Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Round 4: Sebring International Raceway - International (22 Jan)

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Sebring International Raceway - International.png

Time of Day: Late Afternoon
Race Length: 45 min
Max Incidents: 24
Max. Fuel: 50%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0

athacker

Name
*PRE-RACE COMMUNITY QUESTIONS*

1). Welcome back post-Daytona 24 weekend! Did your team survive? 
2). On a scale from tired to 'I'm still asleep,' how tired are you after Daytona?
3). No rest for the racing weary - Sebring tomorrow night! DEBATE: what's the "right" way to take the final corner?

deadguy79

Name
Yes, 7th DP in 4th split.
2). On a scale from tired to 'I'm still asleep,' how tired are you after Daytona?
It hasn't caught up to me yet.
3). No rest for the racing weary - Sebring tomorrow night! DEBATE: what's the "right" way to take the final corner?
Fast, no crashing.

Kirru

Premium Member
Name
Cory
iRacing ID
Nope..
2). On a scale from tired to 'I'm still asleep,' how tired are you after Daytona?
I'm still sleepy from the weekend even though I didn't race. lol
Precise and no bumping at a decent speed.

C_Valenzuela

Name

Yes, P12 .. this race is always a big adventure

Burned out

With fingers crossed .. :p

L_Almonacid

Premium Member
GT3 Sprint Series 2022/S2
Name
Lucio A. Vargas
iRacing ID
I will not be in this race because I work tonight, I'll be back in daytona

Hotwir3

Name
Tyler DeZubay
iRacing ID
I made a silly-ish pump-up video for my social media: https://streamable.com/lttea

(Yes, I know it's actually round 4, I don't feel like fixing it)

A

Anonymous

Initial post says that time of day is "Late Afternoon", but it was completely dark by qualifying and the race starting at 10:20pm local time (bearing no resemblance to any realistic time zone anywhere). If you're setting up sessions to start in the evening then you must be aware that they will transition to night by the start of the race.

Regardless, I struggle to see the logic in setting up the race to be run in darkness, when the iRacing IMSA series has not run here at all this season, and the 12hr has yet to take place in any dark conditions. Speaking from a personal perspective, I work long hours in the week and I can't join practice right as the session starts - generally speaking I have about 30 minutes before qualifying to get in the car and get acclimated to the session. As I have a fair amount of experience on most of the tracks and in the car, this is not much of a hindrance. However, joining a session in darkness, at a track that has never been run that way in any official iRacing session, means I am automatically at a disadvantage to the rest of the field, this is why I retired so early (at the back of the field, after two spins because I simply couldn't see the edge of the track).

This may sound like sour grapes due to my own disappointment in my performance (and it is), but it also speaks to the organisation of the league that such a situation was in place to begin with. I hope that this will be adjusted going forward.

SharkV

Manager
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
Rapido said:
Initial post says that time of day is "Late Afternoon", but it was completely dark by qualifying and the race starting at 10:20pm local time (bearing no resemblance to any realistic time zone anywhere). If you're setting up sessions to start in the evening then you must be aware that they will transition to night by the start of the race.

Regardless, I struggle to see the logic in setting up the race to be run in darkness, when the iRacing IMSA series has not run here at all this season, and the 12hr has yet to take place in any dark conditions. Speaking from a personal perspective, I work long hours in the week and I can't join practice right as the session starts - generally speaking I have about 30 minutes before qualifying to get in the car and get acclimated to the session. As I have a fair amount of experience on most of the tracks and in the car, this is not much of a hindrance. However, joining a session in darkness, at a track that has never been run that way in any official iRacing session, means I am automatically at a disadvantage to the rest of the field, this is why I retired so early (at the back of the field, after two spins because I simply couldn't see the edge of the track).

This may sound like sour grapes due to my own disappointment in my performance (and it is), but it also speaks to the organisation of the league that such a situation was in place to begin with. I hope that this will be adjusted going forward.

http://precisionracingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=2421#p36130

Kirru

Premium Member
Name
Cory
iRacing ID
First I'd like to apologize for that poor performance coming off of a good one from last week. I had been practicing this track during the late afternoon and never expected us to be racing in complete darkness. This threw off everything for me and was unprepared and unaccustomed to the situation. I was expecting us to back out and a new session to start to remedy the darkness.  I'd also have to agree with Tom that appropriate time should be taken into consideration when creating races in regard to time.

@Takeshi - sorry if you got caught behind that braking on turn 1, lap 2. I was at my normal braking spot and had to slow up before going in the turn otherwise it could have been a bigger problem.

@F. Montini - it looks like net-code, at least from the recording I have, may have caused that contact between us on lap 2. I did not think I was that close to you when you spun and took it for what it was on my point of view. I was also trying to avoid Mike as he was slowing down, thinking he was taking a wide line. I apologize for it.  

@Mike G - dude, i apologize for coming across the front of you like that. I lost you in my mirrors and was thrown off by the incident with F. Montini.  Last I had check you were slowing down and I thought it was safe to move across. Crew Chief also didn't alert me to your presence while most of the time I can't get it to shut up.

A

Anonymous

Dany - that forum topic in no way addresses the fact that the race was run at night.

athacker

Name
*COMPLETE PRE-RACE ANNOUCEMENTS*

Hello from virtual Sebring International Raceway everyone! This is Aaron your American Tuesday Series Organizer and I hope you’re as happy to hear me as I am to see you on track. If not, that’s OK. Tonight’s race marks the halfway point in S15 which is only 8 rounds. Carl Modoff has a 29 point lead over Federico Montini in the championship and SDS Racing Team leads the Team Championship over Rimotech Ether Sim Sport by 22 points.

As always some quick notes. I want to say THANK YOU to everyone last round for running the correct car numbers. No issues which means no penalties. Isn’t that nice? Also last week, PRL Management released an amendment to the regulations stating clear guidance on start procedure. If you hold the pole position, per iRacing Race Starts and Restarts Code, the Leader must maintain pace car speed (+/- 5 mph / +/- 8kph). Failure to do will result in a penalty ruling by the Stewards. This is a safety measure for the rest of the field and not means to handicap the pole sitter. Sound good? Sound fair? Great! I knew you would agree with me. viewtopic.php?f=165&t=2564

Ok. That’s all for now. Any questions or comments before Qualifying?

A full transcript of these announcements have been translated to Spanish and posted in Discord and post-race inside the forum.

--------------

¡Hola a todos desde el circuito internacional de Sebring! Soy Aaron, el organizador de la serie de los martes, y espero que esté tan feliz de escucharme como yo lo estoy viéndolos en pista. Si no, está bien. La carrera de esta noche marca la mitad de la temporada 15, que es solo 8 semanas. Carl Modoff tiene una ventaja de 29 puntos sobre Federico Montini en el campeonato y SDS Racing Team lidera el Campeonato de Equipos sobre Rimotech Ether Sim Sport por 22 puntos.

Como siempre algunas notas rápidas. Quiero darles las GRACIAS a todos en la última ronda por los números de auto correctos. Sin problemas lo que significa que no hay sanciones. ¿No es eso agradable? También la semana pasada, la Administración de PRL publicó una enmienda a las reglas que establece una guía clara sobre el procedimiento de partida de carrera. El piloto que tenga la pole, según el código de inicio y reinicio de la carrera iRacing, deberá mantener la velocidad del coche (+/- 5 mph / +/- 8kph). El no hacerlo resultará en una penalización por parte de los Comisarios. Esta es una medida de seguridad para el resto de la grilla y de ninguna manera un obstáculo para quien tenga la pole. ¿Suena bien? Suena justo? ¡Genial! Sabía que estarían de acuerdo conmigo.

De acuerdo. Eso es todo por ahora. ¿Alguna pregunta o comentario antes de la clasificación?

Una transcripción completa de estos anuncios ha sido traducida al español y publicada en Discord y post-race dentro del foro.

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
LMP2/GT3 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Tom, it's like this since the start of the season... When we start the session afternoon, we race late afternoon, if we start the session morning, we race afternoon and so on... This is the new weather transition of iRacing. Unless we don't use dynamic weather, we are forced to use it. We will update the rules stating that time of day in the schedule is start of the session.

SharkV

Manager
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID
Don’t forget that the session starts late afternoon around 19:00, but we have 3hrs of practice. So the race starts around 22:00.

Kirru

Premium Member
Name
Cory
iRacing ID
SharkV said:
Don’t forget that the session starts late afternoon around 19:00, but we have 3hrs of practice. So the race starts around 22:00.

Taking that into consideration- 
starting practice earlier would get us closer to the scheduled "time-of-day" racing time. 

For Late Afternoon 
Start Morning and practice goes through to Afternoon and starts into Late Afternoon and by the race start, we are in the beginning stages of Late Afternoon.

Of course, if we start using the new GUI to set up sessions then there is, I believe, greater control of session times.

Luckily for the rest of the season it is all Afternoon races which aren't as a big of a deal as starting in Late Afternoon and ending up in a night time race.

Carsten Quint

Premium Member
Name
Carsten Quint
iRacing ID
Yea we definately should start the sessions earlier then so the race start is reflected on the schedule. Withbthe rapidly changing conditions do we really need to start the sessions so early? Conditions dor racestart will be very different anyways.

C_Valenzuela

Name
Hard race for me, not enough time for practice. Lots of troubles in Qualy session, just able to put a lap in the last minute.

For the race, worst start ever. Lost some places at the start and then a big slow down trying to avoid a big wreck. Lost more places. My pace wasn't the best too.
Then, i tried to focus and start to gain some places back.

Last lap was a thrill, sorry for Jerome that put a wheel on the grass, and making a move on Rodrigo in the last turn. Nice finish.

Congrats to the winner! and the podium.
See you at Daytona.