Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Round 3: Phoenix Raceway - Oval (Jan 14)

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
LMP2/GT3 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Phoenix.png

Race Time of day: 2021-01-16 09:30 1x
Race Length: 120 laps (55 minutes)
Max Incidents: Drive through at 11x, DSQ at 20x
Max Fuel: 65%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0
Restart Type: Single-file Back
Automatic Full Course Yellows: Enabled
Wave Arounds: Enabled
Enable "Lucky Dog" Rule: Disabled

Last edited:

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
Quick fuel rule question. It looks like Phoenix would take somewhere around 15.5 gallons of fuel for the race (wishfully assuming a completely clean race). Does the 65% rule only apply to the initial fill or also to refueling at pit stops? In other words, will this be a one-stop or two-stop race? Thanks!

Gunner

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
When we set a fuel limit on the sim, it essentially reduces the size of the fuel tank to that percentage. So you will never be able to carry more than the 26 Liters or 6.8 gallons that you can start with. I don't think we will be bumping this up, and if it ends up a very clean race then there will just be 2 stops. Fuel strategy adds to the fun of ovals!

MontanAggie

Premium Member
Name
Bart Douglas Cook
iRacing ID
When we set a fuel limit on the sim, it essentially reduces the size of the fuel tank to that percentage. So you will never be able to carry more than the 26 Liters or 6.8 gallons that you can start with. I don't think we will be bumping this up, and if it ends up a very clean race then there will just be 2 stops. Fuel strategy adds to the fun of ovals!
OK, cool. That makes sense. Just needed to know ahead of time. I like the rule and the strategy and variable it adds. Thank you!

FriskyCanuck

Premium Member
Name
Frank Nguyen
iRacing ID
Is the 120 laps or 55 minutes race duration whichever occurs first? Does the sim reflect the change to a timed race through the spotter or something?

Looking forward to this one. Even though I'm primarily a road driver, I actually love doing oval races in officials. Here's hoping for some long green flag running!

Gunner

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Is the 120 laps or 55 minutes race duration whichever occurs first? Does the sim reflect the change to a timed race through the spotter or something?

Looking forward to this one. Even though I'm primarily a road driver, I actually love doing oval races in officials. Here's hoping for some long green flag running!
It is whichever comes first. We account for a bit of cautions, so 120 green flag laps wouldn't get us to 55 min. That said, I'm pretty sure there will be at least a few yellow flag laps and the race will go the 55 mins.

mbroomo

Organizer
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Mike Broomhead
iRacing ID
Hey all,
Speaking from last seasons experience...
If anyone wants a chance at winning or even having a shot at making up ground, something I think we all need to do, is manage the yellows better for these two short oval races we have. Last season we had some trouble keeping the yellow count down and that led to driving one handed telling stories and jokes for 55 mins instead of racing wheel to wheel. Whatever the reason, cold tire spins after a yellow, other people being aggressive, "he didn't give me room" whatever it is we all just need to give more space and take it a bit more easy. 55 mins is a long time whether its classed as a long race or not and we all need to get into the race, settle down and tick the laps off. When it gets to the end, sure kick it up a notch but not from the green.
I'm not saying this thinking I'm not included, I may have exactly a crash that I'm talking about but for all of us, all of our sakes lets try our best to have a yellow free race so we can all enjoy oval racing at its best. The first two races were well managed. The last race everyone gave space and used their heads, was great, loved it. We can do it.
Lets take that professional mentality to Phoenix boys and have some fun.
Thanks for listening to my input, absolute pleasure to race with you all.

mclachlanol

Organizer
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
This is what I have so far guys. I'm getting up to 23.99 on lap 3 and then falling back to 24.1 - 24.2s afterwards running by myself with full fuel. Tried a 4 lap qualifying run with 1.3gal and the best I got was 23.79.

I'm not anywhere near the quickest in the practice session. Best lap in session was 23.3, although I don't know if the other times in the session are qualifying or draft runs, could be but I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the mid to back of the pack in speed here.. I found that turning in a little bit earlier around the '1' cone in turn 1 (yes there are actually brake markers for the turns here) helps gain one to two tenths.

Attachments

• Phoenix2021.sto
    1.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

FriskyCanuck

Premium Member
Name
Frank Nguyen
iRacing ID
Decay in lap times might be due to engine temps, it's possible to be full throttle all the way around if the conditions are right. I dunno if staying in or out of the draft affects that.

Gunner

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
We are racing the oval without the open dog leg. You can dip below the yellow line without receiving a penalty in sim, but you have to stay above the cones that are on track at the dogleg

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
This is what I have so far guys. I'm getting up to 23.99 on lap 3 and then falling back to 24.1 - 24.2s afterwards running by myself with full fuel. Tried a 4 lap qualifying run with 1.3gal and the best I got was 23.79.

I'm not anywhere near the quickest in the practice session. Best lap in session was 23.3, although I don't know if the other times in the session are qualifying or draft runs, could be but I'm guessing I'm somewhere in the mid to back of the pack in speed here.. I found that turning in a little bit earlier around the '1' cone in turn 1 (yes there are actually brake markers for the turns here) helps gain one to two tenths.

Thanks again for posting your setup, sir!! (y) Once again, I prefer your set over the VRS sets I have - yours is similar to the "B" set from VRS but yours, for me, is more stable and for longer runs (hopefully we'll need that). My fastest time on your setup was a 24.147, and the fastest I had on the VRS regular R set was a 24.047 (kinda cool, exactly a tenth! Ha!) but after about 7 or so laps the car felt very slide-y. Goal tomorrow is to just finish and mind the cold tires after a Yellow. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, thanks again for the setup, Owen!!

Seca

Name
Brett Acord
iRacing ID
Sorry again for my yellow flag. Traffic in front of me checked up and when I rolled off the gas, the rear came around. Not sure what happened but with 15 minutes left my connection dropped and it wouldn't let me rejoin. Pretty bummed as I like ovals in this car. On to next week.

mbroomo

Organizer
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Mike Broomhead
iRacing ID
I'd like to reach out an apologize to anyone who got caught up in me losing my car early on. It wasn't much but I lost it and I'm pissed at myself for it. Just got a tiny bobble on entry.
Sorry all.