Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Racing Rigs, Gear, and Software Discussion

Gunner

Organizer
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Oh yeah, I'm on this.  Now I know my setup is super high-tech, and everyone might not feel up to par after seeing this, but that's just the way it is  :lol:

EDIT because I'm too dumb to properly attach the photos.  Here is the link  https://imgur.com/a/E0VCr

Take note of the strategically placed dog bed under the chair so I don't roll away under heavy braking.  Also highschool yearbooks bring my monitor up to the ideal speed simulation height.  Empty glass for "racing fuel".  4$ microphone from amazon so you all have to hear me.

Ok ok so its pretty low tech, but it is what I have haha.  The Logitech G27 works well enough for me.  I wish the pedals were a bit better, but I just can't justify shelling out the cash for better stuff for the time being.  I upgraded a while back to a 32" ASUS 1440P 60hz monitor which actually helped loads.  Otherwise its all on the cheap besides the headphones I bought on a boxing day sale years ago, sound great (Sennheiser HD 280 pro)

I likely won't ever build a full on "rig" due to space limitations in my house, but in the future if I upgrade my PC I can see myself going VR once the resolution is a bit better.

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Okay, so here is my setup. Simucube based OSW w/ a cheap ebay rim and an Ascher Racing button plate. The pedals are ProtosimTech PT-1's (love these pedals). The rig is a semi-custom design from OpenSimRigs. The PC is a i5-6700k/16gb/GTX1070 with 3x 32" 1440p 60hz Asus monitors. You will notice a Rift on the floor.... I prefer triples to be honest.

It currently lives in the unfinished frozen basement of my house. What you don't see is the heated blanket I often have to use to stay warm down here! The rubbermaid tubs will be replaced soon with additional 8020 framing to complete the setup.

OotIQiu.jpg

d34wGUA.jpg

tpCzWi9.jpg

paulwildridge

Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
Tyler that rig is awesome! 
The 90's I use for my rig were free from work so that is why i use them lol. But they are def strong enough. I also used the steel plate that my wheel is on for extra rigidity and it has really helped. I also am in the cold basement but I get hot super easy so it works for me lol. 
Did the rift make you sick? Or is there another reason you don't use it? 

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Thanks Paul. I definitely will not be allowed to buy any more gear for another half decade!

The rift is great for immersion. I did not experience any sickness effects when racing. I did have some nausea with a stupid rollercoaster ride that I tried, but otherwise rock solid. I ran the rift for quite a few races last season but eventually I found that the resolution (screen door effect) was impacting my ability to judge apexes quick enough. I found that I would be playing catch-up with the car and it started to impact driving accuracy. The Pimax 8k headsets are promising, but I don't know if I will go that route. Triples work well for me and I like that I can use the PC for other things as well.

Carsten Quint

Premium Member
Name
Carsten Quint
iRacing ID
Here is mine.  No DIY on this setup, other than bolting components onto the rig.  GTOmega pro rig with triple monitor stand.  I went back to single monitor for now though since I prefer the higher framerates I get with that.   Was getting sub 40 fps drops with triples.  Fanatec CSL Elite wheelbase with BMW Rim, also have the Formula Carbon rim.  Clubsport v3 pedals and the Clubsport shifter SQ.  I plan on upgrading to VR sometime this year.

Attachments

• 20180122_182714.jpg
    20180122_182714.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 227

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Nice!! If you're not liking the fps drops with triples, you'll want to upgrade your GPU before going VR.

Also, I see that your screen is showing the logo for your secret favourite team...

TRG

Director
Staff member
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Come to SK. You can take mine for a spin in VR, then on the triples and make up your own mind. I really want to get my hands on an 8k headset, but the hardware to run it at 90hz doesn't even exist yet...

One word of caution, as noted above, is that you can't really run any additional apps such as iRPitCrew all that well. It can run in the background, but the interface is useless. I would think that running endurance wouldn't be as fun. When you load up the sim it will ask you to choose VR or not... so when you jump out of the car you'd have to restart the sim/session on your monitor if you want to sit and watch. I can't see anyone sitting and watching someone else drive with a headset on.