Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Round 17: Japan - Suzuka International Racing Course (06Feb19 @ 9pm EST)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Darklol
2nd: Sucuri
3rd: MBr
Pole: Darklol (01:28.547)
FL: Darklol (01:43.682)

moogleslam

Premium Member
Good thing we have a break on the 14th, because I wouldn't have been able to make it had we had a race then.

Suzuka.  This track feels so fast in 2018.  Looks like you had rain here last season.  I feel like we're due for rain again....

moogleslam

Premium Member
Qualifying

Improved on each of my hot laps in qualifying, which wasn't that hard since my first one was so bad.  My third and final was actually the messiest of all, yet it ended up being the fastest.  Had another half second in me, but that would have only been 1 place further up, so it was acceptable.  8th on the grid & starting on Super Soft.

Race

I thought I had a fairly good start off the line, but it seems everyone around me did too.  Then while I thought I was making up places thanks to some turn 1 and 2 chaos which included some quick reactions to avoid contact, and a little brush with a Ferrari, when the dust settled, I saw I was still in 8th!

Toward the end of the opening lap, there was another incident heading into the last chicane involving Plasma, so I took 7th from him, but not without cost.  I think the brake marker had been taken out, and I don't know if I missed my braking point, or if something happened to crizano ahead, but I hit the back of him and damaged my front wing.

Not having any clue as to optimal strategies or tire wear here, I decided to keep going to see how it felt, and perhaps to stick to my original plan of a one stop where I'd switch to the Medium compound.  Plasma retook the position from me during this stint, but I otherwise held stationary.

For sure, the oversteer was bad, and it was costing me a lot of time, but it wasn't undrivable, so I decided to stick it out, and maybe just come in slightly earlier than the others.  Strangely though, as my tires started to wear, the drivability never felt any worse - maybe the understeer from the front wing was masking the tire wear - so I just kept going and going, way after the other drivers who had started on Super Soft had pitted.  

By now, I had it in my mind, that I could just go a bit further and fit the Soft tire instead of the Medium.  I felt like this was my reward for having had to deal with the front wing damage up to this point!  By lap 12, the tires actually still felt fine, but I decided this was probably optimal, and if I took the Super Soft 12 laps, I could take the Soft 15 laps to finish out the race.

After getting the new front wing and tires, I came out in 9th, just barely in front of Falco & Sucuri, and with Tron ahead.  With 10 laps to go Tron pitted for Super Soft, and came out behind me.  He also had a 3 second penalty.  Doubted that I could keep him behind me, but if I could make that hard, and then finish within those 3 seconds, I'd be happy.

Moved up to 7th when crizano pitted, and then to 6th when my teammate had a spin.  For me, this was helpful because iceman delayed Tron for a while.  Found myself in 5th after Bobino pitted on lap 20.  This was all unexpected as I thought everyone had finished their pit stops already.

By lap 22, Tron had finally found a way past iceman, and he was just a couple of seconds behind me.  He was soon on my gearbox, but I kept him there for a couple of laps.  On lap 24, I thought he had the inside line for 130R, so I tried to go extra wide to leave him space, but in doing so I ran off track, and started to feel the back end kick out.  As soon as I had started to change my line for him, I realized he wasn't going for it after all, but too late by then.  I corrected, came back across the track, and just barely avoided contact with the barrier, and amazingly, didn't lose much momentum.  More amazingly, and thankfully, I didn't make contact with Tron, but I had lost the place and fallen back to 6th.

By this point, I had picked up a 3 second penalty myself, but Tron was up to 6 seconds of penalties.  Unfortunately, I had iceman right behind me, so I lost all focus on the gap to Tron and just tried to ensure I could maintain 6th, which after an intense few laps to end the race, I did.

Summary

I was surprisingly happy with my pace here, and actually think I went for the right strategy too.  Unfortunately, the lap 1 front wing damage and the mistake vs Tron are what defined my race.  Not the end of the world if it only cost me one place, and it was still a super fun race once I got my front wing replaced.  Was burned out with Suzuka for a while, but it feels great in F1 2018 with the setup I used.

See you in two weeks for CotA!

Plasmaraider

My view of the race, sorry tron for the contact, i think it was desync, because you can see in my video i get nothing to tell me that we made contact.
Race starts at 27:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34NuczGs-GY

iceman153

Stewards incident [ID: 658] - sorry bobino, there was nothing i could do about this, i wasn't reversing on the track, my car spun and it stopped sideways across the middle of the track there, the track is very thin at that point and there is no runoff at all, the walls are right up against the track, I was just trying to get my car out of the way, but i didn't have a chance. I don't really care about the points this season, i wouldn't even bother appealing, but when i get time i'll go get my video for you to see as you deserve that, i have no idea why my car didn't ghost for you, it should have.

Bobino12

Premium Member
Don't worry Iceman. I'm sorry i had to go to the Stewards but I was so upset because it ruined my race completly and my chance to finish in the top 5. It doesn't change the respect i have for you as a driver.

Here's my point of view :
https://youtu.be/_Pu0pp39Jak

iceman153

yeah it's a bummer that my car didn't ghost, I'd have been annoyed too, at least you didn't loose a wheel. but you can see my nose was almost touching the wall on the other side there i couldn't go forward, it was either just stay there across the track on the racing line and not move for the rest of the race, or backup so i could turn the car. unlucky that i started backing up right after you committed to going behind me. Not sure what the stewards expected me to do differently there. in real life i could have looked left and seen you, but not in this game, anyway sorry that happened bobino.

iceman153

Here's my view, unlucky place to stop after that spin, sorry it messed your race up.   I have no idea how i didn't take any damage, i should have lost a wheel, but it seems like the rear of the cars don't take damage, only the front wing and wheels.

[youtube]dYSorzcXYRo[/youtube]

Megaman

iceman153 said:
  Not sure what the stewards expected me to do differently there.  in real life i could have looked left and seen you, but not in this game
You can actually set a button to look left and right ;)  I also like better the mini-map that don't show all the track.. easier to see if someone is coming. I had a similar situation at Spa but had to let 4-5 cars to pass me.

iceman153

Megaman said:
iceman153 said:
  Not sure what the stewards expected me to do differently there.  in real life i could have looked left and seen you, but not in this game
You can actually set a button to look left and right ;)  I also like better the mini-map that don't show all the track.. easier to see if someone is coming. I had a similar situation at Spa but had to let 4-5 cars to pass me.

You can, but its useless in the game, except i guess for this exact scenario, lol.  when you are wheel to wheel you get the proximity arrows, and the left/right animation is so slow.   if only F1 2018 had VR...

Zephyr

iceman153 said:
Megaman said:
iceman153 said:

You can, but its useless in the game, except i guess for this exact scenario, lol.  when you are wheel to wheel you get the proximity arrows, and the left/right animation is so slow.   if only F1 2018 had VR...

I have an eye tracker which is the closest you can get to VR for F1 2018. Still isnt the same as VR, they really need to add that

Bobino12

Premium Member
Here's my full race (no cut) including my best qualif lap.

You'll see it was not a perfect race starting on lap 1 when Plasmaraider spun into the 100 meter board which distracted me pretty much. Later on lap 9 with pretty worn tyres, I spun at about the same place as Iceman153 at corner number 9 under the bridge. Before moving my car, I looked at the minimap, saw nobody close to me and engaged the rear gear and started again.  ;)

The last statement is not a direct attack to Iceman153 because of our collision on lap 20. It's not easy to think about looking around before trying to move the car back on track because we're so focussed on the race and not loosing time. This racing league is so competitive...!

After my pitstop for the Medium tyres on lap 10, i went too large at the beginning of the esses because of my cold tyres. Anyways, it was fun racing in Japan mostly with Iceman153 at the beginning and middle of the race even if i was pretty alone most part of the race. 

After my pitstop to replace my broken wing on lap 20, even with new SuperSoft tyres, I was not able to catch Sucuri in 8th place because he was too quick even on worn Medium tyres or i was too slow, I can't say. My focus was not at the same level after the incident which resulted in many basic mistakes for the remaining laps. 

https://youtu.be/-QHYw4BSDOg

Plasmaraider

Bobino12 said:
Don't worry Iceman. I'm sorry i had to go to the Stewards but I was so upset because it ruined my race completly and my chance to finish in the top 5. It doesn't change the respect i have for you as a driver.

Here's my point of view :
https://youtu.be/_Pu0pp39Jak

This is in my opinion a classic incident of holding the brake. If youre moving at all, youre just adding another variable that another car has to worry about, especially since bobino had time to react here, the best thing to do would just be wait in my opinion 

Edit: It also should go without saying that being in that position was a mistake none the less and in motorsports mistakes are going to be punished, so dont be afraid to drop another position in the name of keeping it safe