Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2021 Season 2 Signups are open !

GT3 Sportscar Series is now full but we still have room in the Tuesday LMP2/GTE Sportscar Series for our sportscar enthusiasts.

For our NASCAR Drivers, we have a few more spots in the Sunday Cup Series and the Wednesday Truck Series is closed.

Our open wheel Indy Pro 2000 series also has a few spots left for Season 2.

Round 10: Detroit Grand Prix at Belle Isle (23 Aug)

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
  ​
Sponsor this circuit for only $6.95 USD

[circuit_7][/circuit_7]​

Time of day: Late Afternoon
Race Length: 30 minutes
Max Incidents: 30
Max. fuel: 100%
Start: Standing
Fast Repair: 1

Pre-Race Interview
1. Here we are. Final round. P1 has been locked up by Justin Tipton, but P2 is wide open. Who is your money on for the win and why?
2. Belle Isle is a new track, but also one that some of us would like to forget from pre-season action. Do you like this track? 
3. Have you signed up for Season 12 of the infamous PRL Thursday Series? No? Why not!?   http://precisionracingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2092

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Pre-race interview is up!

1. Here we are. Final round. P1 has been locked up by Justin Tipton, but P2 is wide open. Who is your money on for the win and why?
My money is on the one and only Gunner. Not only has he anchored this team, but he's Mr. Consistent. I don't see that changing here, unless someone forces it...

2. Belle Isle is a new track, but also one that some of us would like to forget from pre-season action. Do you like this track?  
I like it. Mostly because I was one of the few to keep it clean in the pre-season race. Doubt I can repeat this time around, but I will have to try. I really want that p5 finish!

3. Have you signed up for Season 12 of the infamous PRL Thursday Series?
I certainly did.

crich88848

Premium Member
Full Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
I'm not a betting man.

Love the track, but definitely need to put a few more laps in now that my skills have progressed since preseason.

3. Have you signed up for Season 12 of the infamous PRL Thursday Series? No? Why not!?   viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2092

Duh!

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
ME! I'm putting Gunner in the wall turn 1!

Nope... well yes... but nope.

3. Have you signed up for Season 12 of the infamous PRL Thursday Series? No? Why not!?
Kinda. I used my real name but it wasn't accepted.

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
1. My money is on the Wall. The Wall always wins!

2. When we first did this track in preseason it was pretty scary, but now with some better car control it's going to be a fun challenge. This track defenitly teaches you to be a better driver.

3. I will be there. I'm hoping for a bigger feild ~20 drivers. It looks like there is another super fast guy signed up so Justin may have some competition next season as well.

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Pre-Race Interview

I think Owen has it right, the walls will decide! This will be a tough one. I have been pushing the car harder and harder to try and stay ahead. On a track like this a small mistake will be hugely punishing.  So I can push, and hope to stay clean, or run confidently clean but be slower. Race time decision! (I guess I danced around the question. I'm in it to win it Paul, you are going down!) 

I do, it's very rewarding to get it right. Hopefully it does go better than preseason haha! 

3. Have you signed up for Season 12 of the infamous PRL Thursday Series? No? Why not!?  

Definitely have. I look forward to all the regulars new and old being on track, along with some new faces. This is a great group to run with and I wont be trading it in anytime soon! 

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
Ah crap Matt it's game time sir. I will be next to you from green to checkered hanky. The 3d fans will have never seen 30 mins straight of side by side. LOL just thought how funny that would be here but back to serious face. I'm gonna spank that ass like a high school prom queen. And if I do lose you... No worries there is always another lap I can sit and wait on :)

DeamingPie

Organizer
Full Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
I have found my self on the cusp of pulling 43's here. Race pace is a different story (mid to high 44's) thanks to the unforgiving nature of the walls and what appears to be wheels held together with silly putty... I swear if you just look at a wall wrong you get wheel damage.

Depending on what the events coordinator (wife) has planned, I may try and put up a session around 7PM tonight for a couple of hours. If there is enough interest I can throw one up regardless if I can make it or not if it will help.

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
DeamingPie said:
I have found my self on the cusp of pulling 43's here.  Race pace is a different story (mid to high 44's) thanks to the unforgiving nature of the walls and what appears to be wheels held together with silly putty... I swear if you just look at a wall wrong you get wheel damage.  

Depending on what the events coordinator (wife) has planned, I may try and put up a session around 7PM tonight for a couple of hours.  If there is enough interest I can throw one up regardless if I can make it or not if it will help.

Erik I will be on at 7pm. But it may be worth you keeping your own money and we just run in open practice sessions. We will not be able to be on the iracing discord server but can run with a channel on Iracing named PRL that way we can still chat. But if you do end up putting up a session I will be on. 

And lol on the silly putty. It def is not a forgiving track. 

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
Pre-Race Interview

Deep in my heart I'm still rooting for Paul.

But lets analyze it, shall we?  Paul is behind Gunner by 1 point.  So if they finish back to back Gunner can still tie it if he pulls off an incident free race.  And that's assuming they both finish on the podium.  So it really matters how many people show up this week.  If they find themselves 5th or lower, then Gunner could still lose the race to Paul but still win the championship on a bonus point.  On average Paul has 10 more incident points than Gunner per race.  With Gunner gaining 4 bonus points so far this season to Pauls....absolutely none.  On top of that, Paul hasn't finished ahead of G-Money since week 4.  Some might say he's over due...others might say that Gunner's been driving at the top of his game.

After last week we now know that Cash for Crash are issuing clear team orders.  So if Owen manages to find himself in front of Gunner (which he's managed to do much more often than Paul), he could possibly slow him down to be within striking distance of Paul.  On a narrow street circuit like this it would be hard for either of them to pass, but I wouldn't put it past them to try that sort of strategy.

One thing is for certain though, Blown Tranny Racing team mate Tyler Gore will not be a factor.  Because he'll be behind me and Chris.  I've got 3 points to make up to catch Tyler for 5th place.  Realistically, all I can hope for is for Tyler to wreck and end up way in the back.  Although, I could tie it up if Chris manages to finish between me and Tyler AND I pull off a clean race to get the bonus point.

Whoever wins, I just hope they have a good back and forth battle to finish out the season.  Paul's my guy, but Gunner has been driving really well over the past month.  So he would have really deserved it if he can pull it off!

I don't think I made it for this pre season race.  I really like the track, it's like our own little Monaco.  When you get into the rhythm of Sector 1 it's a whole lot of fun!  And driving through the fountain section with cars around you is super exciting!  Driving cleanly through chaos has always been my strong point.  But I'm currently running in the 47's, so I'm about 4 seconds off of Division 1 pace, but probably only about 2 seconds behind our front pack.  I think Chris is capable of running 46's, but as we all know he's his own worst enemy when it comes to hitting the wall.  I pulled off P9 in officials by starting from the pit and driving Miss Daisy around the streets of Detroit.  But our league races tend to have less drama than officials, so that may not even play a part.

Sure have!  We haven't heard word yet from the higher ups, but we expect White Flag Racing driver contract offers to be coming through after this week's race!

But yeah, I'm looking forward to continue racing for PRL.  We've got a real good group of guys here, and I'm hoping to recruit some more of us midfielders to fill out the back of the grid.  I'd really like to find someone to bridge the gap to Barnett.  He's been back there all season with no one to race him, and I worry that we might lose guys like him if it keeps on like that.  Thanks for hangin' in there Daniel!

So we're working on up-ing the production on race replays.  First things first is getting a leader board and a lap counter over lay.  I've downloaded ATVO and I'm slowly trying to figure it out, but if anyone has any experience with broadcast overlays please let me know because the learning curve seems pretty steep!  The resolution of the videos should also get much better for next season.  Maybe if we can get the pre race interviews done for Saturday I can start writing a mid-week lead up article for the race....maybe post it around in the forums and try to lure some people over...

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
LoL sorry Chris, i was just going off of the laps you ran in that practice session i was in. Either way, you’re faster than me. But for real, the sponsors would like it if you didn’t crash this week...

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
Did you jump in a race right after that session? Mine had 3 splits but i didn’t see you in any of them. Then i go to your profile and it says you were in a race, and the same guy that won mine won yours. But it was only two splits....so I’m guessing you ran the race after mine?

DeamingPie

Organizer
Full Name
Erik Luke
iRacing ID
crich88848 said:
No way I'm getting into the 1:43s, but I'm consistently running 1:45s with the occasional 1:44.

Turn 1, 2 and 6 are paramount.

I have found taking turn 2 in 4th gear allows you to get on the gas sooner without being pushed too wide into the wall.  The car will sound like it wants to be in 3rd gear, ignore it.  Turn 6 you have to compromise corner speed for exit drive.  Turn 12 and 13 (final two right handers before the kink at start/finish) are deceptive.  Take 12 slower than you really can.  The reason is if you blast through 12 at high speed you have to scrub speed to take 13.  Enter 12 slower and you can stay on the gas from exit of 12 all the way through 13 into turn 1.  It will take several attempts to figure out exactly how fast you can go into 12 and be able to stay on the gas to turn one.  Be prepared to go through a dozen set of wheels as you slam off the wall on exit at 13 while figuring it out. 

I am not saying this is the be all end all to a fast lap, and there may be better ways to approach, but doing this dropped my times from mid 45's to low 44's.  My best time is a 1:44.2XX with an optimum of 1:39.6xx.

Of course Justin is probably kicking back going "I run 41's while texting, drinking a beer and watching reruns of Family Guy".   :mrgreen: