Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 5: Gateway Motorsports Park - Oval (Jan 11)

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
GT4 Amateur Series 2021/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Gateway Motorsports Park - Oval.png

Sponsor this circuit for only $6.95 USD

[circuit_7][/circuit_7]​

Race Length: 50 Minutes
Start Type: Rolling Start
Fuel Amount: 22%
Weather: Dynamic Weather
Time of Day: Night

Pre-Race Interview
1. How was your holiday break? Have you race during the last 2 weeks?
2. First oval race of the season. What are your expectations for this race?
3. Which car will you get if you win $50 000!?

TRG

Director
Staff member
F3 Amateur Series 2021/S3
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
It is definitely a typo. The race will be 50 minutes.

Awesome, this car is a lot of fun around an oval track.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. How was your holiday break? Have you race during the last 2 weeks? It was a nice break.. from work! I have been doing some testing and practice in the PM, but also in some endurance races I plan to participate in.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2. First oval race of the season. What are your expectations for this race? Lofty as always. This will be a difficult track with the banking the way it is. I anticipate some cautions. Trick will be to make good use of them.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3. Which car will you get if you win $50 000!? Very tough question. Truthfully, 50K doesn't go very far on the types of cars I like. I like old stuff, and while a musclecar would be cool, you see too many of them on the street. I think I would go with something like a 70s era air cooled 911T, or a classic Ferrari 288GTO that needed some work. Doubt I would get much for 50k but it sure is fun to dream.[/font]

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
GT4 Amateur Series 2021/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Please note that starting this race, we will be using a new TS Server. More information following the link below:

http://precisionracingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=1101

Gunner

Organizer
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Pre-Race Interview
1. How was your holiday break? Have you race during the last 2 weeks?

Holidays were good, nice to have some time away from work. Unfortunately being fat and lazy doesn't pay the bills, so back to work with me! I haven't done much racing other than some practice, testing and setup building. Learning to drive a GT3 car is certainly a lot different from a little open wheel car!

2. First oval race of the season. What are your expectations for this race?

Cautiously optimistic? I have had a bad time so far this season so looking to turn it around a bit. Ovals aren't really my strength, but it will be close racing so anything can happen. Setup may play a large role on this track, so hoping to get that right.

3. Which car will you get if you win $50 000!?

Tough question! I could dump it into my current mustang, make it less slow! But if I were to live in a fantasy world I would buy a 1969 Boss 429 mustang. Old and crappy, and fix it up. I would love to spend my retirement doing something like that....why does it have to be 30 years away still???

paulwildridge

Premium Member
FR3.5 Pro Series 2021/S3
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
1. My holiday break was good. A lot of house work done after moving. Did due much racing as I got a new seat for my rig I was installing and was just taking my time.
2. For the race I am not sure I will get to do it. I was practicing Saturday night prepping for the roar and my wheel starting getting clunky intermittently. So now it is in pieces in my basement and I am still diagnosing. I have a chance to borrow a wheel or throw my old Momo logitech wheel on (wonderful force feedback with that thing lol). If this all works out I think this should be a good race for me if I stay clean and don't repeat Bristol from last season where I believe I brought out the most cautions. Biggest thing for tighter ovals in the car is to ensure not to overtemp the right rear. 
3. A used Aston Martin DB9. Been looking at them a while back as that is right around the price you can get a decent one for. 

paulwildridge

Premium Member
FR3.5 Pro Series 2021/S3
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
Found the issue in my t300rs. The rear bearing exploded. I attempted to repair it due to not being able to get a bearing soon. Should hold for this week. Heads up to anyone with a thrustmaster and feeling a clicking clunking feel as this could be the issue. 

Attachments

• 20180108_180537.jpg
    20180108_180537.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180108_180601.jpg
    20180108_180601.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180108_180625.jpg
    20180108_180625.jpg
    918.7 KB · Views: 88

Gunner

Organizer
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Wow, I can't belive it actually blew a bearing out like that! Motor must be pretty skookum!

paulwildridge

Premium Member
FR3.5 Pro Series 2021/S3
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
I was shocked. Hoping it holds out for a little bit because the boss just gave me the ok for a new wheel. Looking at an osw or accuforce. Not sure which yet.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
I run a simucube based OSW w small Mige servo and an Ascher Racing button plate w/ magnetic shifters... Do it, you won't regret it. The new firmware has improved the feel immensely. Let me know if you have questions.

paulwildridge

Premium Member
FR3.5 Pro Series 2021/S3
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
That is what seems to be the wheel of choice to be honest. Chris Hacker has one as well and says it is better than the Accuforce feel wise. My question is how much better than the Accuforce is the OSW as I can buy the plug and play Accuforce for cheaper because I wont have to buy a wheel, button box, paddle shifters or anything else like that?

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Can't say for sure as I have never used an AF.

For me, the DIY aspect is what drew me to the OSW.

paulwildridge

Premium Member
FR3.5 Pro Series 2021/S3
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
Tyler,

I like the DIY stuff but with electronics it kinda scares me. But in the end of the day I want the wheel to be the best for the money I spend. I am sure both are pretty good though.

Rob,

I will be on in the group practice tonight, as I am sure others will too. I don't have a setup yet but will share whatever I do have. Really for these ovals if you just stay clean and in contact with the pack you will have a good finish and probably a shot at a podium. Everyone is real clean on the ovals in this group which make driving ovals easier as you can trust running next to someone.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
This track will be interesting. I can run a pretty fast lap solo, but to do so I'm using all of the track... Putting two cars side by side without much banking will be very interesting!!

I will try and join tonight and can share a decent setup.

mclachlanol

Organizer
FR3.5 Pro Series 2021/S3
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
I'm still using the logitech driving force but I want to upgrade eventually. I like the idea of the DIY wheel, how much work is it to put together?

This is the set I have so far but I have only had a few laps of practice. It seems like a fun track to drive and the car is pretty stable around there.
Can't make it to practice tonight though (Anniversary dinner!).

Attachments

• Gateway Oval.sto
    2.2 KB · Views: 2

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Its not a ton of work - how mechanically / electronically inclined are you? On the plus side, there is a ton of help on the iracing forum as well as the Granite Devices forum. Biggest factor is what you're going to mount it to. I'm running one of the smaller motors at ~1/2 the power it can put out. That said, you don't get into this game for the torque, you do it for the fidelity. It feels vastly different than a logitech.

Hasn't made me faster (obviously)!