Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 6: Daytona International Speedway - Road Course (Jan 18)

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Daytona International Speedway - Road Course.png

Sponsor this circuit for only $6.95 USD

[circuit_7][/circuit_7]​

Race Length: 50 Minutes
Start Type: Standing Start
Fuel Amount: 22%
Weather: Dynamic Weather
Time of Day: Morning

Pre-Race Interview
1 - What are your thoughts on roval track? What is your favorite roval circuit?
2 - Are you doing the 24h of Daytone next weekend? If yes, what car are you going to race?
3 - Are you racing in the IMSA series on iRacing? Are you racing in other series?

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Pre-Race Interview[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 - What are your thoughts on roval track? What is your favorite roval circuit?[/font]

I find roval tracks difficult due to the challenge of finding a good setup for them.  Do you go more downforce and try and thrash the infield section, or low and breeze along the oval? At least this is a popular one so there are setups out there to use as a baseline. I can't say I have a favorite, although this one is simple enough at least haha. 

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2 - Are you doing the 24h of Daytone next weekend? If yes, what car are you going to race?[/font]

Yes! I have never done an endurance race before, so should be exciting. I am on the Mercedes GT3 team, so have been learning to wrestle it around the track. (anyone interested in joining us? We could use another team member or 2)

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3 - Are you racing in the IMSA series on iRacing? Are you racing in other series?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Right now I'm not doing any official series, I just lack the time to practice for them. I may pick the odd race up in the pro mazda if it's a track I like. [/font]

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
1 - What are your thoughts on roval track? What is your favorite roval circuit?
I don't mind rovals, they are challenging in different ways than normal road courses. Daytona is good enough for me. I had fun at Miami.

2 - Are you doing the 24h of Daytone next weekend? If yes, what car are you going to race?
I am running the 24h, representing Team PRL GT3 in the Mercedes.

3 - Are you racing in the IMSA series on iRacing? Are you racing in other series?
No IMSA for me, I don't really have time for it all. When I first started iRacing I would jump all over the place, running as many different cars/tracks as I could. But the results were terrible. Once I started to focus on one series, I had a lot more fun and raced much cleaner with better results.

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
Boys sorry to say I wont be bringing up the rear this week or next. For this week with the 24hr coming up I have to preserve the wheel as it is not sounding good. I think I may be over stressing the motor with the bearing going out. And next week I will be in Daytona for the 24 so that one is a no no for me also. You boys have some good clean racing and I will be back for round 8 at Suzuka (if the wheel doesn't break). 

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
Sucks cuz that is such a fun track! 

On a separate note we were discussing building a rig out of aluminum extrusion after the last race. Here are pictures of my rig for reference of one way to work with 80/20.

Attachments

• 20180111_222409.jpg
    20180111_222409.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180111_222419.jpg
    20180111_222419.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180111_222426.jpg
    20180111_222426.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 85

Fuzzwah

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1 - What are your thoughts on roval track? What is your favorite roval circuit?[/font]
I don't mind rovals, they're not my favorite tracks but I've had since great races at New Hampshire in the skippy a lot few seasons back. 

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2 - Are you doing the 24h of Daytone next weekend? If yes, what car are you going to race?[/font]
Not this year. My team is entering two cars though, so I'm excited to follow along with them. 

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3 - Are you racing in the IMSA series on iRacing? Are you racing in other series?[/font]
I'm only racing in the official pro mazda series, really focusing on learning as much as I can about driving this car fast. 

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Rig looks nice Paul! Do you find that you have enough rigidity in just the angle brackets?
We should move this into a different thread to discuss rigs/wheels/gear. I love the tech side of sim racing...

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Ugh, lap 1 was awful! I nearly lost it in T1 and had to try and regain my focus after that(my cockpit helped heh). Ari, no worries. I didn't have the confidence to break as late in that corner as you, Owen or Michael. Looks like I just caught you off guard breaking that early. I was very lucky and had very little damage.

Overall really fun race. I nearly ran out of fuel due to my gearing, and some silly fast guys actually made a mistake, no lack of excitement!

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
TRG said:
Rig looks nice Paul! Do you find that you have enough rigidity in just the angle brackets?
We should move this into a different thread to discuss rigs/wheels/gear. I love the tech side of sim racing...

Thank you! Dany could you create a topic about hardware and software so we can continue this discussion?

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Nice one Dany! I didn't realize how close you were. Too bad the overlay came up so quick, the finish for 2,3,4 was tight!