Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Race 3: Eldora Speedway (Jan 8)

Hootius

Director
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S3
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S4
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S4
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Eldora_Speedway.png

[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Race Length: 100[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Max Incidents: 24[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Fuel Limit: 100%[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Start: Rolling[/font]
[font=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Fast Repair: 0[/font]

NexusPaul

Name
I'm assuming this race will not have heat races? Im wondering how that will work with so many people. There will be so many cautions.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
I will make an official post tonight about the race format once I know that I can set up the lobby exactly how we would like. In the past we have only done straight races with the lap/timer like every other race we do.

With the feedback from many drivers and the thoughts of the organizers and myself, we are looking to do Heats, LCQ and a Main (with a reduced field) for just Eldora only. I will post the exact details later this evening. Just posting this now to give more of a heads up and to hear any feedback from anyone who might be against this.

crazygoalie39

Name
The real Eldora truck race is not heats and is just run like any other race, so I'm not sure what the point of making it less realistic and running heats would be.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
They actually do Heats as well as a LCQ and limit the field in the Main for the real life Derby.

chatley59

Premium Member
Name
Brenden Chatley2
iRacing ID
crazygoalie39 said:
The real Eldora truck race is not heats and is just run like any other race, so I'm not sure what the point of making it less realistic and running heats would be.

They qualify, then are placed in heats based off their qualifying order, heats are run (top 5 from each of the 5 races make the main event), then a last chance qualifier puts in the rest minus those in on owner points. Then the main event. 

In actuality, we’d be doing what they do instead of running our normal race.

crazygoalie39

Name
chatley59 said:
crazygoalie39 said:

They qualify, then are placed in heats based off their qualifying order, heats are run (top 5 from each of the 5 races make the main event), then a last chance qualifier puts in the rest minus those in on owner points. Then the main event. 

https://youtu.be/eIrYVr6aT_g  Where's the heats?

chatley59

Premium Member
Name
Brenden Chatley2
iRacing ID
crazygoalie39 said:
chatley59 said:
crazygoalie39 said:

https://youtu.be/eIrYVr6aT_g  Where's the heats?

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/07/15/eldora-truck-series-race-format-explained/

I’d trust nascar more than a YouTube video that obviously only shows the main event

crazygoalie39

Name
Literally everyone from last chance qualifier made the race last year, so that's pointless. I'm still not seeing a point to shorten the main event. If we're even doing two heats and a last chance, that's going to take like 20-30 mins, so the main would only be like 30 mins and there will be cautions, so it'll be a sprint race since we're on a tight time schedule. Not even close to being like the 150 lap test they have in real life.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
The fact is in the past, Eldora has been a horrible caution fest for us. Not many guys are dirt guys, and these trucks are far from something as easy as Street Stocks. We wouldn't look to make this change unless we feel it's what is best for the league, so its not a literal pace fest.

If we get so few show up that it's less than our target amount of drivers, than it is what it is. However, if we can turn this event that most fear is going to be a waste of time into something that the majority is now intrigued about, then we should look into it. You take away the stage breaks, this race is shorter than asphalt races that the trucks do. So if we target 30 mins of green instead of our asphalt 45 mins of green, that falls in line as well.

ColtonLayne

Premium Member
Name
Colton Layne
iRacing ID
crazygoalie39 said:
Literally everyone from last chance qualifier made the race last year, so that's pointless. I'm still not seeing a point to shorten the main event. If we're even doing two heats and a last chance, that's going to take like 20-30 mins, so the main would only be like 30 mins and there will be cautions, so it'll be a sprint race since we're on a tight time schedule. Not even close to being like the 150 lap test they have in real life.
Everyone may have made it last year becuase of less trucks showing up but in years past plenty of people have had to miss the race because they didnt race their way in. They broadcast the heat races around 2 hours before the main event so that's why in your video example there were no heat races. 

I for one am happy about the change because they limit the field in real life for a reason. 40 trucks on Eldora would be carnage for the real drivers much less us on a video game (I hear you all groaning now "ITS NOT A GAME ITS A SIMULATION REEEEEEEEE")

Let's just hope we dont have a caution fest so we can do some racing and not pacing.

crazygoalie39

Name
The field is 32 at Eldora, just like all the other races. The only reason they have the heats earlier in the day is because there were enough entries when it first started that they'd have more than a full field. All this is going to do is promote wrecks because of limited time to do anyting. It's like turning Dega or Daytona into a 20 lap sprint race. It's go time from the start.

chatley59

Premium Member
Name
Brenden Chatley2
iRacing ID
that’s why we have a caution point system. Last time we were at eldora, we finished the 100 lap race in 45 minutes. We had 22 drivers and 6 or 7 cautions. So still way less than our hour limit. Heats will reduce the field from potentially 42 to 28 and 30 minutes for the main event will give us 65-75 laps of racing if we’re on par from last time. Which 75 laps is half the real race and we normally run roughly half a real race, time and lap wise

Hootius

Director
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Because the fact we even brought this up in the first place says we think we need extra steps to put on the best possible event for our drivers and fans of the broadcast. I still believe in the caution system, but I've stated many times that it's still not perfect and we are still looking for the right balance.

The fact this convo has even gone this far is because of statements that seemed to just undermine what we were trying to accomplish in the first place. Sorry if that feels like a call out Mike, but quite simply that's what it felt like to us with your points that just countered themselves. For anyone else who wants to chip in, if you dont like, then fine. That's all I'm looking for.

If the majority of the field likes the idea, then rock and roll. If the majority of the league doesn't, then it's not worth it. It's just that simple.

ahunter27t

Premium Member
Name
Austin Hunter
iRacing ID
I think it’s a fantastic idea. Kudos to the admins for making the change. If anyone doesn’t like it. There’s always a drop week!

crazygoalie39

Name
I'm all for having heats before the broadcast, but seems like a waste of time to send like 10 people home just to cut the main race in half.  If the point is the reduce cautions, which is what I'm being told but then also being told the caution points should take care of it so i'm not sure exactly what the point is, I REALLY don't see how shortening the races will help cautions.  Why not just turn manual cautions on so the caution doesn't fly automatically for single car spins and things that aren't blocking the track like they do IRL?

Burnhakp

Name
As someone that is not great at truck dirt racing, I don’t like the idea of possibly DQing for a race I paid for.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S3
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Apologies for this not going up last night like originally planned, life intervened.  Here is the planned setup for the lobby for Eldora only:

Qualifying starting at 8:55pm. Still the same 2 lap, 5 minute format. Qualifying will be used to set the line ups of the heat races.

3 Heats: 14 drivers max, 10 laps or 5 minutes. Top 7 finishers in each Heat move to the Main.

LCQ Race: All drivers who did not finish in the Top 7 of the Heats. 12 laps or 5 minutes. Top 7 finishers move on to the Main.

Main Race: 28 drivers. 75 laps or 30 minutes.

Unfortunately iRacing removed the feature to have caution laps not count, so please keep that in mind throughout the night, especially in the Heat/LCQ. All cautions will be tracked as usual, and protest can be requested as well. Here is the big difference with cautions though, it will be Admin cautions and not sim generated cautions. PRL Steward Nick Delp will admin for us, and will be joined by myself or organizers if we are not in a Heat or in the Main. Simple solo spins will not be a caution unless you are stopped in a dangerous area. Clusters with drivers bouncing all off each other but no one ends up going around will not be a caution.

With this setup, we can fit the Main in with server time and giving GSRC time before their next broadcast. The one ask that I have for everyone is please not lollygag in quali or on the ready up screen. The quicker we get through those moments, the more the night will flow and keep everyone in a groove.