Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 2: Iowa Speedway - Oval (Apr 1)

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Iowa.png

Race Time of day: 2021-04-03 19:35 1x
Heat Races: 5 min. / 10 laps / Max. field 13 / 4 entrants advancing
Consolation Races: 8 min. / 16 laps / Max. field 37
Feature Race: 15 min. / 30 laps / Max. field 25
Max Incidents: Drive through at 11x, DSQ at 20x
Max Fuel: 65%
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 0
Caution: Disabled

FriskyCanuck

Premium Member
Full Name
Frank Nguyen
iRacing ID
Any idea what lap times will look like?
21-22 seconds with the iRacing setup.

I wish the race lengths would be longer. The feature race would just barely be over 10 minutes, I would have liked it to be twice as long. I know it's a constraint with the broadcast, but it still a bummer.

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
Hey guys,

The Heat race format has been updated:

Heat race size = max 15, top 5 advance, 5min-12laps

Consolidation = max field size 40 (probably will be 30-35), top 10 advance 10min-25laps

Final = field size 30, 20min-45laps

We are going to get a few more laps in for the Consolidation and Final. However, practice your qualifying, your starting position counts for a lot in heat racing.

See you guys on Thursday!

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
Yep the iracing sim will take care of seeding everyone, all you have to do is hit the grid button when your heat is gridding.

I'll write up a summary tonight for everyone on how heat racing works.

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
21-22 seconds with the iRacing setup.

I wish the race lengths would be longer. The feature race would just barely be over 10 minutes, I would have liked it to be twice as long. I know it's a constraint with the broadcast, but it still a bummer.

PRL operates 2 oval series' that just might satisfy you. 😉

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
Alright guys (@Indy Pro 2000 Series 2021/S2) , here is a general summary of how the heats are going to work tomorrow night:

First off if you want to read the iracing guide to heat racing go here and click on "Heat Racing" under "Getting Started".
  • We will have our normal three hours of practice (I strongly suggest you practice qualifying).
  • Qualifying will be 4 laps on your own, best lap counts.
  • There will be 4 heat races (12 laps each) and they will be seeded automatically based on your qualifying time:
    • Heat 1 - P1 ,P5, P9....
    • Heat 2 - P2, P6, P10....
    • Heat 3 - P3, P7, P11...
    • Heat 4 - P4, P8, P12....
  • You should be able to look at the results screen in the garage to tell what heat you are in, and Heats are run separately (not at the same time), so if your heat is not up yet just sit back and enjoy the show until it's your turn.
  • Gridding for the next heat starts pretty quickly after the previous race is done so be prepared to go. Basically if you see the gridding button on the top of the screen go green, click it.
  • Top five in each heat automatically advance to the finals. Everyone else gets put in the consolidation race and are seeded based on their finishing position.
    • 6th place in heat 1 will start P1, 6th place in heat 2 will start P2, so-on
  • Consolidation race is 25 laps and the top 10 drivers advance to the finals. For everyone else, your night is done, grab a beer (or a soda for the under 18 crowd). Better yet, try out one of the Lazy Gator Lounge beverages.
  • The final race is 45 laps.
    • First place in heat 1 will start P1, First in heat 2 will start P2, so-on, Consolidation qualifiers will start P21-P30
  • Points for the championship will be scored positions 1-30 based on the finishing position in the finals, 31-56 based on the finishing position in the consolidation race. AM/PRO points will be giving out as normal.

Some of key things to remember:
  • NEVER EVER log out of the session, I have no idea where the sim will put you or if it will allow you to come back in. The admins have no control of where people are put.
  • There are NO yellows. So basically if you crash, you race/heat is over, hit escape and clear the track.
  • If your in the wall pretty hard try and hold the car into the wall, and if you spin hold your brakes. We want to try and minimize collateral damage from crashes and spins the best we can.
  • Qualifying is huge in heat racing. It's a lot easier to finish in the top five if you start in the top five so practice your four lap qualifying run.
  • Don't give up in the heats if you are P6/P7. Finishing P6 in the heat gives you a great starting position for the consolidation race.

Last seasons heat race was a lot of fun so I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Good luck all and I'll see you guys tomorrow night!

Last edited:

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
Lol, sorry no. I'm not good at ovals. I used the iracing set for a race Monday. Qualifying speed was pretty good but it does seem to fall off a bit during the race, but that may be fine for the shorter heats. I plan on messing with some settings during practice tonight.

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
This was in the forums, I think from Will Sutton. Not sure how it will hold up for the race but was better in qualifying than the iracing set.

Attachments

• iowa mod24.sto
    4.9 KB · Views: 8

brettclutch

Premium Member
Full Name
Brett Barrett
iRacing ID
If we're taking feedback my experience was no bueno on heat racing. My iRacing game locked up on 'tech inspection' before the grid button was made available and couldn't grid (first time that ever happened). We did 30+ minutes of heat racing just to eliminate I think I counted 19 people from the final race, rather just do a qualifying cut-off or something and save all the wait time doing nothing.

Sorry to who I took out trying to aggressively get up to the top 10 from last of the consolation race, ran 29th up to 14th but then couldn't get around in a few laps and I got too aggressive.

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
An "insider" tells me this could be the last oval on Thursdays. Who knows!

Looking forward to the rest of the schedule. My brake pedal was whining the whole race. Was fun, don't get me wrong... but just not as exciting as it could be, IMO.

FriskyCanuck

Premium Member
Full Name
Frank Nguyen
iRacing ID
Well I had a lot of fun dicing with the DeltaSport guys, especially with Watts and Herbigneaux. At least I ended the last oval race in this league on a high note.