Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 3: Lime Rock Park - Classic (Apr 2)

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Lime Rock Park - Classic.png

Race Time of day: 2020-04-04 17:40 1x
Race Length: 45 minutes
Max Incidents: Drive through at 11x, DSQ at 20x
Max Fuel: 50%
Start: Standing
Fast Repair: 0

Pre-Race Interview:

1- After racing on a full size F1 circuit, we are now headed to the smallest fast track around, Lime Rock!  How big of a factor do you think the inevitable traffic will play around here?

2- Brakes?  Who needs brakes?  With the classic layout, there is really only 1 braking zone, and not very heavy in this car.  Where do you think you can make the pass happen with that in mind?

3- If you were stuck in a 14 day quarantine with any race car driver out there, who would you want to be stuck with?

As a side note for this race - I find the pit entry to be a bit of a nightmare.  Cars will be slowing up very quickly after the last corner in order to hit the pit speed limit.  Please be aware of with if you are in a group of cars near the pit cycle!

code_greene

Premium Member
GT3 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Mitchell Ian Greene
iRacing ID
Hi can we please consider an alternate solution for qualifying for this circuit? There hasn't been much space for the first two rounds and that was on circuits that were ~1:30s long. With an average lap time of ~43 seconds at Lime Rock, if we don't take precautions, I can't imagine it will go well for most people. I understand this is part of the challenge, but ending up with a ton of people out of position on the starting grid in Lime Rock is sure to end in disaster. Perhaps we could donate 10-15 minutes of practice time to quali. I don't know if there is an option to quali in heats or anything, but that would be even better.

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Personnaly, even if I'm not racing in this series, I never had issue to qualify on short track... It's simply, you must have a gap of minimum 5 sec with the car in front to get a good lap... It's part of strategy and your responsability to manage this gap if there is a slower car in front. What I notice is that people exit the pit and don't understand the needed gap. There is no need to push the car in front as it won't give you a faster lap... Patience is the key and with lap under a minute like this circuit, it means you can easily do 10 laps, so it must be sufficient to get a clean and decent lap. That's my opinion though.

Gunner

Organizer
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
I don't see a big benifit of us moving to a closed qualifying session. At the end of the day, the race happens with all 40 cars on track. A safety net of qualifying alone promotes hot lapping ability, and not race craft with other cars around. The traffic of qualifying will be no worse than the race traffic.

I will say though that this suggestion brings to mind for everyone to have some self awareness on track. I for example, am slow. I always keep an eye on my relative during quali. If I see a car behind me currently sitting P7 let's say, unless I am well up on my previous best lap, I will let them by. I don't feel the need to hold up someone faster than myself if I am not about to improve my own position. In the same breath, I would urge fast drivers to do their best to leave a gap ahead for fast laps, and every driver has a right to try and run a uninterrupted fast lap, even if they are 3 or 4 seconds slower. We aren't trying to hold you up I swear!

A bit of awareness and respect from drivers of all speed will help us miles in qualifying. And please guys, don't weave to heat your tires if anyone is even relatively near you. It's unpredictable and can cause accidents.

As always, thanks for the suggestion and feedback. It is what helps us improve the league!

code_greene

Premium Member
Name
Mitchell Ian Greene
iRacing ID
I tried to create a gap for myself in Montreal and it led to a pile up collision. I can't imagine that this will go much better. But we'll see I suppose.

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
It's the same for everyone. I've been noticing that most of the complaints about too many cars on track are coming from some of our newer drivers. Having grids this size on these tracks has not been a problem for the past 4 seasons. This is the format. I understand it may be new to you, but it's the format PRL has always used. We all must qualify together and be respectful. Just like we all need to have more respect for our fellow drivers and be more cautious on lap 1.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
All good points above.

We will leave it as-is. As for weaving, Gunner makes a good point. If you're going to weave on your outlap, you best find some space to do it where it won't affect anyone. If you weave and it impacts another driver or causes a collision - you'll be up for a penalty. Do 2 laps and your tires will be just fine.

code_greene

Premium Member
Name
Mitchell Ian Greene
iRacing ID
It's not a complaint, by the way. It was a suggestion. This suggestion is because if all cars are on track for quali like they've been, we'll be 1 second apart, best case scenario. Given the speed disparity of the entire grid, I can't imagine it will go well. But I'll be very happy if I'm wrong and we'll find out.

Hotwir3

Name
Tyler DeZubay
iRacing ID
1- After racing on a full size F1 circuit, we are now headed to the smallest fast track around, Lime Rock!  How big of a factor do you think the inevitable traffic will play around here?  My sanity is about to go out the window.

2- Brakes?  Who needs brakes?  With the classic layout, there is really only 1 braking zone, and not very heavy in this car.  Where do you think you can make the pass happen with that in mind?  Let the asshole behind you by and wait for him to punt the guy.

3- If you were stuck in a 14 day quarantine with any race car driver out there, who would you want to be stuck with?  Bubba Wallace seems cool

Hotwir3

Name
Tyler DeZubay
iRacing ID
jeromef1 said:
It's simply, you must have a gap of minimum 5 sec with the car in front to get a good lap... 

ooooo yeaaaaa let's check the math here.  43 second lap, 5 second gap between cars, that allows for 8 cars on circuit.  

Checks signup list

Yea good luck everyone.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Well that sure is a positive attitude if I've ever seen one...

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
Hotwir3 said:
jeromef1 said:
It's simply, you must have a gap of minimum 5 sec with the car in front to get a good lap... 

ooooo yeaaaaa let's check the math here.  43 second lap, 5 second gap between cars, that allows for 8 cars on circuit.  

Checks signup list

Yea good luck everyone.

You afraid of us backmarkers??? 😁

Yes.  You will have to navigate traffic, not only during qualifying but also during the race. That’s the fun of racing vs hot lapping. 

And for all of my backmarker buddies, when we see a blue flag the best thing to do is to lift on the straights and let the faster cars by.  Do not race the leaders. Once you get caught by D. Holland you’ll find yourself in blue flag hell.  For us slow guys this can be pretty frustrating. But Lime Rock will be a great opportunity to learn how to deal with being lapped. 

For all you fast boys out there, we have a lot of new guys running with us this season. Please be as patient as possible with them. If anyone ignores the blue flag, just keep calm and protest them after the race. Using the radio to politely notify the driver in front of you of your presence  is fine, but please keep it to a minimum. If you go back and watch last week’s race you’ll notice a lot of drivers making mistakes when other people are using the chat. This isn’t a coincidence.  By default, the voice chat pop up shows up right in the line of sight and its super distracting if it shows up when you’re approaching a turn.  

We made it through a race at Tsukuba in this car.  So we should be fine with Lime Rock. Looking forward to seeing you guys on track!

bonaduce

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
1) Last spot on the grid is already a lap down.

2) Brakes are for #######, send it in and pray to the gods of grip to save your soul from the eternal hell of snake trousering yourself as you hit the wall.

3) Not to be cruel by Micheal Schumacher. With a wife who works nights and a son who leaves the house before me and gets home after I am in bed, it would seem like a normal life.

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1- After racing on a full size F1 circuit, we are now headed to the smallest fast track around, Lime Rock!  How big of a factor do you think the inevitable traffic will play around here?[/font]

I think traffic could potentially add some chaos to things. But i think it’s a unique challenge that only shows up maybe once or twice a season.  

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2- Brakes?  Who needs brakes?  With the classic layout, there is really only 1 braking zone, and not very heavy in this car.  Where do you think you can make the pass happen with that in mind?[/font]

I would hope that the people passing will do it on the straights

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3- If you were stuck in a 14 day quarantine with any race car driver out there, who would you want to be stuck with?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If i wanna party, it would be Danny Ricciardo. If i wanna Justin chill and have conversation it would be Seb Vettel. If i want a combination of both it would be Kimi.  [/font]

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
My money is on Kimi out-drinking Daniel 5 to 1 and being 20x as fun. The honey badger can't keep up to the Finn.

crich88848

Premium Member
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
What a race. White knuckle the whole time. Greg and Dave, sorry if I held you up there a bit at the end. I was not trying to race you. But I was running P11, so continued to run my line and let you by on the front straight. Its tough to let people by on this track in any other spot without sacrificing myself or being unpredictable. Last thing I wanted to do was make a move to let you by and end up causing an incident. 

kart7990

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S3
Name
David Holland
iRacing ID
Was there a protest filed for Mauricio's "bump pass"? If not, then is it safe to say once a driver is under review for an infraction, the entire race for that driver is open to any and all unrelated penalties the stewards stumble upon? Just seeking some clarity and trying to reconcile with "We suggest drivers involved in an on-track situation to talk it over with one another first before turning in a Stewarding Protest."

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
If said driver does said issue at same time of the protested action then yeah it is available for review. Why would it not be looked at??? Do we want stewards to just ignore something just because it wasn’t protested even if it happens in front of their eyes? How would that be upholding the standards of the league? In the end it is about a product put out there for the drivers to enjoy and the stewards are responsible to keep it fair and clean so it can be enjoyed by all.