Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Round 18: United States - Circuit of the Americas (20Feb19 @ 9pm EST)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Darklol
2nd: Tron4949
3rd: Megaman
Pole: Darklol (01:33.190)
FL: Darklol (01:37.247)

moogleslam

Premium Member
I know that earlier this season, I mentioned a couple of tracks that were super technical, but this has to be up there as well.  So hard to put it all together to get a good lap.  Not real easy to find a balanced setup either.  

Fruitsalsa

moogleslam said:
I know that earlier this season, I mentioned a couple of tracks that were super technical, but this has to be up there as well.  So hard to put it all together to get a good lap.  Not real easy to find a balanced setup either.  

I am having such a hard time finding a good setup for this one as well. My rear tires are always on the verge of overheating...

moogleslam

Premium Member
Fruitsalsa said:
moogleslam said:

I am having such a hard time finding a good setup for this one as well. My rear tires are always on the verge of overheating...

Did you see this?  http://precisionracingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2666

Fruitsalsa

moogleslam said:
Fruitsalsa said:
moogleslam said:

Did you see this?  http://precisionracingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2666

wow, that is quite bad....I wish I saw this before the race though :p

However, I never had the problem before the US grand prix...Temperature has never been an issue for me. That leaves me to believe it has something to do with the way I drive on this track. Still, it would have been interesting to test this!

moogleslam

Premium Member
Qualifying

Qualifying was as good as it could be.  I wanted to get into the 1:32's, and I did that on my first hot lap.  I improved on my second hot lap, just before the rain came, and I knew no one was going to be improving their times after that.  I was set to start 5th, my best grid position since I started 3rd all the way back in China.

Race

I had a good enough start to stay 5th on the run to turn 1, but maybe I was too early on the brakes or maybe I just ended up in a bad position in the pack.  I had cars passing me on both sides, and I got pushed wide following contact.  Thankfully, no damage, but I had lost 3 positions.

A few corners later, and the damage would come though.  After sector 1, Megaman and I had different lines or braking points or both, and I ended up hitting the back of him, and my front wing was damaged.

The car was understeering a lot, but I was surprisngly able to stay close to iceman, Bobino, and Mega ahead of me, who I think were slowing each other down because they were all battling.  After a few laps, I was in DRS range of Bobino, but even with DRS, I could never quite make a pass.  I had to stay behind him until I pitted on lap 9, but he came in at the same time.  Unfortunately, I think I hit the wrong button when entering the pits, and my Pit Limiter didn't come on, so I got a 5 second penalty.  Then of course, I had to have my front wing replaced as well.  It looked like Bobino did too, because we exited the pits with the same gap.

I was so excited to have my front wing fixed, and to get onto some fresh tires, but they felt really bad when they were cold.  I thought once they heated up, I'd find some pace, but I never did.  It was super frustrating, and I think by lap 12, I was already looking forward to the race being over.  I picked up a a massive 12 seconds of penaties over the remainder of the race, on top of my 5 second penalty for speeding in the pits, but it made no difference.  I didn't have the pace or focus to stay with Bobino, and no one was close behind me.  8th it was.

Summary

Despite qualifying 5th, I'm not sure I could have done better than 8th in the race.  I had awful pace on that Soft tire, and lost interest in this circuit so fast.  It's definitely not one of my favorites.

Mexico is next, and I have never raced there.  I have a World of Tanks thing keeping me busy again for the next two weeks, so will probably not put in the time to master the circuit, but I'll be there at least.

moogleslam

Premium Member
My lap 1.  Somehow the audio and video are out of sync, but I can't fix as I already deleted the source.

[youtube]FsP-8H6efoI[/youtube]