Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Round 3: China - Shanghai International Circuit (03Oct18 @ 9pm EDT)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Darklol
2nd: iceman153
3rd: Zephyr
Pole: Darklol (01:49.445)
FL: Tron4949 (01:35.287)

Pre-Race Interview:

1. How do you feel about this track and what is your expectations ?
2. How does your team handle the pit strategies during a race ? Does one have priority over the other ?
3. Are you working with your teammate to get the best setup out of the car or its more a battle between teammates ?

moogleslam

Premium Member
Some notes before our next race:

[ol]
[li]From our Chief Steward in our Protests topic:  ***Steward's Note #2: Per the guidelines mentioned in the Stewards Protest Form, drivers are to communicate with each other before a protest is to be sent in.  My take:  Why is this a good idea?  It often prevents bad blood from being created, which can at times last all season, end even force drivers to quit.  Though some drivers look at protests, stewarding, and penalties as a fun part of league racing, obviously some do not.  It also helps drivers understand exactly what happened, as often times a driver doesn't even know an incident occurred, never mind that they were at fault, and talking about it can often just help two drivers understand each others side of the story, and maybe the end result is a "sorry, my bad", as well as a learning opportunity, instead of a protest/investigation/penalty.  It's also often the case that what one driver sees is not what happened on the other drivers screen, and those protests basically get thrown out, so it might not even be worth sending in a protest.  Finally, Stewarding is a LOT of work, and if you can avoid submitting a protest that was actually just a sync issue, or even if you can feel satisfied by reaching a mutual understanding/apology, instead of protesting, it really saves the Stewards a lot of work.[/li]
[li]If you're going to miss a race, please always post in the race thread as soon as possible, as I may not see your message on Steam.  This gives me time to organize Reserves to fill in, and perhaps gives them time to get used to the car they'll be racing.[/li]
[li]We have an open seat with Force India, I've invited someone to take it, and will do some further recruiting if needed, but at any time, feel free to send people a link to our sign up thread.  It's always good to have a few drivers on the Waiting List, and we don't have any at the moment.[/li]
[li]It's a long race.  You can't win a race on the first lap, but you can lose it.  Hero to zero.  All that jazz :)[/li]
[/ol]

moogleslam

Premium Member
iceman153 said:
I'm going to miss this one.

I'll try to forgive you in time, but for China, Sir Acha will take the other Renault seat :)

Also starting this race, LAcadien is a full time Force India driver, alongside Mudd.

moogleslam

Premium Member
Zephyr said:
moogleslam said:
[ol]
From our Chief Steward in our Protests topic:  ***Steward's Note #2: Per the guidelines mentioned in the Stewards Protest Form, drivers are to communicate with each other before a protest is to be sent in.  My take:  Why is this a good idea?  It often prevents bad blood from being created, which can at times last all season, end even force drivers to quit.  Though some drivers look at protests, stewarding, and penalties as a fun part of league racing, obviously some do not.  It also helps drivers understand exactly what happened, as often times a driver doesn't even know an incident occurred, never mind that they were at fault, and talking about it can often just help two drivers understand each others side of the story, and maybe the end result is a "sorry, my bad", as well as a learning opportunity, instead of a protest/investigation/penalty.  It's also often the case that what one driver sees is not what happened on the other drivers screen, and those protests basically get thrown out, so it might not even be worth sending in a protest.  Finally, Stewarding is a LOT of work, and if you can avoid submitting a protest that was actually just a sync issue, or even if you can feel satisfied by reaching a mutual understanding/apology, instead of protesting, it really saves the Stewards a lot of work.[/ol]

The problem is the requirement to submit the penalty report within 48 hrs of the race. People usually dont want to talk to another driver that ruined or took them out of a race until they have had a while to cool down. in my experience, the drivers communicating usually causes more bad blood than just an impartial steward discussing it. Just my opinion

Yeah, fair enough.  I'd suggest just sending a video to the other drive involved and saying something like "does your perspective look the same?" and keep the feels out of it :)

I think we're all in different boats though.  Everyone has a different degree of seriousness vs fun, and different amount of time invested in this championship, and all approaches are ok.  For sure, when I was fighting for championships, I wouldn't have been super happy about having my race destroyed, but these days, I'd be pretty chill about anything that happens on track, and I'd be surprised if I send in a single Protest all season.  

moogleslam

Premium Member
Falco Bronzo said:
Hi,
Saddly I'm gonna miss this one.
I'll be back next race.

Thanks for letting us know.  I'm working on getting the first reserve on the list to fill it, and will post again as soon as I hear back.

moogleslam

Premium Member
Darklol said:
Pre-Race Interview is up!

What?!  I don't have time for this!  I have a race tomorrow! :)

1. How do you feel about this track and what are your expectations?
Like Bahrain, it feels quite technical, and there are lots of tricky corners where you can gain or lose a lot of time because of how they're linked together.  It's got a lot of those turns where you need to sacrifice a little in one turn to better prepare for the next.  From a pace standpoint, turns 1-4, 7-9, and 11-13 are the big challenges here I think.

After two races, it's still really hard to know what I expect in terms of pace and finishing position.  I really only do Time Trial for my first day of practice, and I certainly find more pace after that, plus I don't check the leaderboards again to know how everyone else is doing.  I do feel like I'm slower here than I was at Bahrain.  Been stuck in a Mercedes, and haven't raced my Renault since our last race, so that always hurts.

I've qualified 7th and then 6th so far, so I'd like to match that at least.  In the race, I really am just hoping to keep it clean.  No broken front wings, no mistakes, and no penalties.  If I can do all that and at least finish where I started, I'll be happy.

2. How does your team handle the pit strategies during a race? Does one have priority over the other?
We haven't talked a lot about pit strategies specifically, but we have talked a LOT about strategies, and if we're on a different one from each other, it shouldn't be an issue.  I think it's rare that two drivers from the same team are going to need to pit within ~5 seconds of each other, or whatever it takes to not be held up in the pits.  However, that did happen to us at Bahrain, but only because we both suffered wing damage on lap 1.  I was behind him, so I just said he could pit first, and I suppose the lead driver should have priority.  I waited until the next lap.  However, we could find ourselves in a scenario where the driver in front has minor front wing damage, and the driver behind has major front wing damage, and then it would obviously make sense to have the driver behind pit first.  Or it's probably even worth just stacking the cars and waiting in some instances.  Later in the season, maybe we'll change it based on championship standings or something.

3. Are you working with your teammate to get the best setup out of the car or its more a battle between teammates?
I don't think either of us are big setup guys, but we've grabbed some setups from websites or TT, and made some minor tweaks.  iceman has probably done more than I have on that front, and has suggested some changes for me (though I'm stubborn, and reluctant to make changes close to race day!).  I'm more about getting laps in to find pace, and testing different strategies.

For many many seasons here in many different championships and many different sims, my teammate was Phil Ciborowski, and we had an awesome time practicing and racing together together, and have even hung out in real life a few times, but I was always a lot faster than him on track.  iceman is a little faster than me, and I think it's the first time I've ever had a faster teammate.  He's not faster by a whole lot though, so it's really fun to have a teammate who is so close to me in pace, and who I'm pushing to try and beat.  I'm up 2-0 in qualifying, and he's up 2-0 in the race, and I think race pace was always a bit of a weakness of mine compared to qualifying where I seem to be able to pull of a good hot lap when it counts.  I'm rusty from not having done any racing for a few years though.  I started my career with AI at 60, and I'm up to 100 now, so hopefully I keep improving, and get my magic back :)

Plasmaraider

Might not make it to this race, kinda 50/50 and up in the air rn

Edit: Cant make it, didnt realize i planned something irl over this. Probably a good race for me to miss since i was traveling and dont like china that much anyways

moogleslam

Premium Member
UPDATED!

Confirmed Lineup Changes this Week
[ol]
[li]LAcadien > Force India (Full Time - replacing xRainMan24x who hasn't shown for 3 consecutive races)[/li]
[li]Sir_Acha > Renault (Reserve - filling in for iceman153)[/li]
[li]jalmenar > Williams (Reserve - filling in for RichardTheRocket33 who is replacing daveneverend who had to drop out of the league)[/li]
[li]kevmanw430 > Toro Rosso (Reserve - filling in for Plasmaraider)[/li]
[/ol]

Available Seats
[ol]
[li]McLaren (Falco Bronzo)[/li]
[/ol]

Remaining Reserve Priority Order
[ol]
[li]piboye[/li]
[/ol]
Working on it!

Megaman

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. How do you feel about this track and what is your expectations ? [/font]
A top 5 again will be more than welcome. It's a tricky track and even I if I have set a good TT lap, I had to work my setup to prevent tire wear and unstable rear end in some corners. We can have a full wet race here also.
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
2. How does your team handle the pit strategies during a race ? Does one have priority over the other ?[/font]

My teammate is usually far in front so it's not a problem.

3. Are you working with your teammate to get the best setup out of the car or its more a battle between teammates ?
Since we have now the same wheel base, it is more easier to work on setups together.  I couldn't play with Dark's setups with my G27, high ballast doesn't fit that wheel. Also, I'm not at hes pace yet so it's definitely not a battle between us, but i think I'm faster now compare to couple last season's.

Sucuri

1. How do you feel about this track and what is your expectations ?
First time racing here, but it turns out I am on pace! So hopefully tonight will be the end of the bad luck I have had this season

2. How does your team handle the pit strategies during a race ? Does one have priority over the other ?

We decided that whoever qualifies ahead gets first choice, since we have similar pace. Has yet to be an issue since I don't seem to be able to survive lap 1.

3. Are you working with your teammate to get the best setup out of the car or its more a battle between teammates ?
Its full cooperation here at Ferrari. Tron and I use mon and tue nights to try and exchange ideas until we got a racing ready car. It really helps we are on the same car and wheel, but he does have a load cell brake, which leaves me to figure brakes alone (which I suck at).

moogleslam

Premium Member
I'm away until Tuesday, so won't get my recap and video done until then, but as usual, I have a lot to say :)

Tron4949

Premium Member
start and final few laps, really intense race...

RACE START:
[youtube]t_qMxGm75LU[/youtube]

LAST FEW LAPS BATTLE WITH DARKLOL:
[youtube]d_iDQ29ziAo[/youtube]

moogleslam

Premium Member
Starting to write this on an airplane, so not able to verify if anything I say is accurate by looking at screenshots/video :)

Qualifying

So this week, even more than the last two, I focused on strategy so much more than setups or qualifying pace.  I think I grabbed Megaman's TT setup on Sunday night when I did my first laps here, and then I tried the top two guy's setups from the overall leaderboard, then I somewhat combined the #2 guy with Megaman's setup, and went with it from that point forth, but qualifying practice didn't really come until race night.  I was finally able to jump into an online session with my Renault for the first time about 40 minutes before the race, and managed a 1:31.1.  I was super happy with this, because it was way faster than what I had done up until that point, and faster than what I expected.

When we got the lobby loaded, and I got to track for real, I went out and managed a 1:31.5 on my first hot lap if I recall correctly.  This felt like a good banker, and I was 2nd to Dark, surprisngly, for quite a while until Sucuri took 2nd.  My second hotlap started off badly, and though I encoutered some traffic, it didn't matter as I wasn't going to better it.  My third lap was up by as much as 5 tenths at the mid point, but I ended up losing it somewhere, and only marginally improved to get to a 1:31.4 for 3rd.  Even if I had managed to match my PB, it wasn't going to move me further up the grid, so I was super happy to be 3rd, which was a huge step up from my previous qualifying best of 6th in the last race at Bahrain, and way beyond the expectations I layed out in the pre-race interview.

Race

My start off the line was decent, and though I feel like I had a bit of a threat for behind, I really didn't have time to look at who or where from, so I went hard into turn 1, and was able to hold onto third.  I had a really good opening lap, and felt faster than Sucuri's Ferrari in front of me at times.  By lap two, I was thinking of opportunities to make a pass.  Unfortunately, I was a bit too eager.  I ended up spinning coming out of turn 7 (trying to remember turns from memory, so might be wrong).  I hadn't spun there one single time in practice, so it was a weird one.  I was really mad at myself, and had fallen half way down the field.  

As I got going again, I was super eager to get back past whoever was in front of me - he's holding me up! - and gave it too much throttle coming out of the last turn on lap 2(?), and right into the wall; again, had never spun there once in practice!  Front wing totally gone.  I had to do a whole lap with no front wing to get back to the pits.  Super painful, and I really thought my race was destroyed with no chance of points.  My original plan was to run the Ultra's until lap 5, then pit and run the Mediums the rest of the way.  I debated switching to Soft-Soft since I was pitting earlier, but ultimately decide to stick with the 1 stop on Mediums.  I felt like 1 stop was the only way to make up for my two massive mistakes I had made, and I'd be able to deal with the extra tire wear at the end of the race.  I think that was me 2nd last.

During that long Medium stint, I had a great battle with Megaman in the early part of it, and I really had to strategize to find a way past.  Initially, I just went for it and I couldn't pull it off, but I had actually started this race with only a half lap of extra fuel, and I was near empty on my ERS, so after a failed attemped, I fell back to charge up and save some fuel.  We ended up catching someone else, though it escapes me who it was.  This seemed to hold up Megaman to my advantage and I was soon behind him again, but coming out of turn 10, he seemed to lose the back end a little, and a gap appeared on the inside.  I went for it to make the pass, and though there ended up being contact, I'm fairly certain it was a clean move on my part. After that, I had to find a way past the other driver that had been holding up Megaman.  At this point, it's worth noting that I'm a bit like Daniel Ricardo (less smiling) in the sense that I'm the latest of the late brakers, and so far this season, it has caught me out a little bit.  Whoever was ahead was way earlier on the brakes than me, and while I was doing everything I could to avoid hitting him, I feel like my excessive braking to avoid doing just that resulted in Megaman hitting the back of me.  I hoped he had not damaged his front wing, because that exact scenario happened at Bahrain when he was behind me and I was trying to avoid hitting the car in front of me.

After I got past Megaman, I was able to pull out a gap, and had a relatively quiet race the rest of the way.  I was REALLLY surprised when i found myself in 6th mid way through the race, and I was sure I'd have some cars on fresh tires catching and passing me before the end.  Turns out the only other action I saw was when I lapped Pat Lessard, and at that point, my tires were so worn, that I think I was holding him up, but that was just a couple of laps from the end, and I got to the checkered flag still in 6th!

Summary

Amazing Qualifying.  Amazing 1st Lap.  Horrible 2nd Lap.  Surprising recovery.  That's pretty much it.  After my two spins and missing front wing on lap 2, I really never thought I was going to be back in the points, never mind 6th.  Oh what could have been of course.  Race pace wise, I should have been able to finish where I started in 3rd if not for that 2nd lap.  Oh well, onto Baku.  Unfortunately, I'm away until Tuesday, so my practice will be minimal, and I likely won't have great pace there as a result.  It's also a circuit I'd never raced at until I did a career race when the game came out, so missing practice time will hurt more than normal.

Bobino12

Premium Member
I was quite satisfied with my 5th place in qualif even if I could have done a better time. The start of the race was correct and I was very carefull through the first 3 laps. I went to the pit on lap 6 for mediums for a one stop strategy which I knew would be perfect for a good final place if no mistakes.

My pace was very good on the mediums and i was in 5th position on lap 14th when the problems began with my shifters. I began to have problems at the end of lap 14th and they increased at a point where it began undrivable and i had to quit the session into the pits.

I tried everything I could to make the shifters working again without success and I was passed by many drivers. I tried to place my car outside the racing line and I hope I didn't ruined anyone's race.

That's very disapointing because with the pace I had, I think I could have finished into the first 5 positions because I knew my tyres were going to last until the end.

I found the source of my wheel problems and had a fix on it. 

Watch some laps of my misery…

https://youtu.be/k737Ju4SAv0

moogleslam

Premium Member
Here's my LAP1Series video from China!  Maybe I'll get around to some full race highlights at some point in the next two weeks!

[youtube]cjE8f5_dhKY[/youtube]