Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Preseason Race 1: France - Circuit Paul Ricard (05Sep18 @ 9pm EDT))

AaronWebb85

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Aaron Webb
iRacing ID
France.png

moogleslam

Premium Member
Oh, you had to pick a circuit I've never raced on! :p  I only just learned Baku over the last couple of days!

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
moogleslam said:
Oh, you had to pick a circuit I've never raced on! :p  I only just learned Baku over the last couple of days!

It is new for everyone so that's better for you no ? ;)

moogleslam

Premium Member
Darklol said:
moogleslam said:

It is new for everyone so that's better for you no ? ;)

I guess that's a good point!

Has this ever been in any sim before?

moogleslam

Premium Member
Do we get a racing line because it's pre-season? (not entirely serious, but not entirely not....) :)

moogleslam

Premium Member
Is it just me, or is this circuit awful at defining track limits. Sometimes I'm way inside the lines and I get a penalty, and other times, I'm way outside, and nothing. I haven't noticed any other track be this bad.

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Yes, the track limits is broken on all platforms. This is why you see crazy lap times in TT you can go around the track outside the track limits and complete the lap.

So everyone needs to keep at least 2 tires on the track at all times until Codemasters pushes an update to fix this. I'm sure I can trust everyone to be fair even if this is pre-season. If it's not fixed in time for the official race we can have the option to either delay it or simply have people submit reports to the stewards about any one abusing the track limits.

We will see when we get there !

LAcadien

Premium Member
i wish we could have the corner only line.. its the only way i can make a descent time.. and for those who dont like it well just turn it off.. simple! :p

Plasmaraider

LAcadien said:
i wish we could have the corner only line.. its the only way i can make a descent time.. and for those who dont like it well just turn it off.. simple! :p

Yea but then wheres the point in all the practice. I could easily do a time with the line and be competitive but if not i have to go out and practice for 40+ laps to match the pace and consistency 

Plasmaraider

Also everyone keep in mind, turns 5 and 6 are extremely broken, you can easily run wide intentionally on 5 and get an amazing line coming back onto track through 6 and have a 4-5 tenths advantage because of it. Just something to keep an eye out for. Same with the exit of turn 9 from what ive noticed, you can easily gain 2-3 tenths through there as well

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
LAcadien said:

Its not really driving if all you do is to follow a line and brake when its red and accelerate when its green. The reason you are probably struggling that much is because of the colors that hints to brake and accelerate. 

My suggestion is go on Youtube look at a video of the lap and see where are the breaking points. I never turned on the racing line for learning France. Its quite easy to learn a track, I go as a baseline that my braking points will always be 100 meter board and from there I see if I am braking too soon or too late. 

Also looked at your times and you could be battling mid field so its either if you wanna fun battling with people or you want to be competitive with a racing line. Also with the game this year, with ERS Management, Tire Management it means there is a lot of possibilities in a race.

moogleslam

Premium Member
Probably only took me 10 laps to get around and know what corner was coming up. I'm still super slow, but learning the basic layout is fairly easy on this circuit compared to some others. I plan to be a bit faster come the regular season race here, but this is just pre-season :)

Darklol

Director
Staff member
Full Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Yea exactly the same thing for me. I "think" I've done a decent lap on TT but tire wear seems to be a huge thing on this track. I believe the fun part will be the races this year, how people use their ERS and their tires.

LAcadien

Premium Member
well i tried without it and its no good.. would like to have more time to practice but i dont.. the line help to keep my speed in corners and it help me to learn the fast points and slow points of the track.. i guess we all have our way to race but for me, i need the corner only line to do a decent time.. i can deal with no ABS and TT but not without the line.. and personnaly i think it sucks because of somes reckless drivers PRL have to remove all the assists. I mean ok for ABS and TT cause it might do a difference but i still dont think the line play a role in reckless driving.. when we had assists, i was always carefull to limit my speed in traffic and was not focusing on the line but on the cars around me.. well thats just my opinion but its sad that somes have to pay because of others.

Plasmaraider

LAcadien said:
well i tried without it and its no good.. would like to have more time to practice but i dont.. the line help to keep my speed in corners and it help me to learn the fast points and slow points of the track.. i guess we all have our way to race but for me, i need the corner only line to do a decent time.. i can deal with no ABS and TT but not without the line.. and personnaly i think it sucks because of somes reckless drivers PRL have to remove all the assists. I mean ok for ABS and TT cause it might do a difference but i still dont think the line play a role in reckless driving.. when we had assists, i was always carefull to limit my speed in traffic and was not focusing on the line but on the cars around me.. well thats just my opinion but its sad that somes have to pay because of others.
While i understand your point of view and such. Everyone is coming into this knowing the amount of time theyre expected to put in and also that they are not going to have any assists during the race. Along with that, getting hit and taken out by another driver unfortunately happens, even in the highest level of motorsports, thats just how racing is.

moogleslam

Premium Member
LAcadien said:

When I got this game, I had never raced at Paul Ricard, Baku, Mexico, and barely knew Sochi either.  In career, I tried learning Baku with the racing line, but I was getting no where.  I quickly realized that I was only following a line, and not learning the circuit at all.  I could have followed that line for 2 hours and still not learned the circuit.   I turned it off, and in a half dozen laps, I had learned the layout, turns and braking points.  I wasn't fast yet, but I could complete laps without incident.  Honestly, I think that's the best way to learn any circuit, and relying on the racing line actually holds you back.

So that's what I did for Paul Ricard too, and I didn't waste time with the racing line.  I really do look at it as an unfair assist.  I've certainly found myself forgetting what brake marker I want to use, or even forgetting what part of the circuit I'm on with circuits like Singapore, Baku, or even here at Paul Ricard where things look a bit the same at different parts of the circuit, and I should rightly be punished for forgetting, by running wide, or into a wall..... whereas if I had a racing line, I don't need to focus on anything but when the line turns red to tell me to push a pedal.

If you get a seat for tonight, I wouldn't worry about being fast.  I'm honestly going to use qualifying to keep learning the circuit, and not to worry about managing tires (I won't be in the top 10 anyway), or trying to do the fastest lap I can on light fuel etc.  I'll probably just go out and do laps for the full 15 minutes.  Just have fun, treat it like a practice, make sure we've got settings figured out, and that online works etc.