Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

OBS Settings

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
Over a year ago I used to stream my races on Twitch, and they were pretty decent quality streams. I stopped streaming though, due to internet connection issues that got to the point where I figured streaming wasn't worth it. I upgrade my internet a while back and have since not had the internet connection issues that I had before, but for some reason my streams are choppy now, dropping about 65% of the frames. I've tried everything except for running OBS on a separate computer since I don't have a second computer. What doesn't make sense to me is that my computer has been completely upgraded since the time I last streamed a race. My previous build had an AMD FX-8350 processor, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card. Now I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and a GeForce RTX 3060 ti. My computer doesn't have a lot of stuff on it, so I can't think of anything that may be running in the background causing an issue. My computer is literally used for iRacing, remote access to my work computer, or painting cars on photoshop, nothing else. I don't play other games, or have any other games installed. Anywho, the reason for this post is I'm wondering if anyone has similar equipment and could share what they use to stream or their output and video settings in hopes that maybe I can figure out what is causing my choppy streams. I know of some people with older tech that stream fine, so I don't know what my issue is.

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
So either you usr your sim PC or another PC it's still dropping frame rate?
I have always just streamed straight from my sim racing PC. I wouldn't even know where to begin on streaming from a separate PC, I've never had to be that fancy. But prior to all my upgrades, I was able to stream, from my sim racing PC, and had no issues. After the upgrade, I haven't been able to stream due to the dropped frames. I did also install a Solid State Drive, and OBS is installed on it, but I wouldn't think that would cause any issues.

Kemosobie03

Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I did some further research, and it could possibly be my router, since my router seems to have been taking a crap for the past 6 months. I will just have to replace it and find out if that solves my issue. I have only ever had problems with my wifi though and not my ethernet, so I don't know if that will make a difference. (My PC doesn't use wifi and never will)

Laughlin

Manager
Staff member
Name
Nick McLaughlin
iRacing ID
Most likely it is not the pc causing dropped frames, I find thats usually network issues.
But worth noting, launch OBS in admin mode so it takes priority.