Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Request to refine the penalty system to improve driver standards

Sassy_McSassypants

Name
Pete Mobroten
iRacing ID
I'd like to open a conversation about how PRL can encourage consistently high driver standards from season to season.

S16 was the best season I've run to date! The new protest and penalty system had a lot to do with that. It added a whole new level of investment in the driver and team championships I didn't have before. I don't agree with all decisions but I felt they were fair and transparent in their reasoning. This feels like a really good direction for the league and I'm excited to see how it can be refined.

That said... Some work has to be put into encouraging improved on-track driver standards when in-season penalties prove ineffective.

Consider the following purely hypothetical scenario...  Say at the end of a season two drivers (out of 40) are responsible for 25% of the penalty incidents while being "involved" in several more, one of them draws nearly three times the awarded penalty points compared to the next highest offender despite only running seven races, and both of those drivers are on the same team...  If it continues, it must be addressed with more than penalty points or single-week disqualifications.

There is precedent for future-season consequences when failing to meet driver expectations. If you do not meet participation requirements for your last PRL season you are automatically placed on the waiting list for the next season you sign up for.

I'm not sure about the best mechanism for responding to habitual on-track behavior issues, but I strongly feel there needs to be some kind of season-to-season consideration. The best solution would encourage drivers to improve instead of flat out excluding them. PRL has been instrumental for my own driver development and I'd like to see others reap similar rewards. If they cannot or will not improve then they should be removed from the track indefinitely, but that's far from preferred.

Thoughts?

Hootius

Director
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S3
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S4
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S4
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Thank you for bringing up this topic in this manner Pete. I definitely welcome the feedback of what you guys would think to help improve the situation. I agree the increase in points penalties did help in a sense, but I still saw way more protests than I would have liked to seen to be honest for this league. I know you guys by far have the biggest fields in the PRL and that's only going to make the likelihood of protests more common, so I understand that.

Back to 1 thing that you mentioned, there is something in the Stewarding section that adresses that season to season carry over. Maybe it needs to be toughened up, but this will be our 1st time really seeing it work in place. So what happens is if a driver gets multiple major penalties, which we had one driver who served a 1 race ban this past season for, he automatically starts out with a strike against him the next season. So if that driver gets his 1st major penalty in this coming up season, he automatically sits for a race, and a second major penalty parks him for the season. And any driver that gets parked for a season for multiple major penalties, they lose their returning driver status on the next season and they have to wait in line like if they were a new driver.

For drivers who just may have received one major penalty in a season, I haven't had that as a carry over penalty yet because we're all human and a mistake can happen. Maybe we might wanna look at something in place is if a driver gets maybe 1 major penalty a couple seasons in a row or something like that. That's definitely something we can look at.

It's a good discussion to have and again, I welcome your feedback. I am also overdue making a graphic for the Stewarding section that lays out the points scales for Minor/Majors for specific violations, so I need to get that for you all as well to make it more transparent, and get feedback if certain categories are too soft or whatnot.

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Two things to add :)

1 - We have a project at PRL to include a licence system within the forum. That way, penalty will be added across all PRL championships! But don't get excited, we don't have a release date yet! Actually, we are working on migrating the website to another host, more stable and with more services!

2 - To be consider as a returning driver, the driver must have race 5 races in the season. Should this be revisit? It wouldn't be a bad idea!

Kirru

Premium Member
Name
Cory
iRacing ID
jeromef1 said:
Two things to add :)

1 - We have a project at PRL to include a licence system within the forum. That way, penalty will be added across all PRL championships! But don't get excited, we don't have a release date yet! Actually, we are working on migrating the website to another host, more stable and with more services!

2 - To be consider as a returning driver, the driver must have race 5 races in the season. Should this be revisit? It wouldn't be a bad idea!

#soon
You following iRacing's theme of teasing us now? 😄

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
tenor.gif

Sassy_McSassypants

Name
Pete Mobroten
iRacing ID
Typical Sassy... starts a thread and doesn't follow up. Some people...

The carry-over is a good start but I'd like to see something that address people that seem to constantly be drawing penalties or involved in altercations. It's a delicate balance between encouraging people to race hard and discouraging questionable behavior. But if you're "involved" in something every other race... that should raise some questions about whether "real" penalties should only be reserved for major incidents.