Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Orange Zone Review - Missing

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
So after the first race, at Spa, is the Orange Zone not a thing anymore?? Not 100% sure about Round 2, but Round 3 there was some definite "send it" people going into Turn 5, Lap 1.

They caused an accident and bottled up everyone behind them. I got a 4x because the car that was dive-bombed was sitting in the middle of the track, perpendicular to the race direction. That was the only incidents I had the entire race. It's kinda frustrating that I, as I'm sure others do as well, take it easy the first lap and to be respectful of the other racers, knowing where I qualified and just holding station till we all get a lap on our tires. It's frustrating that while I'm taking it easy and being mindful of: A.) Not making a mistake so I cause a wreck, or B.) Not being AGGRESSIVE on Lap 1 because that is the RULES, others are already aggressively racing.

Sure, if someone gets loose coming out of a turn and I get a big-time run and can pass them easily, I might go for that - but I also might not as we are generally still bunched up if you're outside the top 6 or 8...

I don't know why we have this "Orange Zone" if some people are held accountable to it (ie., those in Round 1) whilst others are NOT. The incident at Turn 5, Lap 1 at Road America was definitely an Orange Zone infraction, not to mention would've been a **** move any lap after lap 1. The fact that an AGGRESSIVE move like that was made under so-called "Orange Zone" conditions tells me that it really only applies to some people - and maybe most, but NOT all.

Example;

Matt Hilton got a 10-point penalty from an "Orange Zone" incident at Spa with me. It was a slight touch of the rear of my car. He got his front left just slightly into the grass coming into the old Bus Stop chicane. Touched my left-rear and I lost a bit of time. He spun, and lost a boat-load of time. Completely accidental as you could see he didn't mean to drift over to the grass (obviously), and he and I talked after the race - he apologized and I told him no biggie, knew it was a racing incident and had forgot about it. He gets a 10 POINT PENALTY. Which, in all fairness is the rules, I've had to accept a penalty as well in previous seasons.

The Torpedo move that happened at RA on Lap 1 was 10 times worse than Matt's slight misjudgment at Spa, as he even said when it happened "sorry about that" (which, he apologized and I forgot it).
The clown that took out Brian Hotham pinched him (and another car to the outside - forcing a 3-wide into Turn 5 in the Orange Zone.

If some things are gonna be reviewed, and some are not - I'm just wondering how you decide which is which??

Anyway, guess I just want some clarification so I'm not the Tool that's taking easy and careful on Lap 1 while others are "racing".

Thanks,
-Barry C.

Last edited:

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Wow, that escalated quickly and went from what could have been a simple question to a full blown conspiracy theory about some people not being held accountable.

Remember that we are all volunteers that put this league together in our spare time between balancing careers, families, and other commitments. There will be times when real life gets in the way of pretend race cars and things are delayed.

I'll let Kenny Rodriguez respond, but making the grandiose claims as you have above and getting aggressive with the fonts isn't necessary when you don't have all of the facts.

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
barryf1fan
Ken tagged the series in the Road America thread.
You should have received it.
Maybe check your e-mail before posting such nonsense.

"I have been trying to get a full replay of lap 1 for the Orange Zone review as my iRacing unexpectedly quit on me after the server closed. That never happened before. So I was not able to review up until now. If anyone has a replay file, I can give you a link of where t upload it so that I can review. Sorry about this.

The other option is to have anyone involved in a lap 1 incident submit a protest, but that also has to be accompanied with a replay file so I'd rather do it myself.

If anyone has the replay from this past Monday, let me know. Again, very sorry about this."

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
barryf1fan
Ken tagged the series in the Road America thread.
You should have received it.
Maybe check your e-mail before posting such nonsense.

"I have been trying to get a full replay of lap 1 for the Orange Zone review as my iRacing unexpectedly quit on me after the server closed. That never happened before. So I was not able to review up until now. If anyone has a replay file, I can give you a link of where t upload it so that I can review. Sorry about this.

The other option is to have anyone involved in a lap 1 incident submit a protest, but that also has to be accompanied with a replay file so I'd rather do it myself.

If anyone has the replay from this past Monday, let me know. Again, very sorry about this."

"Nonsense"?

I was just curious about it Gary. I posted this before he posted what he did about not having the replay. The orange zone thread is locked...
Should I consider my hand slapped? It was just a question...

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
Wow, that escalated quickly and went from what could have been a simple question to a full blown conspiracy theory about some people not being held accountable.

Remember that we are all volunteers that put this league together in our spare time between balancing careers, families, and other commitments. There will be times when real life gets in the way of pretend race cars and things are delayed.

I'll let Kenny Rodriguez respond, but making the grandiose claims as you have above and getting aggressive with the fonts isn't necessary when you don't have all of the facts.

Well, I apologize Tyler. Seriously.

I just gave an example of something I thought was a bit harsh (the Spa incident).
Also, didn't realize utilizing the forum tools for font color or bold was an issue... Now I know. (y)

I feel that the Orange Zone for Road America would have not been reviewed had it not been brought up - and again, the orange zone thread is locked.

Thanks!

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
You can use the forum tools, but the tone of your post pointed to accusing management of something that would never happen. We take fairness extremely seriously. Feel free to ask around about the last time claims like that were made...

You are not correct in stating that the review would not have taken place had you not brought it up. I asked Kenny about round 2 last week and would have followed up with him this weekend had I not seen his post in the round 3 thread.

Your apology is accepted, moving on!

Gary Schilling

Premium Member
Name
Gary W Schilling
iRacing ID
What is actually stated is you do not have to.
Nothing says you can't and again it would have been better for you to voice your concerns via PM.

• All parade lap and lap one incidents are automatically reviewed and submitted to the race stewards for review and action. What this means is that you as a driver do not need to submit a protest form for any lap one incidents to save your protest tokens for other issues that might occur during a race.
    • This process is done automatically for you during Orange Zone racing.

barryf1fan

Premium Member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Name
Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID
What is actually stated is you do not have to.
Nothing says you can't and again it would have been better for you to voice your concerns via PM.

• All parade lap and lap one incidents are automatically reviewed and submitted to the race stewards for review and action. What this means is that you as a driver do not need to submit a protest form for any lap one incidents to save your protest tokens for other issues that might occur during a race.
    • This process is done automatically for you during Orange Zone racing.

You literally just provided what I pointed out in my post. That, and at the first drivers meeting - this season and last - Kenny stated that he (you guys at PRL) didn't need a bunch of first lap protests coming in because it (Lap 1 incidents) would be reviewed via the orange zone automatically, every race.

As far as PM's go, you could have moved this to PM's but you have chosen not to... Why is that?

I have read PRL's rules and have taken this (the PRL league and my iRacing endeavor) pretty serious, sure, it's a game, but a game most of us have spent thousands of dollars on and hundreds (if not thousands again) of hours investing in our "hobby". I'm sure you have; as well as every other driver on the virtual grid. I'm no where near the driver of those in our Monday night races, but have worked hard on my race craft and tried to be a better racer and a more courteous "back-marker" when that becomes an issue. Feeling like I've improved from a couple of seasons ago in the GT4's - it can be a little intimidating, as I'm not racing 2, 3, 4k or more drivers in my "official" races in iRacing. People, especially new people to your series can feel pretty overwhelmed, I know I was. Maybe just something to consider there.

I have really enjoyed, thoroughly enjoyed, being involved in this Monday night series as well as the Thursday night shenanigans. I think you and Kenny do a fantastic job with the series, bar this one occurrence. If you would like for me to "just move along" because I (for lack of a better term) challenged something, then just say so (here or in PM) - you don't need to quote rules for me.

Thanks bud! And hope to see you Monday night as I'm really looking forward to Belle Isle (for some masochist reason...).

Kenny Rodriguez

Organizer
GT3 Sprint Series 2022/S3
GT3 Fixed Series 2022/S4
Name
Kenneth Rodriguez
iRacing ID
You literally just provided what I pointed out in my post. That, and at the first drivers meeting - this season and last - Kenny stated that he (you guys at PRL) didn't need a bunch of first lap protests coming in because it (Lap 1 incidents) would be reviewed via the orange zone automatically, every race.

As far as PM's go, you could have moved this to PM's but you have chosen not to... Why is that?

I have read PRL's rules and have taken this (the PRL league and my iRacing endeavor) pretty serious, sure, it's a game, but a game most of us have spent thousands of dollars on and hundreds (if not thousands again) of hours investing in our "hobby". I'm sure you have; as well as every other driver on the virtual grid. I'm no where near the driver of those in our Monday night races, but have worked hard on my race craft and tried to be a better racer and a more courteous "back-marker" when that becomes an issue. Feeling like I've improved from a couple of seasons ago in the GT4's - it can be a little intimidating, as I'm not racing 2, 3, 4k or more drivers in my "official" races in iRacing. People, especially new people to your series can feel pretty overwhelmed, I know I was. Maybe just something to consider there.

I have really enjoyed, thoroughly enjoyed, being involved in this Monday night series as well as the Thursday night shenanigans. I think you and Kenny do a fantastic job with the series, bar this one occurrence. If you would like for me to "just move along" because I (for lack of a better term) challenged something, then just say so (here or in PM) - you don't need to quote rules for me.

Thanks bud! And hope to see you Monday night as I'm really looking forward to Belle Isle (for some masochist reason...).
Just getting to some of the posts here. Barry, you can always feel free to reach out to Gary or me or both directly if you have any questions or concerns. We are here for all of you equally and will always make ourselves available. I strongly encourage private contact first, before posting any emotionally charged/perception posts here in the public forums as most issues can be addressed/resolved beforehand.

This does not in any way endorse not posting in the public forums. Simply that Gary or I can almost 100% of the time address any issues, comments questions or concerns you might have.

As far as I'm concerned, no harm no foul. ;)

I have been a little backed up due to real-world work issues and prep for the D24 race this past weekend but we should be back on track moving forward. I offer my apologies for not having the Round 3 replay file. As I indicated this was beyond my control and I unfortunately could not find a playable replay file from others due to graphical settings in their sims. I will be sure to save all replays immediately moving forward.

Thanks.