I met Mudd's ghost car for the first time, and after a scare, passing it (driving through it) moved me up to 7th, and then 6th soon after when Bobino was pitting again.  The next two laps I took 5th and then 4th when Sucuri and Plasma pitted respectively.

This was it.  Everyone had pitted, so it was just a case of who I could hold off on my older and slower tire.  First driver to catch me was Plasma, and I could tell it was going to be really hard to hold anyone off as my tires were certainly at the end of their life.  Plasma overtook me into turn 1 on lap 29, and somewhat distracted, I immediately got another corner cutting penalty increasing my total to 6 seconds.  I felt like this might be decisive in the finishing positions, so I wasn't at all happy.  Couple of laps later, and Sucuri had me down the back straight.

4 laps to go, in 6th, and the only threat remaining was Bobino, who by now, had clearly become my rival in this race!  He caught me pretty quickly, and I had to use full ERS and mix to hold him off in the DRS zones, but come the final lap, I had used a bit too much; at risk of going into the negative on fuel, and ERS at 10%.  I really should have managed that better, because I had nothing left down the back straight on that last lap, and he got me to demote me to 7th.

As we crossed the line though, I saw that Bobino and I had both been promoted past Sucuri and his 15 seconds worth of penalties, so it was 6th for me after all.  Plus, Bobino only had a penalty of 3 seconds, compared to 6 for me, so even if I kept him behind me, he was getting that position.  Great race, Bobino.

Summary

Congrats on another win, Dark, and to Tron and kub for podiums.

Not sure I've said this all season, but I'm actually happy with this race.  Really no mistakes of significance.  No spins, no broken front wings, etc.  Plus I went into it with no idea of what to do with my strat, but I think I played it perfectly.  I can't imagine trying a 1 stop with the Hyper, because even with the Ultra, I think I was pushing the limits of wear.  Maybe HS-US-HS was viable, and it would have been interesting to test, but no regrets.  Only thing that could have been better was avoiding the two corner cutting penalties, but since every single driver on the grid had some, and most had an equal amount or more than me, no complaints.  I do wish I'd practiced to see what was possible, but exploring space in VR is pretty cool too :)

All those in the Sates, enjoy your thanksgiving!   See you in two weeks, but I'll be back with some video of this race before then.
 

jalmenar

Premium Member
GT3 Amateur Series 2021/S3
Name
Jonathan Almenar
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
49
Location
US
iRacing ID
285349
Falco Bronzo said:
jalmenar said:
Oh well!, my debut with Toro Rosso felt very short of expectations, but I'll be back!
After qualifying 9th (My best so far) had a good start, passed the first 3 turns, then on T4 someone clipped my from behind. It was not hard, and I'm not blaming or trying to point out whoever that was (I think it was a racing accident), but the hit was strong enough to put me into the wall and call it a race :(. After the crash I might have caused another accident, so apologies to you if you were affected by my crash.
Next time!


I have a good POV of the incident Fruitsalsa tried to give you space out of turn 4 and ran over the outside curb that made him loose the back end and cut across the track.


https://youtu.be/WgtG3uJPpcs?t=61

I see, you got a good view here, thanks for sharing.

I see fruitsalsa moved over my side a little bit. It was not hard, but made me hit the wall :cry: from there i just tried to stay away from the racing line.

fruitsalsa probably didnt see me there because i was a bit slower than him and on his blind spot. Anyways, I'm happy a qualified better than expected, so I'll try again next race.
 

Bobino12

Premium Member
Name
Joined
Feb 11, 2017
Messages
142
Location
Canada, Quebec, Quebec city,
moogleslam said:
I haven't watched my video, and won't until tomorrow, but I think I turned in on someone on lap 1 turn 3. I will check my video and issue a formal apology if this is the case. Sorry in advance.

EDIT:  It's really hard to tell when watching my video through TeamViewer, but I think it was Bobino.  If so, very sorry.  Since you ended up ahead of me at the next corner, I'm hoping/thinking it didn't inconvenience you, and you didn't have any damage.  Since you put up such a good fight during that first stint, I'm suspecting you were ok.  Nice pass on me on the last lap too.

Full recap coming later.

Don't worry Moogleslam, I had no damages but I was affraid for you because you found yourself on the grass and could have hit the wall…! We were side by side into that chicane and I tried to leave you as much space as I could. You lost momemtum at the exit of turn 2 so that's why i was able to catch you there. On lap 4 you tried to pass me before the Wall of Champions but I kept the center line and tried to leave you enough space but this chicane is very narrow and none of us could pass there side by side safely. On lap 6, you took your revenge with a very nice pass  I never saw coming. I was quite impressed… Nice clean pass. 

I took my only penalty at the end of lap 34 and I wasn't sure if you got a penalty too and that's why i tried eveything to get you and I managed my battery and fuel for that moment. That was a real fun racing with you because i know you won't try any crazy moves that some other try and put everyone in danger. Some drivers should watch your videos and take notes on the art of driving.   
 

moogleslam

Premium Member
Name
Joined
Feb 3, 2017
Messages
339
Location
USA
Bobino12 said:
Don't worry Moogleslam, I had no damages but I was affraid for you because you found yourself on the grass and could have hit the wall…! We were side by side into that chicane and I tried to leave you as much space as I could. You lost momemtum at the exit of turn 2 so that's why i was able to catch you there. On lap 4 you tried to pass me before the Wall of Champions but I kept the center line and tried to leave you enough space but this chicane is very narrow and none of us could pass there side by side safely. On lap 6, you took your revenge with a very nice pass  I never saw coming. I was quite impressed… Nice clean pass. 

I took my only penalty at the end of lap 34 and I wasn't sure if you got a penalty too and that's why i tried eveything to get you and I managed my battery and fuel for that moment. That was a real fun racing with you because i know you won't try any crazy moves that some other try and put everyone in danger. Some drivers should watch your videos and take notes on the art of driving.   


In watching my video again when I got home, I realized I certainly could have and should have done better at turn 3.  The arrow indicators were clearly red (which I'm sure means there's overlap with another car), so I absolutely should have left more space.  I'm still probably a bit rusty from having been away for so long, but 7 races in, I do feel like everything is starting to feel like second nature again.  Glad we both survived it anyway.  

I also noticed that I locked up in turn 1, and actually did make minor contact with the back of Dark's car.

So while you saying "Some drivers should watch your videos and take notes on the art of driving" was awesome and super nice, I think I should have done better in this race at least!  I'll try to get video up over the weekend so you can see what I mean.  I would like to think I'm a clean driver though, but of course, when I made this league for F1 2011, that was probably not the case.  I had a lot to learn, as I had zero sim racing experience.  Plus then a couple of seasons after that, I was so desperate to win a Championship, that I wasn't willing to concede anything :).  These days, I'm more chill, and am just as happy to battle for 6th as I am for 1st, and keeping it clean is always goal #1.  Having been the Chief Steward for many years helped as well.  But of course, with a lot of experience, it's easy to keep it clean, and still know how to position your car etc, after what, maybe 1000+ league races that I've done in various sims and disciplines.  Any new and inexperienced driver is probably just me from 7-8 years ago :) 
 

Fruitsalsa

Well-known member
Name
Joined
May 7, 2017
Messages
91
Location
Canada
jalmenar said:
Falco Bronzo said:
jalmenar said:
Oh well!, my debut with Toro Rosso felt very short of expectations, but I'll be back!
After qualifying 9th (My best so far) had a good start, passed the first 3 turns, then on T4 someone clipped my from behind. It was not hard, and I'm not blaming or trying to point out whoever that was (I think it was a racing accident), but the hit was strong enough to put me into the wall and call it a race :(. After the crash I might have caused another accident, so apologies to you if you were affected by my crash.
Next time!


I have a good POV of the incident Fruitsalsa tried to give you space out of turn 4 and ran over the outside curb that made him loose the back end and cut across the track.


https://youtu.be/WgtG3uJPpcs?t=61

I see, you got a good view here, thanks for sharing.

I see fruitsalsa moved over my side a little bit. It was not hard, but made me hit the wall :cry: from there i just tried to stay away from the racing line.

fruitsalsa probably didnt see me there because i was a bit slower than him and on his blind spot. Anyways, I'm happy a qualified better than expected, so I'll try again next race.

So sorry that I endend your race short Jonathan... I just read the forum and noticed that from Falco's video that I cut you. As Falco said, I lost the back end of my car for a fraction of a second, so I slipped to the left a bit. I went and rewatched my footage and from my perspective, I did not even realize that I hit someone! Unfortunately you were in my blind spot (even the little arrow wasn't clear red). Also, my slide to the left is not as pronounced on my screen as in Falco's footage.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for the hit. Hopefully we'll battle more cleanly in the upcoming races!
 

jalmenar

Premium Member
GT3 Amateur Series 2021/S3
Name
Jonathan Almenar
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
49
Location
US
iRacing ID
285349
Fruitsalsa said:
jalmenar said:
Falco Bronzo said:
I have a good POV of the incident Fruitsalsa tried to give you space out of turn 4 and ran over the outside curb that made him loose the back end and cut across the track.


https://youtu.be/WgtG3uJPpcs?t=61

I see, you got a good view here, thanks for sharing.

I see fruitsalsa moved over my side a little bit. It was not hard, but made me hit the wall :cry: from there i just tried to stay away from the racing line.

fruitsalsa probably didnt see me there because i was a bit slower than him and on his blind spot. Anyways, I'm happy a qualified better than expected, so I'll try again next race.

So sorry that I endend your race short Jonathan... I just read the forum and noticed that from Falco's video that I cut you. As Falco said, I lost the back end of my car for a fraction of a second, so I slipped to the left a bit. I went and rewatched my footage and from my perspective, I did not even realize that I hit someone! Unfortunately you were in my blind spot (even the little arrow wasn't clear red). Also, my slide to the left is not as pronounced on my screen as in Falco's footage.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for the hit. Hopefully we'll battle more cleanly in the upcoming races!

No prob fruitsalsa, and I figured I was on your blind spot. Until next race!
 

moogleslam

Premium Member
Name
Joined
Feb 3, 2017
Messages
339
Location
USA
Better late than never, here's my opening lap from the Canadian GP!  This race, particularly the battle with Bobino, probably deserved a full highlights video, but no time for that unfortunately.

[youtube]limftxtKBfA[/youtube]
 
Top