Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Round 3: Watkins Glen International - Boot (April 05)

Laughlin

Organizer
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
Nick McLaughlin
iRacing ID
WatkinsGlenBoot.png
Race Time of day: 2022-04-02 12:00 1x
Race Length: 45 minutes
Max Incidents: Drive through at 13x, DSQ at 17x
LMP2 Max Fuel: 85%
GT3 Max Fuel: 50%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0

teddywoods72

Premium Member
LMP2/GT3 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Ted Loewendick
iRacing ID
HosTed session is scheduled to launch, Monday @ 7PM ET.
Length: 5 Hours.
Starting State: 50% Usage
Static Conditions.

La sesión está programada para iniciarse el lunes a las 7 p.m. ET.
Duración: 5 horas.
Estado inicial de la pista: 50% de uso
Condiciones estáticas.
unknown.png

rrusso

Premium Member
Name
Rafael Russo
iRacing ID
Sorry Arnaud and organizers for using chat during race, I should be penalized for that

About incident with Paulo, I didn't change my line, and iracing sports code looks very clear to me

At that same lap 4 gt3 got killed including p1 (me) and p4

7.4.2. In all cases, it is the responsibility of the faster car to safely overtake the slower car. It is the responsibility of the slower car to maintain a consistent line. It is strongly recommended that a slower car being lapped makes every reasonable effort to facilitate a safe pass.

Congrats Carlo for the victory and let's see how challenge Long Beach will be

Last edited:

Paulowsky21

Premium Member
Name
Paulo Munoz
iRacing ID
Sorry Arnaud and organizers for using chat during race, I should be penalized for that

About incident with Paulo, I didn't change my line, and iracing sports code looks very clear to me

7.4.2. In all cases, it is the responsibility of the faster car to safely overtake the slower car. It is the responsibility of the slower car to maintain a consistent line. It is strongly recommended that a slower car being lapped makes every reasonable effort to facilitate a safe pass.

Congrats Carlo for the victory and let's see how challenge Long Beach will be
Rafa, with all due respect, that is a very poor interpretation of the rule. You are not entitled to use the whole track. Multiclass is all about helping other cars pass you, and you did the exact opposite. You need to pick a line, which is not necessarily the same one you would use when on your own.

In that scenario, what do you expect me to do? You give me literally zero options. Honestly, I can´t understand how that move is fine on SCO but you consider it unsafe.

Good day.

madness

Premium Member
Name
Marc-Andre Desjardins
iRacing ID
JR Williams excuse me, my car was damaged, I did not want to block you.

rrusso

Premium Member
Name
Rafael Russo
iRacing ID
Rafa, with all due respect, that is a very poor interpretation of the rule. You are not entitled to use the whole track. Multiclass is all about helping other cars pass you, and you did the exact opposite. You need to pick a line, which is not necessarily the same one you would use when on your own.

In that scenario, what do you expect me to do? You give me literally zero options. Honestly, I can´t understand how that move is fine on SCO but you consider it unsafe.

Good day.
This is a good discussion...and If we did in a high level we could achieve a lot for the next races

My understanding is that at some corners faster cars should reduce....there are places that u will loose time, others I will...but that was a straight full throttle corner...I won't reduce there, considering that u got close in the middle of there...and I even tried to go left but u went too fast...there where 4 gt3 less than 1s behind...race is readable...and in my opinion u make a mistake forcing an overtake to avoid loose time...as simple as that

Should that be considered an race incident? Don't know, for me broke the iracing sports code, but it's all about interpretation and I think most important is find a way to reduce incidents, where everyone understands that is a multiclass race and all - at some point - will loose time

CalquiN

Name
Horacio Calquin
iRacing ID
Second consecutive race that to respect a prudent distance with the car in front in the first lap, to offer a good show, I receive from behind a bomb from those who don't care about anything. These types of actions will force those of us who do respect the show to take a different attitude. I hope that the organization takes action on the matter or this will end badly.

Paulowsky21

Premium Member
Name
Paulo Munoz
iRacing ID
The way to reduce incidents is to be predictable and collaborate between classes. You can easily stay way left on the GT3 now through there, which was what I was expecting and didn't happen. I do agree that sometimes some P2 drivers are overly aggressive and end up costing time to two cars.

rrusso

Premium Member
Name
Rafael Russo
iRacing ID
The way to reduce incidents is to be predictable and collaborate between classes. You can easily stay way left on the GT3 now through there, which was what I was expecting and didn't happen. I do agree that sometimes some P2 drivers are overly aggressive and end up costing time to two cars.
I was going left just look my wheel...but as GT3 are full throttle there...the car slides to the right at the end

Should I reduce speed in the front or should the lmp2 behind reduce a little bit....wait just a little bit? That's a good discussion, as I said before

shiftdnb

Premium Member
GT3 Sprint Series 2022/S2
Name
Christopher Rines
iRacing ID

teddywoods72

Premium Member
Name
Ted Loewendick
iRacing ID
I was going left just look my wheel...but as GT3 are full throttle there...the car slides to the right at the end

Should I reduce speed in the front or should the lmp2 behind reduce a little bit....wait just a little bit? That's a good discussion, as I said before
From my angle, I saw Paulo look inside on the left hander of the esses. You took the normal racing line (which naturally blocks the inside line), which signals Paulo to do one of two things: lift or choose to go outside, Paulo chose to go outside. Once he chose to go outside you should have stayed to the left (put a little more wheel input into it than normal). However, and I’m assuming here, you were thinking Paulo would stay on the left on the exit of the esses, so you took the normal racing line which takes you back to the right of the track. Since he was on your right, you guys were going for the same space and made contact.

I will say, as GT3 drivers, we must always be aware of the lines we are taking when the faster class is coming through. I find myself checking the mirror instead of looking in front of me 😂

I know you’re a competent driver, and your pace is really solid (we’ve raced each other for many seasons with great respect). My apologies if this post seems like I’m attacking you, it is not intended to be that way. Just giving my perspective on the event.

rrusso

Premium Member
Name
Rafael Russo
iRacing ID
From my angle, I saw Paulo look inside on the left hander of the esses. You took the normal racing line (which naturally blocks the inside line), which signals Paulo to do one of two things: lift or choose to go outside, Paulo chose to go outside. Once he chose to go outside you should have stayed to the left (put a little more wheel input into it than normal). However, and I’m assuming here, you were thinking Paulo would stay on the left on the exit of the esses, so you took the normal racing line which takes you back to the right of the track. Since he was on your right, you guys were going for the same space and made contact.

I will say, as GT3 drivers, we must always be aware of the lines we are taking when the faster class is coming through. I find myself checking the mirror instead of looking in front of me 😂

I know you’re a competent driver, and your pace is really solid (we’ve raced each other for many seasons with great respect). My apologies if this post seems like I’m attacking you, it is not intended to be that way. Just giving my perspective on the event.
Hey Ted....u're super fast with that Audi on straights.

Not at all, it's all perspective, like I said if u look replay u will see that I was going left, but why should I reduce speed to go more left instead of lmp2 wait a little bit? The corner was 100% mine, in my opinion, and even so I tried to go left to avoid contact, but since lmp2s doesn't want to loose time, if we, as GT3, didn't make the safe move, incidents will happen. In a general way looks like the safe move comes most of the times from gt3, not the faster cars, and that's not what the sports code says... So why we all change a little bit our mindset to avoid incidents like that?

BTW congrats for ur race and championship, ur on fire on gt3s

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Second consecutive race that to respect a prudent distance with the car in front in the first lap, to offer a good show, I receive from behind a bomb from those who don't care about anything. These types of actions will force those of us who do respect the show to take a different attitude. I hope that the organization takes action on the matter or this will end badly.
Please report to the stewards if necessary

cvila

Name
Carlos Vila
iRacing ID

Not at all, it's all perspective, like I said if u look replay u will see that I was going left, but why should I reduce speed to go more left instead of lmp2 wait a little bit? The corner was 100% mine, in my opinion, and even so I tried to go left to avoid contact, but since lmp2s doesn't want to loose time, if we, as GT3, didn't make the safe move, incidents will happen. In a general way looks like the safe move comes most of the times from gt3, not the faster cars, and that's not what the sports code says... So why we all change a little bit our mindset to avoid incidents like that?

There's no need to reduce speed to give space in a GT3 there. As someone who drives both GT3 and Prototypes alike, you can easily take the essess 2 wide in either car. I had to do that many times in this race alone. From Paolo's perspective, he not only chose to go right after you move to the left, he also lifted and already lost time. So he did everything right in order to make the safe pass. I also think, reading the rules to the literal definion, is only going to cause issues because it would basically read like is been said, i can take the whole track and people have to find a way around me. So about changing our mindsets, the corner may have been 100% yours (which Paolo gave up by lifting) but that doesn't give you the exit of the corner, that still needs to be shared.

marvinater

Premium Member
Name
Marius Valiokas
iRacing ID

I would have to say that Paulo did nothing wrong into the that corner, I'm sure if you watch the replay back on just this race, that same move happened safely with neither car loosing time multiple times.

That move can work with both cars not lifting, as long as the gt3 turns slightly more left and runs further to the left of the track instead of running all the way out to the right side. Yeah I guess you would scrub some speed, but I think it would be borderline not measurable, especially since you would get a touch of draft down the straight. Paulo made that move as safe possible in the conditions he was given.

Now is it worth a penalty, eh not sure. No one else was affected but you so it was a self inflected penalty but that isn't for me to decided.

rrusso

Premium Member
Name
Rafael Russo
iRacing ID
There's no need to reduce speed to give space in a GT3 there. As someone who drives both GT3 and Prototypes alike, you can easily take the essess 2 wide in either car. I had to do that many times in this race alone. From Paolo's perspective, he not only chose to go right after you move to the left, he also lifted and already lost time. So he did everything right in order to make the safe pass. I also think, reading the rules to the literal definion, is only going to cause issues because it would basically read like is been said, i can take the whole track and people have to find a way around me. So about changing our mindsets, the corner may have been 100% yours (which Paolo gave up by lifting) but that doesn't give you the exit of the corner, that still needs to be shared.
If Paulo went straight right before try to go left inside, he would easily (like u said) overtaked me before i slide to the right...but Paulo thinks i would open the inside left corner for them, wich i didnt (i dont need to)

And like i said before, when i saw Paulo going right i try to go left, but the car slides a lot, also porsche is very tricky in that corner with brutal moves...so i try to go left...i was going left but he went too fast and hitted me

So u say that i dont give space...so thinking in your logic...if i didnt gave space, why force the overtake where theres still no room avaiable?

Again, the discussion is pretty relevant...remember that 4 GT3's died in that lap, wich was the first lap of lmp2 "wave"

So is that normal? 4 GT3 got killed, and that's ok? Should we reviewed that full lap and see if we all can do better, thinking in the next races? I believe we should