Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 7: Autodromo Enzo e Dina Ferrari - GP (31 Jul)

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Imola_GP.png
 ​
This race has been sponsored by Apex Button Box! (Richie Pittenger)

Apex_Button_Box.png
 ​
 ​
https://youtu.be/kRw2plQKKls​
 ​
 ​
Time of day: Late Afternoon
Max. incidents: 30
Race length: 45 minutes
Max. fuel: 50%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0

Pre-race interview
1. We are back on iRacing schedule! What is your thoughts on Imola?
2. What do you think about the tire model of the GTE car?
3. Who is your favorite race driver and why?

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Sadly I will be out of town for work tomorrow and will miss bringing up the rear of the pack at my absolute favourite track. Have fun guys.

Slinky13

Love Imola. Very tricky track but really a fun challenge.
Seems ok. Still suffers a bit from the general cold is fast theme but not as much as some other tires in the sim.
Sebastian Vettel. I'm half German and began following motorsports by watching F1. Being a fan of his was therefore a pretty natural choice.

DeamingPie

Organizer
Full Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
I will be hosting another session for us old folk that eat dinner at 4PM and go to bed after wheel of fortune (7PM - 9PM).

Same rules apply, if you are faster than me I have to boot you from the session. It's the only way I can win something and I don't mind saying I won practice. :)

Sassy_McSassypants

Premium Member
Full Name
Pete Mobroten
iRacing ID
Glad to be back on the schedule. One of the big draws for joining this season was the convenience of following the IMSA schedule and being able to use the previous week as prep. That's a huge plus for those of us with limited practice time.

This is my first week trying Imola in iracing. It is *VERY* pretty in iRacing. I'm stoked!

It has four of them... right?

McRae, for clearly obvious reasons. :)

Slinky13

I'd like to apologize to everyone who was affected by the first lap incidents I've been involved in in the past two races. I don't believe either of them were fully my fault but there were things I could have done to try and avoid them. I hate seeing other people behind affected by the racing between me and another driver, especially on the first lap.

A

Anonymous

I've done 5 races with this league so far. In 3 of them, I've had a lap 1 accident. This time I didn't even get to the green flag before one lane came to an almost complete stop, causing a concertina effect that lead to me getting hit from the rear. Then I get to the first corner and find two cars pushing their way back onto the circuit and causing further contact. 

This is beyond ridiculous, some changes are required from the organisers or you're going to start losing more drivers.

acaro

Premium Member
Slinky13 said:
I'd like to apologize to everyone who was affected by the first lap incidents I've been involved in in the past two races. I don't believe either of them were fully my fault but there were things I could have done to try and avoid them. I hate seeing other people behind affected by the racing between me and another driver, especially on the first lap.

Sorry Alexander, I might have been a bit too harsh on my defense, but I backed out to give you enough room. Netcode apparently had other plans.

I am sorry to the guys that were caught on that.

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Rapido said:
I've done 5 races with this league so far. In 3 of them, I've had a lap 1 accident. This time I didn't even get to the green flag before one lane came to an almost complete stop, causing a concertina effect that lead to me getting hit from the rear. Then I get to the first corner and find two cars pushing their way back onto the circuit and causing further contact. 

This is beyond ridiculous, some changes are required from the organisers or you're going to start losing more drivers.

This is my personal thought on both video you shared. Feel free to send it to steward if you think it deserves review.

First video, You were far back of the car in front of you. You brake and lock your wheel which has surprised the car behind I guess and contact happened.

Second video, first contact was minor and you did good to avoid it as much as possible. Second contact, you start re-accelerating after first contact, but car in front (Garreton I think) wasn't in control of his car because of the contact. Second contact could have been avoidable I think if you had lifted up a bit. And trust me, if there is a driver who control his car perfectly, it's Garreton. So if he didn't managed to keep it on track, it's because it was impossible to do so.

As I said, this is my personal thought.

The incident between Pinto and Klenk, as you can see, it's clearly a netcode issue. It's nothing we can avoid unfortunately. You are asking us to make some changes. What kind of change do you think we can do to avoid netcode issue? Nothing. I hope you understand that we can't control netcode. It's an online game and we have to live with the consequences of it. You think we will start to lose drivers? I don't think so, we have drivers here that are racing for more than 3 seasons and I'm pretty sure they are still having a lot of fun. This series is improving season after season and we always make changes that please the majority of the members. I think we are near this community and have a good communication with it. We are asking the community through pre-race interview or poll about changes that we think would be profitable for the series.

A

Anonymous

Jerome - appreciate your thoughts, I think you have valid points, although the field was accelerating out of the final corner and then checking up - ours was the last contact of a series of errors. Contact with Garreton was entirely avoidable, and I have no quarrel with that - he lost control under acceleration and I was too close to react, but my car was already damaged. I am giving my honest feedback from what I've seen of the league so far, I'll PM you with some more thoughts. It does seem as though the rolling starts may be responsible for a lot of the avoidable contact on the first lap.

JustinHall164

Here is a view of the start from my perspective, my apologies for the poor editing.
https://youtu.be/6fjApwC_YZ0
I was pretty agressive to accelerate and catch up to the rest of the field before the green flag and for that I apologize. Although i’m not sure hanging back more would have been fair to the rest of the field behind me. Obviously this start cost me dearly.

acaro

Premium Member
Rapido said:
Jerome - appreciate your thoughts, I think you have valid points, although the field was accelerating out of the final corner and then checking up - ours was the last contact of a series of errors. Contact with Garreton was entirely avoidable, and I have no quarrel with that - he lost control under acceleration and I was too close to react, but my car was already damaged. I am giving my honest feedback from what I've seen of the league so far, I'll PM you with some more thoughts. It does seem as though the rolling starts may be responsible for a lot of the avoidable contact on the first lap.

Tom, I don't think the rolling starts are the cause, what happened there was just people not keeping up enough to the car in front and then trying to recover all the distance at the last moment.

This is not a matter of changing to standing starts, that from my perspective are even more dangerous for lap 1 contacts. Rolling starts helps everyone to find their positions before turn 1. The issue here is that people were being a bit too aggressive, because front cars kept their speed until the start.

Issues are bound to happen every race, even IRL. I'm new at this league, its my first season too, and I didn't have any incident another car that I felt was a terrible mistake on one of the drivers.

Phyrexius

Premium Member
The other problem that I'm noticing is that basically no one is listening to the rule of wait to accelerate until the green flag comes out. I noticed the front of the field started accelerating slightly then checked up slightly before realizing it's too late and we had to go. Seems like I'm the only one who's been following this rule  :?

To Gary, I'd like to apologize for the contact I had with you while trying to overtake you. You slowed up on the apex a bit more than I was anticipating and unfortunately couldn't stay off the back of you. 

Sassy_McSassypants

Premium Member
Full Name
Pete Mobroten
iRacing ID
1. Can we do something about the massive check-ups?

2. The idea of full course yellow or restarts after ridiculous first laps was brought up after Watkins. Has any further consideration been given to this?

Gary Schilling

Organizer
Full Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
Phyrexius said:
To Gary, I'd like to apologize for the contact I had with you while trying to overtake you. You slowed up on the apex a bit more than I was anticipating and unfortunately couldn't stay off the back of you. 

I wanted to get out of your way as soon as possible as I keep hearing that I don't yield to lapping drivers soon enough.
Tried to hug the curb as much as I could and did not save a replay. I assume I was in the apex when we made contact so I would not say it was your fault. That race was one of my worst efforts to date.  No worries Ben.

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Standing start, we have tried it in the first GTE season and it was terrible with this car. They are starting very slowing and its not enjoyable at all.

Incidents during formation lap and before green light will be reviewed by stewards.

Safety car? If we throw a safety, we remove minimum10 minutes of racing. I may however open a poll about it. Also, with a safety car, it means you get another rolling start what if its the same?

Thanks for your input guys!