Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

New racing rules - Minimum 18yo required

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Hi everyone,

Effective right now, a new rule was added under our official racing rules.

1634127393371.png

We would like to start by indicating that all drivers under 18 we have identified have been refunded and removed from league on iRacing. The only drivers we did not refund was because they were parked because of a steward decision.

We have received plenty of message on the forum, PM & Discord PM regarding that last minute change. We understand it look harsh and a last minute call, but we have facts and numbers to justified that. Let me share that with you!

FACTS & NUMBERS
This season, for all our 5 road series (MX-5, both GT3, Ferrari fixed and F3), we received a total of 20 protests in 17 races.

8 of these protests were against drivers of 18 years old and less, which means 40% of our protests record.

For 2021/S4, we have a total of 210 drivers across these 5 road series. 7 drivers were identified as 18 years old and less (4%).

Which means that 4% of registered drivers (under 18) are responsible of 40% of the protests we received.

CONCLUSION
Based on the number we shared above, we needed to do something! I remind everyone that all PRL staff is working on a volunteer basis and we all have family to take care of! We are using our free time to work behind the scene to provide 7 series to PRL! After not even 4 weeks, we received too much protest then we would expected which raise a concern for us. The management team met together and we strongly thing that applying such rule will calm things from a stewarding standpoint.

Why are we not only removing drivers under 18 with stewarding history? Again, by the look of the numbers shared above, we can clearly see that there is a trend where drivers under 18 are responsible of too many incidents. These incidents have DNF'd a lot of cars. Now, for the drivers involved in these incidents, it's too late! These damage/DNFs can't be fixed from a drivers/teams championship perspective. By applying such rule, we want to prevent as much as we can these situation.

I would like to remind to everyone PRL's mission:

Precision Racing League is one of the largest online racing communities in the world providing championships on PC/iRacing. Our goal is to provide fun, fair, and competitive racing for everyone. Inside and outside of racing our values are based on respect, forgiveness, communication, friendship, and patience. We live by the donations of our amazing members and sponsors; built from the foundation of our values to provide new ideas, new championships, new web site content, new league services, and practice sessions for all championships. Our team of managers and organizers work countless hours 7 days a week on a voluntary basis to make the championships our community members deserve.

Again, based on numbers shared above, we think we failed to provide fun, fair and competitive racing in 2021/S4, thus the decision we took to remove drivers under 18 years old.

Feel free to comment in a diplomatic way! If you want more explanation or details, you are free to PM me, or even reach out to our staff using the contact us form.

We wish you all a good end of 2021/S4!! There is still lot of racing ahead of us!!

skostewicz

Name
Spencer Kostewicz
iRacing ID
Would you guys be able to provide the age distribution across all series? Prior to these drivers being removed, of course.

Paulowsky21

Premium Member
Name
Paulo Munoz
iRacing ID
Hi guys,

While I’m not racing this season (or probably ever again) I’d like to post my opinion. Simracing is supposed to be inclusive, open and for everyone. Putting age restrictions, specially mid season which is changing the terms that were set at the start of it, is simply unacceptable in my eyes. There are plenty of very skilled and very reasonable under 18 drivers that have raced PRL. Rodrigo Meezs was 16 when he first started racing here, winning two titles If i remember correctly. At the same time, there are some pretty questionable drivers that will remain on the roster.

PRL has gone downhill since it started trying to cater for all types of racing, at all levels. The number of series is way too high, which causes the stewarding issues Jerome mentions in his post. I don’t think the argument of “We’re receiving too many protests” is acceptable. I understand that stewards have lives, and jobs, family, etc. but personally, I wouldn’t volunteer for something I don’t have time to do.

I think you’re trying to solve a stewarding and staff problem by limiting the number of elegible drivers.

Paulo

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Sprint Series 2022/S3
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
First of all, I would like to thank all members who have provided feedback to this decision. This was not a fun and easy call to make and everyone remained polite and diplomatic. We understand members' reactions whether you are for or against that decision.

After giving it more thoughts and after taking members' feedback into account, we did not realize the impact this decision had on some members/teams. We should not have penalized all drivers under 18 because of recent events only. The decision was taken based on facts and numbers and we were looking only at this and not a larger scope.

After a long meeting with the management team, we have come to a compromise that we hope will please everyone. The first decision is to remove any midseason rule changes for 2021/S4 because drivers who are currently competing did not agree upon registration. However, drivers that were suspended based on a stewards decision will be unchanged.

Starting in 2022/S1, we will implement new rules for drivers under 16 years of age. We will post it in the near future and make a board announcement again.

We will also add more details in the Penalty Matrix regarding the upcoming changes.

Again, we appreciate the feedback from our loyal membership and look forward to racing with you in the future.

See you around the track! (not me though because I have diapers to change!)