Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Practice Race 2 - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - Full Course / Afternoon (22 Mar)

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
PRL Thursday Indycar Series will hold the second practice / recruitment race on March 22. As always, please invite anyone and everyone - the more drivers we have, the more fun it will be.

This race will be a good opportunity for us to get some experience with the IR18 on a road course. 

Race Length: 45 Laps / 50 min
Start Type: Rolling Start
Fuel Amount: 100%
Weather: Dynamic Weather
Time of Day: Afternoon

Race Day: Thursday March 22
Practice: 6pm EDT (180 minutes)
Qualifying: 9pm EDT (10 minutes)
Race: 9:10pm EDT (45 laps or 50 minutes)

Pre-Race Interview
1. Pre-Season Round 1 is in the books. What do you like / dislike about the Dallara IR18?
2. We are at Laguna Seca this week. Are you a fan of this track?
3. F1 starts in a week. Assuming you follow - who is your favourite driver and why?

Gunner

Organizer
Full Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
Pre-Race Interview
1. Pre-Season Round 1 is in the books. What do you like / dislike about the Dallara IR18?

I like the sound of it!  It is very much a completely different car than I am used to, so I have a LOT of learning to do on how to handle it properly, and find the limits without exceeding them (poorly timed throttle input is ......unforgiving)

I haven't ran a lot of laps here, but it is a fun track to drive around.  The corkscrew is a very unique and challenging pair of corners.

3. F1 starts in a week. Assuming you follow - who is your favourite driver and why?  

It is really tough to pinpoint a favorite individual driver, I root for a lot of them.  I am however a Ferrari fan, so will push for Vettel to win a championship with them.

As an extra, is anyone having luck finding setups out there for this car yet?  It is so new to me I have trouble building setups while I am still learning how to handle the car in general (as in understeer may be driver error, not setup related, and so on)  I am practicing just with the high DF pack around here for now, but would hope to get more of a handle on the car before the season starts.  I think we can all benefit from sharing knowledge about the car and have a good competitive series.  I am more than willing to share once I am more confident in my own driving and setups that I am using.

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
I like how we have to respect the power of the car and manage throttle application. In the PM you could just mash the pedal and not worry where now there is going to be a battle of applying more throttle than someone else trying to get a better run out of the corner. It just feels like a proper race car.
Love Seca! One of the greatest American tracks. I HATE the Andretti hairpin though. It is too inviting to be over driven.
Hard not to root for Ricciardo.

mclachlanol

Organizer
Full Name
Owen McLachlan
iRacing ID
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. Pre-Season Round 1 is in the books. What do you like / dislike about the Dallara IR18?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I like the challenge of learning a new car, I had a horrible race at NH but hopefully I'll get it out of my system before the first race.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2. We are at Laguna Seca this week. Are you a fan of this track?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I like the track, I come here ever other year to watch a race. It's a great place to watch (and you get a good workout too climbing up to the s curves).[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3. F1 starts in a week. Assuming you follow - who is your favourite driver and why?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I like to see Mclaren do well with the new engine.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I attached the latest setup I have been working on(qualifying). I'm able to get in the low 07s constantly with my fastest at 06.9 on a warm track. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have been trying to figure out some of the settings, so far I have been playing with (starting from the default HD setup):[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Front anti-roll bar (lower numbers = more over steer, higher numbers = more push) You can adjust this while driving to make small adjustments to your setup. I found it to be helpful to fine tune your set. I haven't done a long enough stint to see if you need to adjust on older tires though.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Rear anti-roll bar (couldn't tell much of a difference either way) You can also adjust this while driving, need more laps to figure out if it is any use for this track.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Weight Jacker cannot be adjusted on road course's.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I added the third spring for both front and back and I think it gave me some extra grip. There is also the gap adjustment with the third spring, but I haven't figured out what it does.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I lowered the preload to 50, and adjusted the ramp angles to 30/85, for me that helped with the oversteer coming out of the slow corners but still felt fast enough.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I changed the damper settings to the same I use for the Pro-Mazda to help the curbs.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]So far that's where I'm at. Of course being new to this car I could be completely wrong on all accounts  :p , but that is what practice is for. See you guys tomorrow![/font]

Attachments

• LegunaQ.sto
    3 KB · Views: 4

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
I will quickly chime in here, since it isn't race time yet...

1. This car is FUN. I like that it doesn't sound like a chain saw, and iRacing has modeled the backfires because fire is cool. I am learning that there are throttle applications that are not 0% or 100%...

2. I like Laguna Seca. I cut my teeth here in the MX-5 many moons ago.

3. I have always been a Ferrari fan which means I am torn between Seb and Kimi, but I have to say the nod goes to Kimi because a) we are both really good looking, and b) we have similar senses of humour. I also would like to see Hartley do well. Alonso ... I just feel bad for the guy so I am cheering for him on the inside. The McLaren paint is by far the best, so that team gets my approval as well.

Owen - I don't know how you are doing those laptimes. I tried your setup and I was struggling to get INTO the 1:08's. I would say that your analysis of what does what seems accurate. Thanks for posting that - I had yet to dabble with the 3rd spring or differential.

TRG

Manager
Staff member
Full Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Race Recap.
Crash.
Crash.
Crash.
Crash.
Crash.
Crash.
Crash.
Fastest lap Tyler.  :mrgreen:

That was a lot of fun, regardless. It is clear that we are all still learning to drive this car, so I think it has really leveled the playing field, so to speak. I am really looking forward to this season!

paulwildridge

Premium Member
Full Name
Paul Wildridge
iRacing ID
I think you missed a crash or 2 in there lol! Even though everyone is getting up to speed and trying to figure this car out it is a blast to drive. Really takes concentration and work to drive this thing fast where the pro mazda you could make minor mistakes and it not hurt you much. It is always a good time though. This is a great group of guys to race with!