Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Race 5: Atlanta Motor Speedway (Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S2
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S2
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Atlanta Motor Speedway - Oval.png

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Race Length: 80[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Max Incidents: 24[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Fuel Limit: 100%[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Start: Rolling[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Fast Repair: 0[/font]

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Hey everyone. No pre-race questions this week, instead I want to give an address to the league and a bit of a mission statement moving forward for the remainder of the season. It's been a rough season to start, and last week we had a bit of a boiling point. Let's look at the season as a whole real quick:
[ul]
[li]Race #1 was Talladega, we all know Talladega is a bit of a crapshoot and I still feel like there was a couple cautions that happened that really should not have happened, but overall it was the first race with a new bunch of guys so be that as it may. [/li]
[li]Race #2 Iowa, this came with the little asterisks as well because the Chevy guys pretty much had no practice due to that set up glitch. A bunch of cuations, but hey that was what it was. [/li]
[li]Race #3 was Eldora, I think that's enough said. [/li]
[li]Then we got the last week at Michigan. Easy set-up, easy track, wide open track, and what we had honestly was an embarrassment. **Though I will say this right now, what we had after the race I found will more embarrassing than during the race and I will address that as well.** [/li]
[/ul]
While I can see how the first few races unfolded the way they did, we have to improve our racecraft as a league. When we started this caution system a couple seasons ago, it is about a 50/50 split between cautions that were caused by loss of control, and cautions caused by contact. It's pretty heavy now in the favor of cautions caused by contact. We have to be more respectful, we have to give and take more, we will only get better if we all make a strive to do the little things that will make us better. With that being said, there's been a lot of thought into our caution system and what we need to do because what we have in place it's not limiting cautions. Now we actually do have our first race suspension, but by no means is this going to fix our of our problems by having one less guy for 1 week. We have over half of the roster who's accumulated at least 0.5 points. That number is ridiculous. 

So what we've done so far is kind of given 0.5 points for a bit of a racing deal between 2 drivers, a 1.0 to somebody being clearly at fault, and then giving an extra 0.5 point for something that was really rough and should have been avoided. Also giving out 0.5 points for protested contact and for people not locking up brakes and other things of that nature. What it comes down to is if we have to give more 1.5 point caution penalties, that's what we'll do. Instead of the 50/50s, if we have to start giving full points for people who are hanging on the other people's quaterpanels, that's what we'll do. Full points for peeps not properly locking brakes, or just plowing into a wreck Days of Thunder style because you tried to be a hero and not check up.

I don't want to do this. I don't take pride in giving Stewarding penalties. I take pride in my race craft, my race knowledge, and wanting to do the best things for this league and its future. This is become babysitting, and that's sad because we're all paying adults here. Along those lines as well, there is absolutely no wiggle room for anybody in my leagues to lose their cool the way that we have seen here lately. That goes for chat inside of iRacing, actions in the track at any point, and that goes for actions on the forums. If I feel embarrassed by what somebody does on my forms or inside iRacing (Example, no acting like a tough guy under caution or "sending a message using your fender" crap), I will park you for the rest of the season. It's as simple as that and it is my call to make if I feel it is for the best of the league. So that's the one and only warning that the entire league is getting. We also have been having too much chatter while under caution and we can't get important information out. If I call for comms to clear and people continue to talk, I'll have to start dish out penalties as well for that too. we have 6 races left in this season and a bunch of tracks that should have some very competitive races for the broadcast. Let's shine. Let's show why we deserve to be on IESN like our road brethren on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Now, lets talk Atlanta. For those who have not done an official race, let me announce now that this setup does not promote good racing. It is easy to drive, and very hard to pass unless someone makes a mistake. So I will be holding pit parties in the practice about every 15 minutes or so once I get on. I dont want to deter anyone from making solo runs, but lets face it, pack practice will be more important as we get closer to race time. So keep that in mind, lets get quality group laps in, and lets all understand what it will take with this setup to put on the quality type of race we have all been waiting to see out of us this season.

DominicBegin

Name
Dominic Bégin
iRacing ID
Let's get a good one tonight. There is no reason for somebody wrecking by himself tonight guys. I did 3 races this week and the tire model makes it almost impossible to wreck until 25-30 green laps.

modern_knight

Premium Member
Name
Daniel Knight
iRacing ID
DominicBegin said:
Let's get a good one tonight. There is no reason for somebody wrecking by himself tonight guys. I did 3 races this week and the tire model makes it almost impossible to wreck until 25-30 green laps.

That kind of makes me sad. I enjoyed the ice skating spectacle that Atlanta produced recently. Now I can't blame the lack of grip when Bradley drives off into the sunset in front of me.

crazygoalie39

Name
modern_knight said:
DominicBegin said:

That kind of makes me sad. I enjoyed the ice skating spectacle that Atlanta produced recently. Now I can't blame the lack of grip when Bradley drives off into the sunset in front of me.

Haha. Yeah, it's pretty disappointing that the one of, if not the most, abrasive tracks has negligble tire wear and is full throttle until at least over 20 laps into a run. I've always loved Atlanta for how loose it gets and hard to drive on the long run and this isn't that at all anymore.

Bradley Holly

Organizer
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Bradley Holly
iRacing ID
modern_knight said:
DominicBegin said:

I miss it to 

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
I'm not that good with a sliding truck, but the challenge was fun. Having all this grip is one thing, but I feel the lack of HP and not being able to make a high side run is the most disappointing part of tonight's setup. I was shocked at that when I did an official race last night.

DominicBegin

Name
Dominic Bégin
iRacing ID
Hootius said:
I'm not that good with a sliding truck, but the challenge was fun. Having all this grip is one thing, but I feel the lack of HP and not being able to make a high side run is the most disappointing part of tonight's setup. I was shocked at that when I did an official race last night.

To be Honest, I think Iracing pretty much messed Up the trucks. If we get 25 green laps it is where saving tires gets useful. Under That well...

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
The HP issue comes from Nascar mainly (though iRacing could loosen up the setup). Same thing with Cup as well. These current race packages are to promote closer racing. Fingers crossed that the 2021 new models make the cars not so glued to the track and it goes back to driver's being able to wheel it again.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Hey everyone, I'm incredibly annoyed to say this because I double checked this very thing last week after the race. Both trucks have the exact same setup name, but yet again the setups are not similar and the Chevy's are screwed up. So we're gonna have to make another lobby tonight.

Obviously making sure the set up names are the same is not good enough, so after the race tonight I will delete every planned session that we have on the oval side and I will remake them all. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

fotors3

Premium Member
Name
Brandon
iRacing ID
I'm sorry to do this, but I am taking a bit of a hiatus from PRL. The only race I haven't been involved in people's incidents between this series and the Sunday series is Eldora. Other than that, it has been a disaster for me. I hope everyone has a good rest of the season.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Nothing else to say peeps. Every single wreck was avoidable. Every single one could have been prevented with patience and giving room. Lapses of judgement and people doing stupid moves and wrecks happening for no reason.

DominicBegin

Name
Dominic Bégin
iRacing ID
npruitt731 said:
Just reviewed the broadcast. Sadly the commentators are literally laughing at the league after the lap 20 big one.

I got absolutly killed after that wreck for someone not braking. I guess we did not say it enough… I am at a loss of words atm.

Cuauhtli 5

Premium Member
Name
Joshua Tellez
iRacing ID
npruitt731 said:
Just reviewed the broadcast. Sadly the commentators are literally laughing at the league after the lap 20 big one.

They werent laughing at the race. I think they did a good job. They were shocked to continue to see so many cautions, unfortunately. The only thing they laughed at was smith flying down pit row through the pit stalls and the ALT-F4 out of the race. 

tcallahan707

Name
Cuauhtli 5 said:
npruitt731 said:

They werent laughing at the race. I think they did a good job. They were shocked to continue to see so many cautions, unfortunately. The only thing they laughed at was smith flying down pit row through the pit stalls and the ALT-F4 out of the race. 

I thought they did a good job too. Good bounce back Paul.

DominicBegin

Name
Dominic Bégin
iRacing ID
Cuauhtli 5 said:
npruitt731 said:

I think they actualy were laughting at some point because of how many cautions we had at Atlanta. Sucks but it is kinda true to have that much cautions there is kinda bad

Trevor Clement

Name
I made a short video showing ARCA Brakes from tonight's race. This is not meant in any way to call anyone out, we're all guilty of it sometimes and I am certainly guilty of it myself at times. However, I just see more people getting wrecked out than need to be during a caution and it's clear some people don't realize they are adding to the fire after a wreck.

I apologize for my lack of video skills:

https://youtu.be/b2Puqkt8R-o

Status
Not open for further replies.