Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Ideas to grow GTE?

FKNCommishLB

Name
James LeBlond
iRacing ID
Hi guys,

So we continue to have high signups, which leaves some people out in the cold. I have a suggestion that should hopefully support growth:

1) How about we establish Teams before the signups are done, and amend the rules that a Team has 3 Drivers on it, BUT only two cars race a week? There'll have to be a minimum number of races a person must race. This can create strategy on when to select weaker/stronger drivers while competing for Team Points. I also think this would help us keep more cars on the field towards the end of the season, since people can plan ahead a bit better for when it's not their week to race.

My thought: This could get us 15-20 teams a season (Maybe a few more? 22 teams?), having 2 cars on the field each race. You'd have up to 60 people who can sign up this way to be part of the season, and make each week a bit more engaging on how to enter it. Go with your weaker drivers at Imola, and bring out your top two drivers at Belle Isle? I'd assume a minimum of 5 races have to be driven by each team member, but maybe even cap to a maximum number....8? This way there's more strategy. The other person can always spot to involve themselves that week!

2) How about we institute a cap on how much iRating a team can have? We've had several "Superpower" Teams each season, which generally takes from the Team Events. I propose either a Maximum Team iRating, or a Cap on the Average iRating a team can have, while still conforming to our Minimum Requirements to join. No going to get a 500 iR guy to get by!

My thought: If we have more drivers, and balance out the parity a bit more, it could really make for more interesting end of season races. Perhaps because there's more potential signups in this format, it will provide some funds in a pool to provide iRacing credits for various things? Low Incident award? I'd think a Team Championship in this format can be more worthwhile to win.
I have other ideas, but I'm out of time for the moment. Curious if anyone thinks this would be good for PRL?

What would you suggest? I want to see us continue to grow and become more competitive!

jeromef1

League Owner
Staff member
GT4 Fixed Series 2022/S4
Name
Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID
Hi James, thanks for those ideas, we will surely discuss them for future championship!

FKNCommishLB

Name
James LeBlond
iRacing ID
jeromef1 said:
Hi James, thanks for those ideas, we will surely discuss them for future championship!

Thanks, Jerome.

While I don't assume anything in the future, seeing there are awards/prizes from Buttkicker this season, it's even more of a reason that I feel we should limit the top talent from teaming up. While I'm not trying to single anyone out in any negative light, when we enter a season with teams like a Perez/Eissler, Acosta/Diaz or I assume Acosta/Modoff this season, you might as well just give them the freebies now.

Again, please don't take it as a negative. See it as we need to have the later weeks of the season be very engaging and getting eyeballs to watch the broadcasts. I feel the above suggestions can improve on that. Nothing will ever be perfect, but I feel these are steps in the right direction, and can help PRL as a whole with more individuals willing to sign up under these proposed changes. Being on a reserve roster does no one any good. Let's get more people active and engaged, even if they understand they may only race a minimum of 5 races for their team.

Spinn

Premium Member
Name
Spencer Semkowich
iRacing ID
Gary Schilling said:
Not sure how we could go about doing it, but having something like rated drivers would be an idea.
Each team would have to include a backmarker :)

You and I could start a bidding war over us!