Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Division Assignment

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
@Indy Pro 2000 Series 2021/S1

Driver division assignments are listed below. Just a quick note on this topic - we decided to deviate away from moving the top 3 / bottom 3 for several reasons:
  • Most of the bottom PRO drivers did not return, so moving the next 3 down would not be representative.
  • Moving all 3 top AM drivers from 2020S4 was also problematic from a competition perspective.
  • We did some math and ranked all drivers based on their aggregate lap times relative to the fastest lap of each race, as well as qualification time relative to the pole lap. This metric allowed us to better assess a where a driver would belong relative to other returning drivers to ensure the highest level of competition.
  • New drivers were placed into their division based upon iRating.

Pro DriversAm Drivers
Aaron RoufsAdam Helm
Alex GuyonAdam Wright4
Bret ThurmanBarry Cochrane
Claude RemillardBart Cook
Dan RivitoBrett Acord
Dave PetersonBrian Hotham
David MennenohChristopher Richards
Declan EadyChristopher Smorol
Eric LeblancDaniel Barnett
Frank NguyenDavid Hebert
Greg SeitzDon Bowden
Jean-Francois MatteDonald Olson
JR WilliamsJacob Exton
Julio PalacioJay Buege
Luis Gonzalez NuñezKyle Strycharz
Matthew S HallLucio A. Vargas
Michael BroomheadMatthew Gunderson
Mitch MullensNeil J Alexander
Nicholas JohnstonNicholas Colander
Olivier LegaultPaul Wildridge
Owen McLachlanSammy Bridges
Stephen VaradySebastien Proulx
Takeshi KitaShawn Duhamel
Walter GiacopuzziTyler Gore

Last edited:

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
There have been a couple questions on how we came to this for us returning drivers. So, for full transparency, the math that helped us make these assignments is as follows:
  • Each driver's fastest race lap was compared to the session fastest lap as a ratio. Think of F1's 107% rule. This was aggregated over the season. Outliers were eliminated for events like a first lap crash, etc.
  • The same was applied for Qualification times relative to the pole lap time.
  • From here, these two numbers were given a 50% weighting and out came a ratio that allowed us to rank every driver. That spreadsheet is shown below.
1608009446976.png

eleblanc

Name
Eric Leblanc
iRacing ID
Me in AM? you sure about this? as long i race i don't care but.... Did you remove like each drivers worse finish(es)?

JFMatte

Name
Jean-Francois Matte
iRacing ID
I find it very interesting to do it that way. But I think you guys should remove the one or 2 worst race, but I know it's lot of work for you.... I'm in team with Éric and Sébastien, and the consequence that both of them are in AM is that we can no longer compete in the Pro team championship, which was a big part of the fun. Éric is without a doubt a pro driver, very often in the top 10. He is greatly penalyzed because he finished an oval race with a damaged car, to grab the most points possible. That way of calculating would promote drivers not to finish their oval races if they sustain damage.

Last edited:

Gunner

Organizer
Name
Matthew Gunderson
iRacing ID
For clarity, there is only 1 team championship this season, so regardless of division assignment you will be competing with the same team in the same championship! The constructive feedback is appreciated and we will likely continue to refine the division process. But at least we didn't draw names out of a hat haha!

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
I'll be happy to have a look at Eric's calculations again. Stay tuned.

As you said, checking the calculations for 30+ drivers x 10 races is a massive amount of work.

JFMatte

Name
Jean-Francois Matte
iRacing ID
Great,thanks ! I didn't realize there was only 1 team championship. It's a great idea :) Yes a lot of work you guys put in this for our enjoyement. Big thumbs up !

TRG

Director
Staff member
Formula 4 Series 2022/S3
Formula 4 Series 2022/S4
Name
Tyler Gore
iRacing ID
Okay - so I had another look at it. Looks like Leblanc just missed the "outliers" calculation that I incorporated. I am going to apply the following changes (that are unrelated to each other)...

E Leblanc moves to PRO, A Wright moves to AM.

mclachlanol Gunner we can call these field classifications final and assign tags on the league page.