Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Round 10: Great Britain - Silverstone Circuit (12Dec18 @ 9pm EST)

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID

Last Season's Results: 
1st: Tron4949
2nd: Darklol
3rd: Sucuri
Pole: Darklol (01:27.292)
FL: Tron4949 (01:42.566)

jalmenar

Premium Member
Guys,

So I hear from Fanatec, it will take them about a month to repair my steering wheel. So I went and bought a replacement wheel and will probably sell it when I get mine back. So I'm good to drive now, although I'm not competitive with this wheel (I'm not competitive at all anyways lol). So if I can have my seat back, I'm down to race. But, if the grid is full and everything is set with reserve drivers, then I can let my replacement driver race for me, I dont mind it. Anyways, I'll be around.

Thank you all!

moogleslam

Premium Member
jalmenar said:
Guys,

So I hear from Fanatec, it will take them about a month to repair my steering wheel. So I went and bought a replacement wheel and will probably sell it when I get mine back. So I'm good to drive now, although I'm not competitive with this wheel (I'm not competitive at all anyways lol). So if I can have my seat back, I'm down to race. But, if the grid is full and everything is set with reserve drivers, then I can let my replacement driver race for me, I dont mind it. Anyways, I'll be around.

Thank you all!

Your Toro Rosso seat is still yours!  See you Wednesday!

moogleslam

Premium Member
Driver Status (will update)

[ul]
[li]Normand > Lamp (Haas) - not yet confirmed, but this will likely be a full time switch[/li]
[li]LAcadien > Zephyr (Force India)[/li]
[li]Aranir01 > TBD (Haas)[/li]
[li]crizano > TBD (Williams)[/li]
[/ul]

jalmenar

Premium Member
Sorry guys I'm 20 mins late, I was hoping to join after the pole, but looks like you guys already started the race, DANG IT! Sorry for the no-show.

Zephyr

its really great that this game has complete RNG mechanics. I brake after the turn 1 straight and my car gets a random drs stuck open failure and it causes me to not make the corner and hit the wall.

moogleslam

Premium Member
Zephyr said:
its really great that this game has complete RNG mechanics. I brake after the turn 1 straight and my car gets a random drs stuck open failure and it causes me to not make the corner and hit the wall.

We talked about this after the race a bit.  I think it's ridiculous that online races have random mechanical failures, especially a dangerous and potentially race ending one like this.  You should post video to the CM forums.  My DRS broke (wouldn't open) right after it first came available, and it stayed that way all through my first stint.  This prevented me from potentially overtaking the car in front of me for many laps in a row.  I also had this exact same failure in another recent race.  There is no place for this in online races.  Outcomes should be determined by driver skill and judgement alone.  Save the random failures for career mode.

moogleslam

Premium Member
I keep finding new levels of unpreparedness for these races :) Tried some TT right before the race, and I couldn't find a setup I liked, nor any pace.

Qualifying

When I returned to the pits after setting my first lap time (1:28.8), and was down in 9th, I joked with iceman that I should just stay in the pits for the remainder of the session so I could fall out of the top 10 and get free tire choice.  I went back out of course, but ironically, I'd never set another lap time due to a plethora of mistakes.  I did indeed fall out of the top 10, and would start 11th.

Race

Since I had no idea what I was doing in terms of strategy, I just decided to invert the default one, and start on the Medium compound, if for nothing other than to satisfy my curiosity.  Starting on fresh tires, I thought I could maybe get away with pushing a bit harder throughout the race, so I started with the highest fuel load I'd had all season, +4 laps I think.  Usually I try to go light on fuel.

Following Austria's turn 1, I was just super focused on avoiding any contact at the start of this race.  After the lights went out, as soon as I saw a hint of chaos in front of me, I got right off the throttle to ensure I avoided it.  With such focus on avoiding incidents, I apparently forgot to turn my steering wheel for the corner, and went way off track.  In trying to get back on, I managed to spin my car on the grass.  Yay me.

That was me down in 15th (last) and far back from the pack.  I actually didn't really care as I was in once piece at least.  I also had clear track, so I just settled down immediately, and got to trying to find some consistency and pace.  Surprisingly I did, and I managed to catch and pass Bobino before the lap was over.  He must have had damage, as he pitted, along with two other cars. That was me already up to 12th.  Early in to the second lap, and I was already on Pat's tail, who spun almost as soon as I caught him, so I was back to my starting position in just over a lap.

I was then chasing down Falco who was in a battle with nael, and this was the beginning of what would become my most intense race of the season.  I was right on Falco's gear box, and pressuring him at every opportunity I could.  I so very nearly had him on a few occasions, but he did a great job of staying composed to keep himself ahead of me.  It looked like Sucuri had a spin at the end of lap 2, so then he joined our little 4 way battle.  When we got DRS for the first time on lap 3, I used it to get closer than ever to making the pass on Falco, but still not quite.  Next lap I thought, but then my DRS failed!

On Lap 5, both Falco and I made a pass on Nael on Hangar Straight, but I still couldn't find a way past Falco with my DRS broken.  I was stuck behind him until he pitted on lap 8, when Sucuri also pitted.

I hoped that my counter strategy would be advantageous, not just from having clear track at this point in time, but also from the pace I'd have at the end on the new Soft tires.  I focused on putting in some solid laps.  Probably from lap 9 until I pitted on lap 16 was my only quiet period of the race, though I was so focused on pushing that it still felt intense.  The only car I saw during this period was Tron who caught and passed me after his pit stop - no fight from me.

Pitted from 4th on lap 16, but I made a huge mistake in getting a 5 second speeding penalty when entering the pits (although I did already have a 3 second corner cutting penalty at that point too).  When pitting, I saw Pat closing, and I pushed like crazy to stay ahead of him when exiting the pits, and manged to do so by the smallest of margins.  That was 9th after the pit stop.  With the fresh tires, I had some serious pace at this point, and was pushing like crazy to catch the guys ahead; a three way battle between iceman, Sucuri, and Mudd.  I was on Mudd's gearbox by lap 20, and was pressuring him at every opportunity, looking for a hint of a mistake, and a way past.  Around this same time, Sucuri & iceman had an incident, with Sucuri retiring, and iceman pitting.

By lap 22, I had made the pass on Mudd, a DRS assisted move down Hangar Straight.  I had thought (hoped) that would free me, and I'd be able to focus on the next car ahead, who was Megaman by about 7 seconds, but I couldn't break free of Mudd.  My engineer had told me Mudd was sitting on 9 seconds worth of penalties, while I was on 8, so I needed to make sure I didn't pick up another one.  Easier said than done, and sure enough, in no time at all, I'd acquired another 3 second penalty for a total of 11 seconds.  This meant I needed to finish 2 seconds ahead of Mudd to retain 6th position.  I was pushing like crazy, and had it at 1.8 seconds as we started the final sector of the final lap, but then I think I started worrying too much about KERS management, and running out of fuel, and I got super messy (I'm sure my tires were really worn by that point too), so Mudd caught right back up, and by the checkered flag, my penalties gave him back 6th place, and I'd finish 7th.

Summary

I'm totally okay with losing the position at the end, because that was maybe the most fun race of the season.  Certainly the most intense.  I think Silverstone by itself feels pretty intense, because of the speed, and it tends to lend itself to creating a feeling of always being on the limit, but then you throw in some great battles with that, and it gets a 10/10 for intensity.  It's so much fun to fit the fast tire at the end and push like crazy.  I know I wasn't very fast here, but I felt like I was in a bit of a zone, both when I was pressuring Falco early, and Mudd late.  Just felt really comfortable being right on their gearboxes and probing for passing opportunities.  I'm really surprised at my consistency when looking at my Race Director lap times too.

I won't be able to make next week's Hockenheim race, and then it's winter break, so I'll be back for the Hungaroring on January 2nd.  Have a great holiday!

Falco Bronzo

Race edit

Moogleslam I cannot agree more with you on this! What a battle we had in the first 1/3 of the race. I was sandwiched between N and Moogle attacking on that corner, defending on the other one. Really nice!
N a pleasure to fight with you also!

Still missing so much pace in this game, but this race was a lot of fun!!
Video recording is fixed, no more lagging so enjoy my POV.

https://youtu.be/vB3vBcfFe34

Fruitsalsa

[youtube]4abgXRr5jBE[/youtube]

Here is my perspective for the first lap of the race. As Moogle mentioned, I was really careful to avoid any kind of contact following last race in Austria. Still, I managed to go from 13th to 7th in the first lap, definitely my best start since the beginning of the season.

I had great pace during the race, comfortably sitting in 8th and moving 5th after the first wave of pit stops. Following my own pit stop a lap later for medium tires, I was in good shape to exit the pit lane back in 8th. Unfortunately, distracted by the minimap, ERS setting or whatever, I retook control over the car just to find myself spinning and hitting the barrier, damaging my front wing in the process... Had to go back to the pit the lap after, falling in 14th... The rest of the race was cruising around, trying to manage my second pair of soft (I refused to race on the hard compound), finishing the race at 70% wear on my front left tire. 

I am really disappointed that I missed my chance to score my first points this season  :(

Zephyr

moogleslam said:
Zephyr said:

We talked about this after the race a bit.  I think it's ridiculous that online races have random mechanical failures, especially a dangerous and potentially race ending one like this.  You should post video to the CM forums.  My DRS broke (wouldn't open) right after it first came available, and it stayed that way all through my first stint.  This prevented me from potentially overtaking the car in front of me for many laps in a row.  I also had this exact same failure in another recent race.  There is no place for this in online races.  Outcomes should be determined by driver skill and judgement alone.  Save the random failures for career mode.

I just dont understand why there is not an "esport" mode for online considering they now have an official league. It is just incredibly frustrating to practice for my 2nd favorite track of the season just to have some random BS from the game decide that its time for my race to end. It is not even like it was another car that caused it (Codemasters cant really account for that). Im fine with getting damage from collisions or engine damage from downshifting too hard but dont make some random number generator decide that.

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Hey Zephyr, I agree with Moogle. Can you please post your video ? I would like to post this on Codemasters for sure.

I can't believe DRS will stick open and risk someone to crash. DRS been disabled like Moogle doesn't risk a crash but having it open definitely will make someone crash for sure. I can see this happening in Career fine but in Online mode this shouldn't be happening for sure.

Really looking forward to see this.

Edit: How big was the crash ? Again no VSC or SC.

Bobino12

Premium Member
My DRS was disactivated during my first try in Qualif and Jeff told me they were working to fix after I come back into the pits. First time I see that. I suppose some others had similar hardware problems during this round in GB.

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Funny all those happening since the new patch. Someone at Code"masters" decided he knew what he was doing and tweaked the DRS failures.