Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

New racer GT4 questions

PartyHatPete

Name
Austin Johnson
iRacing ID
Hello everyone, I'm new to iracing and I just got my Class D road license. I am looking to work my way up to doing the GT3/LMP2 races, but want to start racing in the IMSA Michelin Pilot series. What car would you guys recommend for newer racers to build a good racing foundation on?

Laughlin

Manager
Staff member
Name
Nick McLaughlin
iRacing ID
Personally, I think the very best car to build a racing foundation on, is the MX-5.
Between GT4 & TCR, I think I'd lean towards GT4 if GT3/LMP is your end goal. TCR is fantastic racing but the driving style is quite different.
That may be a better question for these other cats as I haven't a lot of experience myself with them.

arnaudgenest

Director
Staff member
Name
Arnaud Genest
iRacing ID
Agreed Laughlin . GT4 allows practice managing threshold breaking with the assistance of ABS on top of feathering the throttle on the corner exit.
This will help when it comes to jumping in the Gt3s..

As for cars selection, I can't comment much but I find the Caymen very well-balanced and fun.

Kenny Rodriguez

Organizer
Name
Kenneth Rodriguez
iRacing ID
If you're going GT-4, the Porsche and BMW are very good cars. They each drive a little differently. The BMW is more planted and the Porsche tends to favor a loose rear end. But both will teach you a lot about trail braking and throttle modulation.

millenix

Manager
Staff member
Name
JR Williams
iRacing ID
I said this in discord also, but Porsche is a great car to learn with. It has a very even balance and will drive more like other race cars are you progress. BMW is more planted and front heavy.

pnewhook

Premium Member
Name
Peter Newhook
iRacing ID
PartyHatPete welcome to iRacing and congratulations on your D license. Unless iRacing surprises us with the 2022 season 2 release, there are 3 GT4 Choices, the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR, BMW M4 GT4, and McLaren 570S GT4. It's largely personal preference but I think you should focus on either the McLaren or the Porsche. The BMW is not especially loved, it's doesn't want to turn and is prone to both understeering and oversteering. There are people that can drive it quickly after enough practice, but it's not a great starter. There's a BMW D series, but if you want to race in this league you're better off getting your C license to practice in the official IMSA Pilot series. Porsche is the most popular in official races, and I think it has a slight performance advantage this season. The Porsche GT4 can also be used in the Nurburgring endurance races, which is nice. But the McLaren blows fire from it's exhaust, which is awesome. Robbie_gtc also demolished us a couple seasons ago in the McLaren.

There are a few things to keep in mind with all the GT4 cars
  • GT4 tires take a fair bit of time to heat up. It'll feel like you're floating the first couple laps. Give them time then they'll grip up nicely.
  • There's enough horsepower to get you in trouble, especially on cold tires.
  • The GT3 version of each car doesn't specifically behave like the GT4 equivalent from each brand, so don't let that sway your decision.
I've been sim racing for about a year and half. I worked through the licenses pretty quickly, but the last two seasons I've had the most fun in the Advanced Mazda league. Slower cars tend to have closer racing, and it's easier to learn driving technique at lower speeds.

PartyHatPete

Name
Austin Johnson
iRacing ID
Wow, These responses are extremely helpful, I really appreciate everyone's input and thorough explanations for their answers. I can't wait to progress through my iracing career and better myself as a faster AND safer driver. Again thank you all for the input! 😁

Robbie_gtc

Premium Member
Name
Robbie Campbell
iRacing ID
Robbie_gtc pnewhook any tips!!?? Or maybe it would be a question millenix or Laughlin can answer!?
You are definitely going to want a stepping stone before hitting GT3..

The Mazda's can be good for getting used to racing with others in close quarters at slower speeds. If already comfortable with that then GT4 is probably your next step, or TCR. The new TCR's are incredibly fun to drive but do take a understanding of how to make them work compared to the rest of the cars on the service as you are braking, turning and powering the car all with the front end.

As far as a GT4 of choice, The Porsche has been the easiest to pick up and get to speed on. It is also easiest on its tires as well.

The Mclaren is mid motor, slightly larger and can be just as fast or faster. but you can use up your front tires a lot quicker if not careful.

Whichever of those 3 classes you choose you will have gobs of fun in this league.

Welcome and best of luck.

Robbie_gtc

Premium Member
Name
Robbie Campbell
iRacing ID
PartyHatPete welcome to iRacing and congratulations on your D license. Unless iRacing surprises us with the 2022 season 2 release, there are 3 GT4 Choices, the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport MR, BMW M4 GT4, and McLaren 570S GT4. It's largely personal preference but I think you should focus on either the McLaren or the Porsche. The BMW is not especially loved, it's doesn't want to turn and is prone to both understeering and oversteering. There are people that can drive it quickly after enough practice, but it's not a great starter. There's a BMW D series, but if you want to race in this league you're better off getting your C license to practice in the official IMSA Pilot series. Porsche is the most popular in official races, and I think it has a slight performance advantage this season. The Porsche GT4 can also be used in the Nurburgring endurance races, which is nice. But the McLaren blows fire from it's exhaust, which is awesome. Robbie_gtc also demolished us a couple seasons ago in the McLaren.

There are a few things to keep in mind with all the GT4 cars
  • GT4 tires take a fair bit of time to heat up. It'll feel like you're floating the first couple laps. Give them time then they'll grip up nicely.
  • There's enough horsepower to get you in trouble, especially on cold tires.
  • The GT3 version of each car doesn't specifically behave like the GT4 equivalent from each brand, so don't let that sway your decision.
I've been sim racing for about a year and half. I worked through the licenses pretty quickly, but the last two seasons I've had the most fun in the Advanced Mazda league. Slower cars tend to have closer racing, and it's easier to learn driving technique at lower speeds.
Hey Peter, how are ya. Not sure I would say I demolished... ;)

Still debating what I want to enter for next season but seeing GT4 back has me interested.