Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Round 1: Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (21 Jun)

jeromef1

Director
Staff member
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Canadian_Tire_Motorsports.png
 ​
Sponsor this circuit for only $6.95 USD

[circuit_7][/circuit_7]​

Time of day: Late Afternoon
Race Length: 30 minutes
Max Incidents: 30
Max. fuel: 100%
Start: Standing
Fast Repair: 1

Pre-Race Interview:
1. New season, new car, new faces! Tell us a little bit about yourself - what are you hoping to achieve this season?
2. This week we are on PRL's home soil at Mosport in Canada. What do you like or dislike about this car/track combination?
3. The skippy can be a bit challenging to master - specifically the transmission if you are used to driving a more advanced race car. Do you use the auto-clutch or auto-blip driving aids?

TRG

Director
Staff member
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2021/S4
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Pre-race interview is up!

Unfortunately, due to vacation plans I have to miss this race. My plane lands back home right as you guys will be finishing. I'll try to drop in on TS to get a recap. Have a great race gents. For the newcomers - show up early to be sure you have your car number set in iRacing, as well as separate push-to-talk buttons for TeamSpeak and iRacing chat.

See you all at the Nurburgring!

Gunner

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Pre-Race Interview:
1. New season, new car, new faces! Tell us a little bit about yourself - what are you hoping to achieve this season?

I am hoping to achieve complete and utter dominance! hahaha but really, I think top 5 would be optimistic, but its what I like to shoot for. I wish I had as much time to practice like I did when we ran the Pro Mazda, but oh well, as long as I can drive safely I will stay here for the fun.

2. This week we are on PRL's home soil at Mosport in Canada. What do you like or dislike about this car/track combination?

I actually don't mind this track at all. Takes a good flow to be fast I feel. Although the uphill back straight is a struggle in these low powered cars!

3. The skippy can be a bit challenging to master - specifically the transmission if you are used to driving a more advanced race car. Do you use the auto-clutch or auto-blip driving aids?

It is definitely different than what I am used to, so still trying to change my driving a bit to suit it. I have not been using auto blip or clutch. I hear it is faster, but every once in a while I do miss an upshift by not lifting off enough.

crich88848

Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
I have no goals for this season. I set my standards low so I never disappoint myself. :|  Seriously though, I just hope to have some fun and look forward to some good clean racing. Maybe make a few friends along the way.

Never raced here before. Have put in a few test laps and actually really digging the layout so far. Turns 5 and 6 are a little tricky but pretty awesome when you nail it just right.

I use auto-clutch. Haven't really experimented with this yet.

DaveS

Name
I love this track, it's got just about every type of corner a racer could ask for. Turn 2, 5 & 6 I find really challenging, I did a search on YouTube and found a few really good track guide video's of multiple tracks using the Skippy. I use no assistants when it comes to shifting, it feels more realistic to me and from what I've read it's supposed to be a little faster than auto clutch.

CajunGrit

Manager
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
David Hebert
iRacing ID
Pre-Race Interview:

Looking around at the competition, i look to be one of the slower guys in the field. So realistically I’m hoping to break the top 10. Also looking forward to the team battle. Me and Chris will be looking to pull together as many points as possible to really take the fight to some of the more experienced drivers in the field. We’ve got a beautiful car that Chris showed some real pace in last night at Okayama. A blown engine took me out of a really fun three car battle for 4th-6th, but hopefully the bad luck is behind me. Should be a good group of guys, hope to keep it close and clean. That being said, expect me to go for the gaps and not hand over positions. All in all I’m looking to have fun, put on a good show and pretend to be a real racing driver!

Mosport is one of my favorite tracks! They’ve got the best fans in the world here! Plenty of high speed corners, with a couple hard braking zones. And there should be plenty of opportunity for overtakes going into turns 5 & 6. If you get those wrong you really pay for it on the straights. The Skippy loves to draft if you can stay within a second of the guy ahead of you. All in all it’s a beautiful track!

I’ve been focusing on the skippy for quite a while. I’ve dipped my feet into the GT cars, and dabbled a little in the faster open wheel cars. But the Skip Barber series is my home. The community is huge, races run every hour, and there’s always a full grid and close racing. What’s not to love?

I’m an auto blip guy. I hear it’s faster to do it manually, but I’ve been getting faster with each passing season and i haven’t seen a plateau in performance yet. So I’ll stick to the auto blips...unless i get taught or peer pressured into it 😉 After all, I’m here to learn!

paulwildridge

Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
How in the world am I suppose to follow up Dave's write up?!?!?!?!

Well my name is Paul and the best way to describe me is I am an Ogre with a tiny bit of finesse.
Anyways, this is a great core group of guys and I really am liking the additions. The goal for this season is 2nd in driver's championship and 1st in team. I do not expect to meet it but am going to work for it. I would like to win the elusive championship (that i lost in my first season thanks to a comp crash in the final race) but I know keeping up with Justin is going to be hard. I think there is going to be some of the hardest racing in PRL as a whole this season and can't wait. I am expecting a top 2 at mid-o as it sounds like there will only be 2 drivers there lol. But can't wait for the fun, smack talk and maybe a crash into Matt.

Driven Mosport once and loved it. Was in a much more powerful gt machine which makes it enjoyable to be able to put some power down but it will be a challenge with the Skippy. I run lo206 karts in real life so the concept of momentum is understood but just need more talent to do what my brain tells me. And this track will be the test. COME HERE MATT!

Was auto-blip but have changed to full manual. I struggle with the occasional miss-shift due to not lifting enough but it is quicker. I really advise learning it as there are usually only a couple spots that need the blip unless what was discussed last night about using the downshift to rotate is the key. Anyway bored at work so I am rambling. See you guys Thurs if not sooner and let's get a train to railroad Justin and hold him behind us.

mclachlanol

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
1. Just looking for good fun racing. Probably try and shoot for the podium for every race but I definitely need to make sure I at least finish the race first.

2. Mosport is a fun track but I never raced this car here before. It will be interesting to see how turn 2 is with the Skippy. The double right hander before the back stretch has always been my nemesis. I don't think I have ever learned how to get that corner right.

3. I turned off all the aids and I mapped a clutch button to the wheel. I'm starting to get used to it but I ocasoccasion miss an up shift. I'm manually blipping when downshifting although I can't tell if it is any faster. It does feel like the car settles a bit better though and it prevents me from downshifting too fast so I probably stick with blipping for the season.

crich88848

Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
Sounds like I need to figure out this manual thingy. Maybe that will get me those extra tenths I'm always after.

paulwildridge

Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
I will tell you I, atleast think I can, tell when someone isn't using it on the straights or even starts as I feel like I am faster. And yes I understand the draft but its not at higher speeds.

crich88848

Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
I'll give it a go and see how it works out. At what point do you blip? Do you do it before the downshift or try to do it at the same time? When do you use it? Only under hard braking?

mclachlanol

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
Do it at the same time as you shift and I do it every time as a matter of habbit. It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it.

bonaduce

Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Daniel Barnett
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. New season, new car, new faces! Tell us a little bit about yourself - what are you hoping to achieve this season?[/font]
   Only hoping to have fun, after sitting on the side lines for the last 2.5 month's waiting on a repaired wheel base, I am a little edgy/aggressive in my approach, I need to get this out of my system before next week.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2. This week we are on PRL's home soil at Mosport in Canada. What do you like or dislike about this car/track combination?[/font]
   I hated this track the first time I ran it in the skippy, now one of my favorites, I love turn 2 at speed for a good setup to 3, 5/6 still gets me once and while as I forget to down shift into 6

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3. The skippy can be a bit challenging to master - specifically the transmission if you are used to driving a more advanced race car. Do you use the auto-clutch or auto-blip driving aids?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]   I use the autoblip, don't think I really need it as I don't really use the engine to slow me down, I rely alot on trying to outbrake into the corner.  I will downshift in a corner to help rotate the skippy, turn 3 okyama.[/font]

mclachlanol

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
I got to try and practice that. I spent the whole time in Iracing avoiding downshifting in the corner cause it unsettled the car, especially the Pro Mazda, but it seems like that's what the fast Skippy drivers are doing.

crich88848

Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
Thanks a lot guys. Took about 20 laps to get used to. After that proceeded to shave off 3 tenths on my best lap with auto clutch.

DaveS

Name
I was going to host a practice session tonight but will not be able to but will put one up tomorrow night if there are people that would like to do some practicing.

DaveS

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Be careful at turn 8 boys. 

http://canoe.com/sports/auto-racing/illinois-race-car-driver-61-dead-following-crash-on-bowmanville-ont-track/wcm/7ee8719b-467b-45a0-997c-46825edc4858

crich88848

Formula 3 Series 2021/S4
Name
Christopher Richards
iRacing ID
I'd be interested also depending on time and the time of my son's baseball game.