Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 4: Austria - Red Bull Ring (04May17 @ 9pm EDT)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member

Pre-Race Interview:
1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria.  How you do like this track?
2) The cars are equal for online, however they do slightly have different characteristics.  How do you like the car you have chosen for this season?
3)  For real-life F1, If you could select a F1 driver to get a chance to race at a top team, who would it be (who is not already at one)?

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Just a reminder to everyone I will be missing this round. Hootius will be hosting the session this week. If you don't have him on your friends list now, I'd recommend sending him one. Good luck this week and I'll be watching!

Hootius

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria.  How you do like this track?
This track is when I first joined the league last season. I was even worse than I am now, and on the controller!!! With that said though, the little mini practice I had this morning had me really enjoying the track, now that I am on a wheel and running manual. I have already improved my TT speed by 3 seconds (which still isn't fast by any means lol), so I am looking forward to Thursday night and not being a moving road cone like I was here last season.

2) The cars are equal for online, however they do slightly have different characteristics.  How do you like the car you have chosen for this season?
I am no where near good enough to answer this question. Last season in the Manor was my learning time, and now with the Williams I feel the improvements have more to do with myself as a driver, and not so much any difference between the 2 cars. I will say however, having the better looking livery does make me feel faster this time around lol :)

3)  For real-life F1, If you could select a F1 driver to get a chance to race at a top team, who would it be (who is not already at one)?
Stroll, only because of the sh*t storm that would come every race, when he would still find a way to crash out every race in a top tier car lol

porq_chopz

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria.  How you do like this track?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I actually really enjoy this track. I'm not going to be breaking any lap records or anything but it's a fun quick track.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2) The cars are equal for online, however they do slightly have different characteristics.  How do you like the car you have chosen for this season?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm ok with my selection as I came in late. However, I think (haven't tested it) but I don't know that the pit crew is equal as I am consistently getting pit stops lasting more than 2 seconds where as in the mercedes/ferrari in online with equal they are turning out sub 2 second stops.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3)  For real-life F1, If you could select a F1 driver to get a chance to race at a top team, who would it be (who is not already at one)?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'd have to select Kevin Magnussen. I think he's a pretty decent driver and will become the Haas #1 driver if they can get their shit together this season. I've kinda been a fan of his for awhile and when he went to Haas I was pretty excited for my dark horse team to pick up one of my favorite dark horse drivers.[/font]

Dubzzy__

1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria. How you do like this track?
I am pretty quick around here and will be looking for pole this time around :)

2) The cars are equal for online, however they do slightly have different characteristics. How do you like the car you have chosen for this season?
jacko asked who i wanted and i decided merc as overall it felt the best for me and as a no assist user it had a really good rear end compared to some of the ferrari powered cars, i think jacko does prefer the ferraris over the mercs as he likes a bit more of a loose end while i like a good turn in plus a stable rear. the williams and manor car also feels really good to me ps haas is the worst car from my experience the only good thing about it is good change of direction.

3) For real-life F1, If you could select a F1 driver to get a chance to race at a top team, who would it be (who is not already at one)? Fernando alonso, i mean hes still racing as if he won those 2 drivers championships and its sad to see a champion be blown out by such a terrible car and i hope he gets to be in a good car before his time is up although at the same time he is the one that left ferrari and im sure he is regretting that now. i would also like to see wherline in a good team the kids really pacey and promising

Coopersonic

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria. How you do like this track?[/font]
I never really have been very fond of this track. Turns 5 and 6 have always been really difficult for me to be consistent around and I've never been in the fight here. Regardless, I'll still try my best.

2) The cars are equal for online, however they do slightly have different characteristics.  How do you like the car you have chosen for this season?
I actually didn't know the cars acted differently under multiplayer. If they do, I'm glad I chose the works Renault. It usually doesn't take long for me to feel the rhythm of the circuit with the Renault chassis, which I'm very thankful for. Any other car at all and possibly I'd be scratching my head as to why it doesn't act this way or that way. It's definitely a car that's capable of a win, no doubt.

3)  For real-life F1, If you could select a F1 driver to get a chance to race at a top team, who would it be (who is not already at one)?
I really wish a few of those top guys would take a look at Carlos Sainz. He's a very well rounded driver that keeps his head down and although he hasn't had amazing results in the past, I feel he's got potential in the sport with a quicker car.

Coopersonic

This isn't a response to the interview questions but I thought I'd get this off my chest. There are quick guys in this league and a few teams who are built for success. I really hate that I'm not bagging podiums and results like I used to but I guess it takes luck, patience, and consistency. I really hope that I can step up my game and get that pace back that I miss so badly that was awarding me podiums and a pole position a few seasons back. I'm better now than I've ever been and I'm ready to battle with the fast guys.

El_Majacko

Premium Member
1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria. How you do like this track?
I don't think it deserves a spot on the calendar. Maybe the old layout, but this circuit is the most boring piece of tarmac in the entire season. So in short, really dislike it, least favourite track by far.
2) The cars are equal for online, however they do slightly have different characteristics. How do you like the car you have chosen for this season?
I have long thought this to be the most disgusting feature of the Codemasters F1 series. Aside from the difference is pit stop length and the increased chance of engine performance drop as you go down the pit lane, the actual handling is vastly different between cars. As Dubzzy said above, I prefer the balance of the Ferrari engined cars. Now that I'm in a Mercedes I have far more oversteer going. I don't know what part of the word "equal" Codies can't understand, but this is the sort of issue that could be turning people away from league racing and should be eliminated.
3) For real-life F1, If you could select a F1 driver to get a chance to race at a top team, who would it be (who is not already at one)?
Great question, there are many deserving drivers from a former champion in Alonso, to underrated drivers like Sainz. As a Vandoorne fan since his Formula Renault days, I'd like to see him in a championship winning car, but for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, someone pick up Hulkenberg.

Brianmosser88

since im sponsoring this race I thought I would be nice and throw a gift in that the 3 podium finishers will get a $10 psn card. this is to show support to you guys and the league.

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Brianmosser88 said:
since im sponsoring this race I thought I would be nice and throw a gift in that the 3 podium finishers will get a $10 psn card. this is to show support to you guys and the league.

Wow!! Thanks a lot Brian!!!

nickthequick

Manager
Staff member
1) We now move to the Red Bull Ring in Austria.  How you do like this track?
I have always enjoyed this track and normally I have had some good pace here in the past.  Last year's race I got disconnected, so hopefully that will not happen this time!

So far I am liking the Red Bull and think it was better than the McLaren I had last season.  For me the Renault feels a little heavy but really stable.  I think the Mercs are fairly balanced, but the Ferrari's to me feel like you lose the rear end very easily.  Maybe we are all crazy and they are equal because it looks like others have some different options.  I don't use assists either but I use a wheel so who knows :D

I think Nico Hulkenburg and Carlos Sainz are my top 2 picks.  Nico has always been fast and Carlos really battled Max equally and if not for more DNFs may of had more points in the first season.

El_Majacko

Premium Member
Q: 9th
Had some sort of glitch where my setup was randomised to some crappy setting with 73% brake pressure. This meant I couldn't brake as late as usual and cost me a good half second and several positions.

R: 3rd
Started on worn ultras from 9th. Cooper was lagging on the formation lap, but lost connection before the start. I moved up to 7th early but saw a wipe out of klio and Dahy promoting me to 5th. I did a standard 2 stop which meant I only really battled with gordow. The guys up front were too far gone for me to catch but Alonso picked up a puncture late giving me the final podium position. mebbe pulled a great strategy to win, good job mate!

Also re: the $10 PSN cards. Aaron wanted to give me one as a prize last season but we found the Australian and American PS stores do not allow codes to go between them. If its too difficult, I might suggest Brian buy a sponsorship for one of the unsponsored races instead (including us being able to choose the circuit).

Dubzzy__

El_Majacko said:
Q: 9th
Had some sort of glitch where my setup was randomised to some crappy setting with 73% brake pressure. This meant I couldn't brake as late as usual and cost me a good half second and several positions.

R: 3rd
Started on worn ultras from 9th. Cooper was lagging on the formation lap, but lost connection before the start. I moved up to 7th early but saw a wipe out of klio and Dubzzy promoting me to 5th. I did a standard 2 stop which meant I only really battled with gordow. The guys up front were too far gone for me to catch but Alonso picked up a puncture late giving me the final podium position. mebbe pulled a great strategy to win, good job mate!

Also re: the $10 PSN cards. Aaron wanted to give me one as a prize last season but we found the Australian and American PS stores do not allow codes to go between them. If its too difficult, I might suggest Brian buy a sponsorship for one of the unsponsored races instead (including us being able to choose the circuit).

i  think you mean dahy 

Q:1st 
Surprised to get pole as my lap felt really average tried to set a lap at the end but screwed it up my brakes around here were just not working, not slowing down fast enough going into the corners yet i was still locking my tyres

r:2nd had a good battle with mystic again this week but id say role reversal this time where he was the one with  the pace on me this race compared to last week, not by much though if he didnt puncture i think overall the gap was 4 seconds over 36 laps. other than the 1st few laps not much to say really, i stayed out a bit longer on my supers as i noticed mystic pitted way to early and hence the puncture at the end. Also sorry to porq chops, i have no idea what happened to you when i was overtaking you on the outside of that corner? and how your car reacted the way it did  and a minor incident with kwp i thought you were letting me through and didnt realise you were trying to unlap yourself at turn 3 . Overall still happy with my championship position now that dahy had some tough luck, good win meebe  you made those tyres last well 

porq_chopz

Q: 14
After putting in a few laps not exactly getting the times I wanted, I settled for 14th. Didn't feel too bad about it as I'm usually starting near the back anyway. I felt good about being able to work my way up into the points at least throughout the race.
R: DNF
Well, this race was going super well. Got a pretty decent start after the first few corners was sitting right behind Ditch Witch and it would be that way for quite a few laps. Once the leaders ended up pitting I made my way up to 3rd for awhile thanks to being able to start out on the soft tires. Had the broadcast playing in the background so I was able to hear about Forza and Dubzzy working their way up and each time I checked behind me they were gaining a ton of ground. On lap 11 they had caught me and I messed up turn 3 so I didn't put up a fight because those guys were just so much faster than I was. Figured I would just hold my line and continue on and it was looking good to finish way up in the points. Then all of a sudden immediately after Dubzzy passed me there was lag (not positive whose connection was to blame as my screen it was him but in the broadcast it looked like I lagged during Forza passing me) that caused his car to stop on my screen for a brief second causing me to run into the rear of him in turn 6 causing my car to go off course and slap the wall. I was hard on the brakes, trying to correct the car but I was just moving to quick. Slapping the wall ended my race. I was beyond upset as this is one track I'm fairly decent at and was running really well and feeling even more confident. Well, on to Silverstone I suppose. Also, congrats to mebbe on his first victory and only doing a 1 stop here.

[youtube]ksBai6SzfyQ[/youtube]

Hootius

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Q: 16th

R: 13th

I knew I only had 10th place speed at best, so I wanted to start in the back to try to improve my chances of avoiding first turn shenanigans... though KWP did make me pucker severely in Turn 1 lol I don't know how I messed up the race settings in practice, but I did not see the tyre wear in my practice race that I saw in the real race. On top of that, the game would not let me start on Softs like I wanted to, so that was my first clue of the night. I ended up having to make 3 pit stops (SS,S,SS,US), and then tried to sneak in the pits for a fresh set of Ultras for that final 5 lap sprint when the VSC was out. Unfortunately, the VSC went away right as I entered the pits and it cost me 2-3 positions and took away any chance of a point. Dumb move by me, and just an overall disappointing race by me. I was just too slow in Sectors 2 and 3. Though I did have a small consolation prize... the first time I have ever seen a purple sector that wasn't on Lap 2. Have to enjoy the little victories I guess :)

AJccentric

Q: 10

Nothing exciting happened tbh. Was having problems on the final corner but that was about it.

R: 7

Had a very cautious and slow first turn, which kept me in the second group. Had great battles with Brian and Basedchief throughout the first two stints. Crossed the line with my front right tire at 78%, so was definitely clenching the last couple laps. Congrats to mebbe and will see you guys in Britain next week. (Praying for no rain) :p

Sassafrass_3

Apologies for my early exit after quali guys. The game hung up and I wasn't sure what to do . That would have been my first experience online with F1 so all the procedures, etc were new to me. I realize now that I could rejoined the party? Is that correct? I was severely off the pace anyway and clearly have some work to do.

porq_chopz

Sassafrass_3 said:
Apologies for my early exit after quali guys. The game hung up and I wasn't sure what to do . That would have been my first experience online with F1 so all the procedures, etc were new to me. I realize now that I could rejoined the party? Is that correct? I was severely off the pace anyway and clearly have some work to do.

It goes through that process every time. Some times longer than others. It's safest to just wait it out