Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Round 5: Spain - Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (24Oct18 @ 9pm EDT)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Darklol
2nd: Tron4949
3rd: Sucuri
Pole: Darklol (01:18.476)
FL: Darklol (01:21.027)

moogleslam

Premium Member
Ah break week. Sad times :p

I'll start this off with a question, even though I know some of you want to keep your top secret setups to yourself :)

Has anyone found a setup that is not giving them massive throttle oversteer on the exit of turn 7? I feel like I have to wait for ever before getting back on the throttle, and I don't remember this in the older F1 201x games where I thought I could go full throttle through there after slowing for the entry of turn 7. Now I have to fully let the car settle, straighten up, and ready for turn 8 before giving it much throttle.

I started trying to dial it out, with wings, ballast, and differential, but then it was killing me in other parts of the circuit, particularly turns 1, 2, & 8, so I just gave up and decided I had to deal with it. I'd say maybe I do, but then I seem to be losing time to others in this section, so I feel like there's an answer.

Plasmaraider

moogleslam said:
Ah break week.  Sad times :p

I'll start this off with a question, even though I know some of you want to keep your top secret setups to yourself :)

Has anyone found a setup that is not giving them massive throttle oversteer on the exit of turn 7?  I feel like I have to wait for ever before getting back on the throttle, and I don't remember this in the older F1 201x games where I thought I could go full throttle through there after slowing for the entry of turn 7.  Now I have to fully let the car settle, straighten up, and ready for turn 8 before giving it much throttle.

I started trying to dial it out, with wings, ballast, and differential, but then it was killing me in other parts of the circuit, particularly turns 1, 2, & 8, so I just gave up and decided I had to deal with it.  I'd say maybe I do, but then I seem to be losing time to others in this section, so I feel like there's an answer.

Change how you drive, i typically am running around half throttle, and take about half the curb, you dont want to be near the inside edge because it lifts the car up off the ground and unsettles it. Being a little conservative through there on this game seems to be the better choice even in TT runs for me

moogleslam

Premium Member
Yeah, that's where I'm at, but like I say, I'm racing a ghost and the other car is faster than me there. Maybe just a compromise though. I'll try and refine my approach.

Plasmaraider

Its a situation similar to turn 3, cant really set up the car based around the corner its just based on how you take it, it might help to raise the ride height, maybe youre bottoming out. That or you can soften up the springs or raise the on throttle differential for that corner each time you go through up, since it wont effect your tire wear a ton being youre only doing it for 1-2 corners

moogleslam

Premium Member
As always, if anyone is going to miss this race, please post here ASAP so I can organize Reserves to fill in. Thanks!

Bobino12

Premium Member
First, you should make sure everyone is reading this forum. Maybe you could ask the drivers before tomorrow's race in the lobby to do so because i think a majority do not think about it.

moogleslam

Premium Member
Bobino12 said:
First, you should make sure everyone is reading this forum. Maybe you could ask the drivers before tomorrow's race in the lobby to do so because i think a majority do not think about it.

I did mention this a few races ago, but will remind everyone again tonight.

Plasmaraider

My view of the race, probably the worst race ive had all season involving incidents and just general driving. Lucky to escape with a 6th place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhquKjHD0Dk&feature=youtu.be

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Plasma, how big is your file when you upload it ? Its still processing lol. Just wondering because mines are like around 20-25gbs with Geforce Experience.

Sucuri

Darklol said:
Plasma, how big is your file when you upload it ? Its still processing lol. Just wondering because mines are like around 20-25gbs with Geforce Experience.

How the heck do you store all of that? Do you keep all your videos?

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
I do keep all my vids, I have a huge NAS drive with 24TB :)

Also Congrats on your first win of the season ! Well deserved ! 

moogleslam

Premium Member
Fairly sure racing here is not good for my mental health because each race is such a wave of emotions :)

I think #1 on my wish list is to have Equal cars be available for single player.  I did one single lap in my Renault over the last two weeks, which was about 7 minutes before we were due to get in the lobby, and even if the only difference is engine sounds (which I don't think is the only difference), it's still significant and a difficult adjustment.

Qualifying

While I had tested various strategies throughout the week, I had ignored qualifying until about an hour before the race, but managed to get to a 1:17.4, and I knew there was a lot more time on the table.  I told iceman I was going to cry if Dark got into the 1:15's but that's really what I was expecting.  

Mid way through the session, Dark was sitting on a provisional pole of 1:17.5, and I realized poll was within reach if I could get everything together.  Unfortunately, I hadn't up to that point.  I had huge stutter, this time when I started recording, so that messed up my first lap.  I stopped recording, and my second lap was conservative so I could get a time on the board.  My third lap started well, really well.  Someone had just set a 1:17.2, but then I managed to go purple in sector 1, and was up 6 tenths mid way through the lap!  Unfortunately, I blew it, and cut a corner on the right hander before the straight with the second DRS zone.  My banker lap only got me 7th on the grid.  I was mad at myself, but also really shocked at my pace here.

Race

Before I get started, I'll mention that I did record lap 1, for my LAP1Series, and will get that uploaded sometime, but stopped recording early in the race since it was giving me stutter again.  This means I don't have video to refer to and a lot of this is from memory, and maybe not entirely accurate.

Since I have yet to have a clean race this season, my goal is just to have a clean first lap.  I had a good start and held my position.  Turns 1, 2, 3, 4 were all clean.  Approaching turn 5 though, I got hit really hard from behind, I think by Zephyr, and this propelled me into the back of Megaman, and it damaged my front wing.  Not again.  

Though the chaos at the corner put me up to 6th, I could not sustain it because of the wing damage, and I was bleeding time and places.  

Then came news that rain was on its way, and soon after that, a safety car.  I thought this was my chance to make up some of the ground I had already lost, so I pitted to repair my wing, and to get a second set of Super Softs.  I thought this would last me until I needed to switch to Inters.  A lot of others switched to fresh Super Softs as well, but I was still down in 12th by the time the safety car was ready to go in and we could get back to racing.

At that point, I had some serious pace.  I felt like the fastest guy on track, and had SO many fun battles that I wish I had on video.  I was moving up the field at an incredible rate, and I think I might have gotten as high as 5th(?), in what felt like only a few laps.

But I was waiting on the rain, and it never came.  Well, it was raining, but ever so slightly, and my engineer kept telling me the I was on the right compound, and it did feel like that was true.  I still had so much confidence in the grip.  Unfortunately, that dry compound didn't last as long as I wanted it to, and as my tire wear was approaching 80%, it was clear it wasn't worth staying out any longer.  I was losing time, and it didn't seem like we were close to Inters.  I didn't want to make the same mistake again, so I decided to switch to the Soft compound this time.  Unfortunately, I spun after entering the pit lane, got sideways, and broke my front wing off.  Thankfully, my car wasn't destroyed, but once I got going again, I had to spend extra time in the pits to have it replaced for the second time in as many pit stops.

I feel like this only dropped me to 8th or so, which didn't seem so bad, and once again, I had some serious pace.  I was always catching someone, and in most cases, making a quick pass.  I caught Megaman at a very quick rate as well, but it was time for my next mistake (seriously, it had been like 10 minutes since my last mistake which is way too long!).  I was right on his tail through turn 11, and whether it was me pushing too hard, dirty air, or a combination of both, I don't know, but I lost the back end, spun into the gravel, and ended up facing the wrong way.  This obviously lost me so much time, and probably a place or two.

Back to work though.  Again, great pace, and catching and passing drivers.  I kept moving up the field.  I think I passed Plasma at one point, and it took me a little bit of time to pull away from him.  I finally did, but then I had a huge issue with a backmarker (a Red Bull I think) who was way off track between turn 10 and 11, then came back on right in front of me, almost caused an accident, and then inexplicably held me up for ages, which let Plasma catch right back up, and he so nearly made a pass down into turn 1, but I defended just right to hold onto the position.

As the race progressed, the weather never seemed to intensify, and my engineer kept telling me I was on the right compound.  Unfortunately, I'd had these Soft tires on for far too many laps and the wear was getting undrivable.  With maybe a half dozen laps to go, and already up to 4th, I decided I needed to just avoid any mistakes and finish.  I had been catching Mudd ahead, but the gap was too big to be worth taking the risk of pushing any longer.  Behind was Tron, and thankfully, the gap was big enough so that I could take it easy, and still hold onto the position.  Another mistake would have ruined my night entirely.  I cruised to the end, and did indeed finish in 4th (unlike, you know, Baku where I crashed at the last corner on the last lap and destroyed my car!)

Summary

What a race.  As I said (and as I've probably always said this season), so many highs and lows, and so many emotions.  Yeah, I finished 4th, which is a season best, but I'm far from satisfied with that.  As usual, so many mistakes, but here, some bad decisions as well.   I had some serious pace, and I don't really know why.  I don't even like this circuit that much.  Except for a couple of guys at the back, I feel like I either overtook or battled every driver on the circuit, except for Sucuri, who I don't think I saw at all.  There was a path to a Podium here, and maybe more, which is something I never thought I'd say all season long, but I definitely blew it.  Here's what needed to happen:
[ul]
[li]Not get hit from behind on lap 1 where I damaged my front wing[/li]
[li]Switch to Mediums under the Safety Car[/li]
[li]Not crash and destroy my wing entering the pit lane[/li]
[li]Not spin when chasing Megaman[/li]
[li]Not have an issue with a backmarker[/li]
[/ul]

Break week and then Monaco, my favorite circuit ever, but this will maybe be the first Monaco since Season 1 that I'm obviously not expecting to win (I have never won it; don't ask), so all I'm looking for is a clean race.

Plasmaraider

Sucuri said:
Darklol said:

How the heck do you store all of that? Do you keep all your videos?

I think the upload just messed up since its still processing. Typically it processes in 10ish minutes or less. Reuploading now, and to answer your question my videos are about 1.5gb each

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Plasma: Thanks for talking to me after the race about T1 ! I really do love how Codemasters have an amazing net code, its becoming really ridiculous and that is since 2010...

Falco Bronzo

Race Edit

So good start

Good strategy under SC (Got P3!!)

OK pace to stay in top 10

Then crash in Zephyr.... (British GP Season 12 over again) 
https://youtu.be/Szg23Y__ZoQ?list=PLeiCO1Qn8hGyTEfG8q22NmJUG4PdY1a6u&t=702

Then weird Yellow Flag/Green Flag illegal overtake glitch on N
https://youtu.be/Szg23Y__ZoQ?list=PLeiCO1Qn8hGyTEfG8q22NmJUG4PdY1a6u&t=1198

Then not enough balls to overtake N (good defending though N)

Full race recap with fast foward
https://youtu.be/Szg23Y__ZoQ?list=PLeiCO1Qn8hGyTEfG8q22NmJUG4PdY1a6u

Fruitsalsa

moogleslam said:
and as my tire wear was approaching 80%, it was clear it wasn't worth staying out any longer.  

I finally did, but then I had a huge issue with a backmarker (a Red Bull I think) who was way off track between turn 10 and 11, then came back on right in front of me, almost caused an accident, and then inexplicably held me up for ages, which let Plasma catch right back up, and he so nearly made a pass down into turn 1, but I defended just right to hold onto the position.
80% !?1 Is everybody here using their tire up until that point? Personally, it starts to feel a bit too slippery for me at 60%-ish. But maybe I am doing something wrong and should use the tire a bit more...

Regarding the backmarker thing, that was me. I was late braking on purpose on turn 10 to take it wide and let people pass on blue flag condition. I was letting someone (Darklol maybe?) pass and was going back on track, but then I noticed a Force India and a Renault (you and Muddh I believe) a bit further that was not too far behind, but not right behind Dark. So I was undecided whether go back right behind Dark to do T11 and T12 before letting you guys pass. I decided to rejoin the track, but tire/rain made it quick slippery to do so and I rejoined late, hence cutting you. Then afterward, since I was on the inside line for T11-T12, I had nowhere to go until the next corner. TL;DR: I messed up sorry... I'll be sharper next time!

moogleslam

Premium Member
Fruitsalsa said:
moogleslam said:
and as my tire wear was approaching 80%, it was clear it wasn't worth staying out any longer.  

I finally did, but then I had a huge issue with a backmarker (a Red Bull I think) who was way off track between turn 10 and 11, then came back on right in front of me, almost caused an accident, and then inexplicably held me up for ages, which let Plasma catch right back up, and he so nearly made a pass down into turn 1, but I defended just right to hold onto the position.
80% !?1 Is everybody here using their tire up until that point? Personally, it starts to feel a bit too slippery for me at 60%-ish. But maybe I am doing something wrong and should use the tire a bit more...

Regarding the backmarker thing, that was me. I was late braking on purpose on turn 10 to take it wide and let people pass on blue flag condition. I was letting someone (Darklol maybe?) pass and was going back on track, but then I noticed a Force India and a Renault (you and Muddh I believe) a bit further that was not too far behind, but not right behind Dark. So I was undecided whether go back right behind Dark to do T11 and T12 before letting you guys pass. I decided to rejoin the track, but tire/rain made it quick slippery to do so and I rejoined late, hence cutting you. Then afterward, since I was on the inside line for T11-T12, I had nowhere to go until the next corner. TL;DR: I messed up sorry... I'll be sharper next time!

No, I've never had tires that worn before.  60%-ish is usually my limit too, but in this case, I was just hoping I could run the tire until I needed Inters.  In hindsight, I should have pitted earlier, though in hindsight, I should never have been on that Super Soft at all, and should have been on the Medium.

No worries about the backmarker thing.  If you realize, it's all good.

moogleslam

Premium Member
Plasmaraider said:
My view of the race, probably the worst race ive had all season involving incidents and just general driving. Lucky to escape with a 6th place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhquKjHD0Dk&feature=youtu.be

I didn't realize you spun at turn 1 after you almost had the pass on me.  I just noticed at some point the gap was big again.  Glad it was clean.