Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 2: China - Shanghai International Circuit (12Apr18 @ 9pm EDT)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results:
1st: McSendit
2nd: AerosStrike
3rd: ForzaAlonso14
Pole: MitchMan009 (1.32.397)
FL: ForzaAlonso14 (1.35.153)

Pre-Race Interview:
1) This week we are in China, a very different circuit from Australia.  How will you adapt for this track?
2) Last week qualification was in the wet.  Does this normally help or hurt you?
3) F1 has announced another Esports Series that will start on the 13th.  Any interest in this or to watch?
https://f1esports.com/news/f1-esports-series-is-about-to-start-its-second-season/

McSendit

Premium Member
1) This week we are in China, a very different circuit from Australia.  How will you adapt for this track?

I have always liked this track, but have never felt like I've had extraordinary pace here. You have to be a lot smoother with the steering and throttle inputs compared to Australia, where you can get away with really flicking the car around. Shaghai's corners require a lot more patience and a smoother approach.

2) Last week qualification was in the wet.  Does this normally help or hurt you?

I found that turning my force feedback strength all the way up significantly increased my pace in the wet. The car just skims across the surface of the track the whole time with very little adhesion, so you need to be able to feel as much of it as possible. I turn it down a little bit for the dry, though. Overall I seem to do well in the wet.

3) F1 has announced another Esports Series that will start on the 13th.  Any interest in this or to watch?
https://f1esports.com/news/f1-esports-s ... nd-season/

I plan on trying my absolute hardest to qualify for this, but have little to no expectation of making it. You have to qualify by playing one of their special "event" races, where you are given some scenario (against AI) like "Finish 7th or higher" with only 5 laps to go. You get points based on the assists (if any) you use, your overall time, number of clean laps, etc. You pretty much have no chance of qualifying unless you run assist free. And even if you did manage to qualify with ABS on or something, the next round of racing REQUIRES no assists. I guess it's time to get practicing! The hardest one for me to take off is the racing line.

nickthequick

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Nicholas Delp
iRacing ID
1) This week we are in China, a very different circuit from Australia.  How will you adapt for this track?
I tend to like tracks with long sweeping corners and T1 is very unique and good for that.  You need a car that will turn well here and then be able to deal with saving the back end when you over do it.  This is a very front limited track compared to the rest of the calendar.

2) Last week qualification was in the wet.  Does this normally help or hurt you?
It probably hurts me some in all honesty, but I feel like I am a solid 2nd tier driver in this league, so I will probably end up around the same place regardless.  I just have less room for error in the wet since I do not run assists.  One little lockup will kill it for me.

3) F1 has announced another Esports Series that will start on the 13th.  Any interest in this or to watch.
I only watched one of the events from last year and the format has changed some.  I will give the scenario a go as it looks like the first one is driving the Mercedes in a drying track at China.  The format to me is kind of stupid, why race against AI drivers when in the end you race real people?  Some of the challenge is getting the AI at the right time and its not always quite the same.  Like I said, I will try it out at least, would not mind putting up a party chat with some people to try and find out some secrets if anyone is interested.  You do have to run no assists though and drive a clean race or you will never get a top time.

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID
I am not a big fan of this track. There are a couple sections that always give me difficulty. I have put in a decent amount of practice though and hope to come away with a fair amount of points this week.

Hurt. I am just awful in the wet for this game. I was quite happy with my time last week though, so that's encouraging. 

3) F1 has announced another Esports Series that will start on the 13th.  Any interest in this or to watch?

I'm certainly not good enough to compete in that, even if assists were allowed. I will keep an eye out for it though, especially if any PRL drivers are able to qualify!

Bemoore

Premium Member
1) This week we are in China, a very different circuit from Australia. How will you adapt for this track?

Very familiar with China. Biggest issue for me is tire wear. Just trying to not push too hard first couple of laps and keep my front wing in the green.

2) Last week qualification was in the wet. Does this normally help or hurt you?

Normally I’m faster than most in the rain. I didn’t get to do a second stint, so I think it hurt me this time.

3) F1 has announced another Esports Series that will start on the 13th. Any interest in this or to watch?

No, I like watching our league. Since I know the drivers it’s more fun to watch.

drewdawg727

1) China is also one of my least favorite tracks along with Australia. Difficult to get a perfect lap, but rewarding when you do get it. It's going to be tough to adapt, especially with a high likelihood for rain.

2) I am not a fan of rain, it takes me too long to get comfortable with braking points and I am just generally not quick in those conditions.

3) I don't really have the time to commit to the competition, but I know several European drivers who are attempting to qualify for it.

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID
Q: 7th

I made a mistake on my first lap. Came in for new tires and the rain came. Considering the conditions I was happy with the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VShPIP0vM

R: 7th

Got a clean start, and maintained the position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NOY3oVL5o

My teammate Bemoore caught me with a bit more race pace than I was showing, so I made it easy for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi9uirC9sw

Only pit stop of the race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8oilWs1hE

Mistake from jrod takes him off track and loses a few positions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3pfEfQw140

Fun battle with Aero after he rejoined the session and the last few laps of the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYvEqN299Q&t=104s

nickthequick

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Nicholas Delp
iRacing ID
Race Recap:
Quali: P3
Race: P3
[youtube]zxyNsSjnVkY[/youtube]
Started off with a decent lap but then got the word it was going to rain, so there was only 1 run.  Luckily I was in the top 3.

As for the race I did not get the best start as JRod just got by.  I tried to go to the outside, but he keeped me squeezed in to T2 so I would not get by.  A few laps later I was able to get back past in T1 when he made a mistake.

From there Woody passed a few people and now Williams was sitting P3 and P4.

I decided to Pit on Lap 7 for the Medium tire.  It turns out that it was possible to do SS to S which was interesting.  Could not keep up with the top 2 and then it was a battle for P3 with Aero and Woody.

Unfortunately Aero got disconnected and then I was narrowly able to keep Woody behind in the ending stages as he took a lunge down the inside into the hair pin.  Luckily I was able to keep P3. 

Another good week for the Williams Team and nice job for Odemz and McSenderino!